Just a heads up for you folks out there. *phone scam*

BillM

Just got a call from some guy telling my my computer has been infected with a virus and that it's sent some data up to their servers. Before he had a chance to give me the website addy, I tore him a new one and he hung up on me. Obviously this is some sort of company wanting you to buy their antivirus software. Obviously DO NOT even log into this website, who knows what you'll be infected with (I'm still pissed I didn't wait a bit to get the website addy). I've been in the IT game for 15 years so this just screamed scam to my right away, but I guarantee you this will get a lot of people...

Pass the word along :)

yeah, I got the same call

they told me my computer was sending a virus, I said which one

they said your XP computer...I said ok that narrows it down but I have 3 with xp..

they said the main one, I said the main one doesn't have XP..they said the xp computer that you use the most.I use a different one every day just to give them equal use......

I was having fun with them..

I said so what ip is sending the virus....your home ip they say...

I said OK give me your name and phone number and I will get back to you in about an Hour......click...............................what a joke

I found a much better way this morning. Rogers has called from 866-675-7438 at minimum 3 times, sometimes 5 times, a day for the last 3 weeks (sundays included at 8am!). No message... nobody there when you pick up. I was ready today and someone finally started talking after I said hello for the 4th time and I walked outside the shop with the old broken phone. I yelled "if you call here again", then set the phone down and blew the handset away with 12 gauge bird shot! We'll see what tomorrow brings... :w00t:

I found a much better way this morning. Rogers has called from 866-675-7438 at minimum 3 times, sometimes 5 times, a day for the last 3 weeks (sundays included at 8am!). No message... nobody there when you pick up. I was ready today and someone finally started talking after I said hello for the 4th time and I walked outside the shop with the old broken phone. I yelled "if you call here again", then set the phone down and blew the handset away with 12 gauge bird shot! We'll see what tomorrow brings... w00t.gif

LOL....I thought are chat sounded a little "choked." tongue.gif

This sucks as I know my father is one who will fall for it. He is loosing it now and will fall for any scam that comes his way. My wife gets calls all the time him asking if he should answer this email or that email. He is not a big phone guy but if someone were to tell him it would affect his computer he will get sucked in I hope they dont call that area.

On the other hand I feel sorry for people coming to his door I always wonder why his house does not get egged after people try to sell him stuff at the home.