Lower Unit Oil

Hey OFC, I got a 7.5hp Evinrude 2-stroke short shaft. Just asking what to look for at canadian tire for a change of the lower unit oil. I picked up Quicksilver oil for the gas/oil mix. Just want to know what to get for the LU and what size container to get would be helpful.

Thanks guys,

MTBF

Yes and if you can spare an extra coupla bucks get the screw-in nozzle kit. You'll save yourself a big mess. Make sure you check the washers for wear and replace if needed. Use a LARGE flat head screwdriver for the screws...and as Wayne would say, if you can hide it in your shirt, it's too small.

Good advice, another trip to cdn tire is in motion tomorrow then. I'll look for a large one then as well as the little pump thing. Not doing it myself, my friend is going to help me do that before I go out to Leeds & Thousand Islands...well run it once before too to make sure everything is sealed up good and runs ok. If I get a gas line this week I'll give it a test run in the yard :P

Castrol EP90 part #0152-39...

and as Roy stated... get the 15.00$ refill hose kit and avoid the mess.

*edit.

get a can of SEAFOAM for good measure put about 1/2 in the gas tank.

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Castrol EP90 part #0152-39...

and as Roy stated... get the 15.00$ refill hose kit and avoid the mess.

*edit.

get a can of SEAFOAM for good measure put about 1/2 in the gas tank.

I read about sea foam...why use it what does it clean and do? I'm not going to complain or steer away from 15bucks that makes things run smoother...just foolish

Yes and if you can spare an extra coupla bucks get the screw-in nozzle kit. You'll save yourself a big mess. Make sure you check the washers for wear and replace if needed. Use a LARGE flat head screwdriver for the screws...and as Wayne would say, if you can hide it in your shirt, it's too small.

Were talking a 7 an a half here Roy :wallbash: . It,s a simple task. Remove like said, the top and bottom screws, with a "LARGE FLAT HEAD "driver. Let drain. When you want to fill,push the lube into the bottom hole. Once it,s coming out the upper hole,plug the bottom with the screw and tighen.Then put in the upper screw. WHILE TIGHENING UP THE SCREWS,A LIGHT TAP ON THE HEAD OF THE DRIVER WITH A HAMMER WILL HELP SEAL AND TIGHEN THEM UP.

Edited by Misfish

Princess Auto has the refill pump on sale for about $5. That lower unit should hold about 300ml of oil. Nautilus oil is in a 1L blue bottle. That is what i have been using for a long time. I would like to buy it buy the 4L jug though.

the other CTC store (parts source) might be closer for you Mike and they may have it on sale. I still think Princess Auto over by the 401 and Thickson is your best bet.

If you need a hand tomorrow let me know. I might be able to get out for a bit.

G

I also suggest once it's full and coming out the top hole... to put the TOP screw back in FIRST while you still have the bottle squeezed in the bottom hole. If air can't get in then oil won't come out the bottom. Top screw in first.. remove the bottle/pump and then install the bottom screw.

Edited by irishfield

I have the exact same evinrude motor. Good motor, but use ethanol free gas only - higher grade. Anytime you plan on not using the motor for a couple of weeks disconnect the fuel hose and run it till it stalls and the fuel is out of the system. Winterize properly. It will be a great, dependable motor if you keep up with those things.

I also suggest once it's full and coming out the top hole... to put the TOP screw back in FIRST while you still have the bottle squeezed in the bottom hole. If air can't get in then oil won't come out the bottom. Top screw in first.. remove the bottle/pump and then install the bottom screw.

Thanks Wayne, Gapped that.

I have the exact same evinrude motor. Good motor, but use ethanol free gas only - higher grade. Anytime you plan on not using the motor for a couple of weeks disconnect the fuel hose and run it till it stalls and the fuel is out of the system. Winterize properly. It will be a great, dependable motor if you keep up with those things.

Hey not trying to jump the thread but i was wondering where you get ethanol free gas i was told all gas now had at least 10 % in it however the guy in town who sells gas told me that maby he dont not want to see me go lol

Anyone ever uses a product called Phaze 4?

Take Care

Sunoco or shell my still have ethanol free gas in there highest octane. I dont have either anywhere near me though.

Sunoco is now PetroCan and they have ethanol in everything, only the Shell premium is ethanol free..for the moment.

Hey everybody, I'm getting the products I need tomorrow. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Here is what I think I should do lol

Remove top and bottom screw...measure out how much drains out of the unit.

When filling up, fill from the bottom to the top...once full and coming out put the top screw in first...tap gently while turning it in.

Then put in bottom screw(super quick I assume)

Get Nautilus or Quick silver lower unit oil.

Buy Premium fuel for it...the expensive stuff...simple right?

And do I need to winterize...I like the run until it stalls on last trip out then store back in my bacement would be fine..maybe get the "fogging" advice from some of you...will be stored until early to late march when I get into some calm weather trolling for trout.

And have fun doing it :P

Thanks for the solid advice guys, If I'm putting in fancy gas I am not spending money on sea foam....2 bucks a L for the crap probably haha

Mike.. put container under skeg.. pull bottom screw first! Remove top screw and let drain. If it's milky you have a sealing washer or a prop seal issue. Run your fingers thru the oil.. make sure there's no metal in it. Fill thru bottom hole... fill until it's coming out the top hole well and it's clean new oil. Put top screw in with new washer.. remove bottle and put bottom screw back in with new washer. You don't have to be real quick.. but don't be a snail!