lost boat keys ,

lplp

Well after 14 years of leaving the keys in the boat ,they are gone.. I always left the keys in there because i figured if someone was going to steal ,why make a mess of everything ,enjoy it and let me collect the insurance. anyways , it is a 85 evinrude and i was going to start it for a guy that was going to buy it and could not find the keys anywhere, i have exhausted all the keys i have ,and even found ones i have no clue what they are for , is there a easy and cheap way to replace or maybe just keep on jamming a key in there and maybe it will move ,not sure how much to replace the whole swithch . 1979 year of boat.

Talk to an Evinrude dealer or just replace the ignition switch, you should be able to find something at CTC that will do the job. Just check to see how many terminals are on the back of the switch. The pin connection might be a little different than yours but as long as there are the same number of connectors you should be able to make it work.

You can get replacement keys through the dealer.

Look closely at the switch and take down the numbers stamped on it.

If you're lucky they will be stamped around the front where you insert the key, if not you will need to remove the switch to get the #'s.

Go to the dealer with those #'s and they can get you a replacement key.

You can get replacement keys through the dealer.

Look closely at the switch and take down the numbers stamped on it.

If you're lucky they will be stamped around the front where you insert the key, if not you will need to remove the switch to get the #'s.

Go to the dealer with those #'s and they can get you a replacement key.

Great,now every boat thief is going to read this and theres go the boat.Way to go Dave :tease::sarcasm:

Oh wait,this may work. Hello.I own a Lund proV and lost my keys. The numbers is,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope Tybo dont read this.LOL

Edited by Misfish

If you purchased your boat new from a dealer, there will be a record of the key #. Once you get the #, go to a lock smith and have one made. Bring your boat with you , have a key cut,to see if it fits and turns. Adjustments may have to be made. Thats the cheapest route you can go as long as you can get the #. Call the local dealer an have the vin # available, better to be there with boat. No charge for looking it up a number.

We have an old 85 Evenrude. The choke / Primer is build into the key switch. You push on the key to prime it.

If that's the same as yours, then replacing the ignition may be pricy.

I would be looking into a lock smith if that where the case.

A couple of years ago I was at a buddys cottage, well i got up before him and went down to the dock to take a few casts. He came down shortly after and said lets go! So we

un-tie from the dock put the trolling motor in and just start fishing. Well we fished for a few hours and then the fishing got slow so we decided to move to another spot. My buddy jumps behind the wheels and says ahhhh.....where is the key?wallbash.gif Well it was back at the cottage. We turned the boat inside out looking for something to start it with. We had

a swiss army knife and our tackle boxes. So he started opening the different tools in the swiss army knife, screwdriver...no luck....can opener?..... well it turned and the engine

roared to life..

So to maybe help you out, grab a swiss army knife and give the can opener a try. I agree resale is going to be tough but in a pinch, it will work!

We have an old 85 Evenrude. The choke / Primer is build into the key switch. You push on the key to prime it.

hundred bucks. Like a snowmachine. did it. My ignition got worn....and would just spin due to the back nut...hundred bux fixed it.

Yep, you push in for choke ,

Well i think i found the key,, and if someone is going to steal your boat a lock is for the honest thieves and the real ones will take it no matter what so you might as well leave the keys in and they wont make a mess ... just in case it does get found in some remote lake way up north .-going to give it a try today ,

Well i think i found the key,, and if someone is going to steal your boat a lock is for the honest thieves and the real ones will take it no matter what so you might as well leave the keys in and they wont make a mess ... just in case it does get found in some remote lake way up north .-going to give it a try today ,

I have so many keys around ,but have exhausted them all now, i am thinking the switch itself is messed up as the one i thought it was does turn and push in for choke ,, so i will see how pricey one is monday . too hot today ,

I have so many keys around ,but have exhausted them all now, i am thinking the switch itself is messed up as the one i thought it was does turn and push in for choke ,, so i will see how pricey one is monday . too hot today ,

Found a brand new key switch for 27 dollars with push in choke ,, just going to make sure it is the right one first.. and that is at a boat place in oakville on third line ,not sure of name .. problem of that solved.

Found a brand new key switch for 27 dollars with push in choke ,, just going to make sure it is the right one first.. and that is at a boat place in oakville on third line ,not sure of name .. problem of that solved.

Third Line, oakville? <_< <_< <_<.

PM sent. Be sure to read it!!!

Slayer