This is a Mooneye. Right?

Rod Caster

JoeyTier caught this little pirahna like fish in the Ottawa river, near Mattawa. I didn't know we had them up this way.

Looks exactly like the goldeye I used to catch in Alberta, minus the gold colored eye.

Next time I fish for big pike, I'm using a large silver Williams spoon.

100_0217-1.jpg

agreed Chris.... the body and mouth are the exact same. I was quite suprised to see them up here.

We fried some up in AB and they tasted like mud, ok in the smoker though.

Doesn't suprise me being a part of the gizard shad family.....yuk,double yuk !!

A dead giveaway is their tongue, has 2 saber like teeth on them. Really wild. I caught one at BOQ one time probably weighed at least a pound. Not much until you see how skinny they are. Good fight too actually, thought I had a small rainbow on at first.

A dead giveaway is their tongue, has 2 saber like teeth on them. Really wild. I caught one at BOQ one time probably weighed at least a pound. Not much until you see how skinny they are. Good fight too actually, thought I had a small rainbow on at first.

Yep, definitely a mooneye. I prefer to call them freshwater pirahna. :whistling:

Edited by Joeytier

Lots of fun to catch.

Tiny bit of worm on a #8 hook, below a float, makes a dozen worms last the morning.

Great to catch when all the other possibilities are slow.

The grand below the dam at Caledonia is a good start although they can be found almost anywhere

Edited by floatman55

There are lots of Mooneye in the Ottawa river system. We have fished there for a few years and always catch a couple.

We now know the Ontario Record for Mooneye is 1.43 lbs caught in the Rainy River system.

http://www.ofah.org/fishresources/index.cfm?ID=7

Below is a photo of one we caught and cut up for catfish bait shortly after photo. It was over 2lbs. :blink:

Recordmooneyesml.JPG

We did land some nice channel cats using the chunks. :)

In rainy river? well then, nothing suprising about the ottawa then.

Michael, you fed catfish a record fish? You could have been famous, a legendary Mooneye wrangler. Hehe that's a good size fish! I'm definitly using one for pike bait next time.