Lower Unit Oil

If your engine is made to run on 87 then run 87 it does not have less cleaners than the higher octane. Some of the higher octane does not have the ethanol but it depends on the brand. I have 138 gallons of fuel in my assorted boats at any given time and use sta-bil marine in all of them with no alcohol issues. I will also use seafoam on the first gas tank in the spring and every 5th fillup. One of the boats lives at the marina and the others are stored in a garage. I would rather spend the money treating the fuel correctly to keep me from expensive repairs. I have torn down carb's in boats,motorcycles and cars and their is a difference the ones that are maintained and those that are not. Also if you decide to switch from ethanol treated gas to non ethanol gas do not mix them they will gum up the carb's from chemical reaction (phase separation) and you will get a orange gel that will clog the filters and orifices.

Art

Hmm, ok...noted. Irish is it fine to drain it before I leave...just wanted to do it so I can find the right washer to put into it once I'm home...1h tops.

As for the metal in the oil or milky color...i wont be happy if i see that lol. Got the prop off today with GoneFishin over here and saw a nice 5mm ball of mono under the prop...good thing we did it, nice to get that out...lot's of sand behind the prop too...cleaned it out with toothbrush tho.

I also suggest once it's full and coming out the top hole... to put the TOP screw back in FIRST while you still have the bottle squeezed in the bottom hole. If air can't get in then oil won't come out the bottom. Top screw in first.. remove the bottle/pump and then install the bottom screw.

Exactly :clapping: if your are making a mess, you're doing it wrong, you don't need any fancy pumps or fill nozzles if you buy it in a tube. I might add you do this with the engine perfectly vertical :D

Edited by dave524

Hmm, ok...noted. Irish is it fine to drain it before I leave...just wanted to do it so I can find the right washer to put into it once I'm home...1h tops.

As for the metal in the oil or milky color...i wont be happy if i see that lol. Got the prop off today with GoneFishin over here and saw a nice 5mm ball of mono under the prop...good thing we did it, nice to get that out...lot's of sand behind the prop too...cleaned it out with toothbrush tho.

You can let it drain all week if you want Mike.

Shell V-power has no ethanol...........yet!

You can run any gas in it you want, just make sure to use a good stabilizer in it, ALWAYS. Seafoam works great for me. I put a few ounces in each tank for maintenance/stabilizer, and run about a half can spring and fall to decarb the engine and clean the fuel system.

Fill from the bottom, put top screw in first, remove oil from bottom hole and put screw back in quick. No mess. Takes about 4 minutes.

Measuring how much comes out is not a good idea if it is low already, Glen. Fill it till its full and call it done.

Mike, 20ml of oil per litre of gas. Don't over mix it, it doesn't need more oil.

S.

Edited by Sinker

So by your number Sinker 360ml of oil goes into my 5 gallon tank. Is it bad to mix oil in my 5gal and 1gal jugs and just keep it up at the tents...could be a week before it get's touched. I'll have the sea foam stuff in them. Or is it best to keep the mixing in the metal gas tank I have down in the boat.

Sorry, silly questions.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Hey not trying to jump the thread but i was wondering where you get ethanol free gas i was told all gas now had at least 10 % in it however the guy in town who sells gas told me that maby he dont not want to see me go lol

Anyone ever uses a product called Phaze 4?

Take Care

There may be others, but both Shell & Ultramar premium grade are ethanol free.

So by your number Sinker 360ml of oil goes into my 5 gallon tank. Is it bad to mix oil in my 5gal and 1gal jugs and just keep it up at the tents...could be a week before it get's touched. I'll have the sea foam stuff in them. Or is it best to keep the mixing in the metal gas tank I have down in the boat.

Sorry, silly questions.

I fill/mix mine right in the tank. If I put in 10 litres, I add 200ml of oil.

If your mixing a full, 25l tank, you will need 500ml of oil. Forget about gallons.

Just remember, 20ml of oil, for every litre of gas, and your good to go.

ALWAYS use stabilizer of some sort, trust me. Ask me how I know that?? :wallbash::wallbash:

S.

Well guys I did it all today. Got the Nautilus oil and did the change. Followed the steps you all gave me and ended up 380ml taken from the bottom.... split a little and lost a little...the oil that came out was clean and had no metal in it. replaced washers and gently tapped screws in with hammer while turning it...turned the motor on it`s sides and up and down once or twice and it doesn`t leak a drop. Well see better when I run it in a little while. Took a picture of the work station. Dad had to sand the prop a little and re paint it haha..same with the hood. he did a great job, looks like a awesome motor.

Thanks for the advice, it really was as easy as it get`s. Get the little pump thing..it helped out.

MTBF

Great stuff Mike... ready to go. Now for next time.. the tapping of the screws is only when they're coming out if they are so tight you can't get them to loosen. Stop tapping as soon as they turn! No need for tapping going back in.. just snug them good by turning the screw driver, otherwise you'll end up stripping those delicate aluminum threads.

Did you do the impeller too?

I am glad it has a good home, I was kinda sad to see it go, but it should give you years of service. As for the mono behind the prop......Someone else used it last.....Apparently he has his ups and downs :tease::whistling:

I think the oil you drained had 7 hours of service on it.

Did you do the impeller too?

I am glad it has a good home, I was kinda sad to see it go, but it should give you years of service. As for the mono behind the prop......Someone else used it last.....Apparently he has his ups and downs :tease::whistling:

I think the oil you drained had 7 hours of service on it.

No didn't do the impeller. Only if it's needed to be done I'll get it done. Something to do this fall after I run it good. Obviously if the water doesn't pour out nicely I'll get it replaced but if she runs good and strong then I'll put it off until end of August...a very pricey replacement so hopefully after a test run the part will be fine for use.