Sad day at our house...Bad Dog..

tb4me

This is going to be one hardest posts I have made EVER. Anyway we were eating dinner tonight when I hear a commotion that I had no choice to get up and run to the yard..As it turns out our siberian husky had gotten into the fenced yard and killed 4 baby rabbits and almost the mother..The Chickens were completely loosing it.This is how I knew somthing bad was happening..So sadly enough we need to find her a new home. She is a 3 yr old sibe papered and chipped. We spared no expense on this dog. She is also fixed. We would like to find her a new home where she can be loved and have no small animals.She is a good dog otherwise..Very smart and loves to fish. I have never given up on a dog my entire life..This will be a first for me. It will be hard to do but she has to go. So if your interested let me know..Hopefully we can find her a good home or she will have to be put down..Thanks for reading this and considering it.

Thanks. We dont want to put her down..The last thing on earth.But she does have to go. This is the second time. The worst part is she broke thru a fenced yard and didnt stop one caught and commanded to stop. The dog is out of control once her eyes go black...Would be great for a fisherman. Loves the boat...

My friend has malamutes and they do the same thing. Possum,rabbits, raccoons,rats and any other small critters are all fare game. Beautiful dogs and very loyal to there families. If anything get rid of the chickens and other small animals and keep the dog.

huskies are well known for this my uncles has killed a few cats in his day.....no way i would get rid of my dog over a rabbit or a chicken. inground fence is relatively cheap 300$ for the kit i have the megazapper with a ninevolt battery in it for my stubborn rottweiler he wont even look at a school bus anymore. use the 24hour rule. wait 24hours before making any major decisions

Certain breeds of dog just don't mix well with the keeping of poultry, rabbits and such. There is the option of better fencing and control, at what costs? There is a choice between animal husbandry and the dog.

Even a zapper won't always work on some dogs when after prey.

wow Ron, tough decision. Sorry to hear that. I am sure you will find a new home for her, one way or another. In the worse case, give her to the humane society before you put her down - a dog like that for sure will be adopted out in no time. To put her down would be a heatbreaker. Good luck !

This is a tough one. It's in these dogs nature BUT it should be controllable.

What concerns me is the blank stare, trance like. This is a super dangerous dog. And is the reason for mussel laws for certain breeds.

I would get the strongest shock collar and but this dog into the situation if it didn't respond in a positive manner.

I would put this dog. Even if it's move to a more suburban setting it will just kill small dogs and cats. This dog can never be trusted.

It hurts but do you want this dogs next bad deed on your consensus?

Hey,

Tough decision, I have had issues my german shepherd (never that extreme) and friends of mine had a similar issue with their rottweiler.

I am sure someone can work with this dog. I think with the right person and the right situation most dogs can become good. Here is a link for a husky rescue website.

http://www.shccrescue.com/ON2.html

This is a tough one. It's in these dogs nature BUT it should be controllable.

What concerns me is the blank stare, trance like. This is a super dangerous dog. And is the reason for mussel laws for certain breeds.

I would get the strongest shock collar and but this dog into the situation if it didn't respond in a positive manner.

I would put this dog. Even if it's move to a more suburban setting it will just kill small dogs and cats. This dog can never be trusted.

It hurts but do you want this dogs next bad deed on your consensus?

Not sure how much experience you have with working class breeds, but your comments are waaaay offside. She's got a high prey drive, its a husky. Doesnt mean she cant be trusted, doesnt mean she cant be trained, DOESNT mean she should be put down!

TB4ME - I feel for you and can imagine the rift this must have caused in your hosue, I'd take her if i had the room; if all else fails take her to the shelter, they'll find a good home for her.

sorry to hear this...

Thanks to everyone for their input and support. After sleeping on it for the night, we have decided to actively look for a new home for her...In the meantime she will just have to be chained up when outside. Its sad and unfortunate, because we were warned before we got her, about prey drive in husky's, but I honestly thought I could train her. The funny thing is we do have a Jack Russell and she doesn't hurt it??I have never given up on a dog, ever. It hurts to think I may have to.

She is a good dog otherwise and very loyal. I cant take her to the pound as I couldn't ever not tell them what she does. I don't think they can rehome an animal that kills. She would no doubt be put down if sent there.. We will keep her for the time being and keep her chained up while outside. Also a good muzzle is a distinct possibility

We keep the chickens and rabbits for food. So we have no intention on being rid of them. The funny thing is the husky thinks we keep them for food for her..Even thou we segregated our yard with another fence to keep dogs out of the garden and greenhouse. We as a family are almost 50% self sufficient in our food in the summer months. between hunting, fishing, gardening and the animals we live a simple life. Until........

You need to read better.

I suggested the most extreme training with a no get off clause.

You have probably never seen a dog go into this trance like state. Put your child between this dog and a chicken your kid is hurt maimed or worse and the chicken is dead.

This dog is dangerous.

Probably too old to be taught the run a dog sled otherwise I am sure you woul dbe able to go on some of the sledding forums and find it a new home.

Good luck man. No matter what anyone says, with a big dog you gotta take care of number 1. I am all for animal rights but sometimes common sense must rule.

Probably too old to be taught the run a dog sled otherwise I am sure you woul dbe able to go on some of the sledding forums and find it a new home.

Good luck man. No matter what anyone says, with a big dog you gotta take care of number 1. I am all for animal rights but sometimes common sense must rule.

Actually she is trained to pull a sled..Great for ice fishing. I dont think she would have a problem on a team. She even knows all the commands, gee, haw and hike.Its the whoa that she is not to fond of. She also pulls me on my mountian bike in the spring and fall..This is why rehoming her will be so tough to do.Where is ceasar mullan when you need him....

Yeah I am sure a Cesar Millan would be able to help but that sounds like a remote possibility.

There are some training centre I know of where you can board the dog for 4-6 weeks and they work with them. The two I can think of are the Monks of New Skete in New York State and Olympus in Orangeville. It is extremely expensive though.

I have done private lessons with Olympus they are excellent but they mostly work with german shepherds and similar type dogs.

Well good luck, I hope you find it a home.

There is a guy that has a kennel south of Port Perry, he has a few dog sled teams, you may want to give hime a ring. I think he mostly runs alaskan huskies though as he is out for pure speed versus traditional siberian husky sledding. Try some of the dog sledding sites. Google Alaskan Husky behavior, I thin kthey moved from a forum to a facebook site and ask on there.

If you have constructive advice or would like the dog please add your comment. If you are going to comment on the situation in a negative manner please don't. He is only trying to do good by his pet.

Art

There is a family on my street that always take in troubled huskies and have a network of people who do the same. They may not be in the market as they just got a husky pup, but they may know someone. If you still have the dog and would like me to knock on their door, I can gladly do so. Stick it out for the time-being: It's not uncommon and it's not immediate grounds for panic, but it's good you're reacting.

Ryan

I would honestly say that this dog by no means should even be considered to be put down, you knew what the breed stands for you admitted so. We should do everything in our power to turn that dog around. Be there for the dog! Cause it would be there for you no matter what. There was no mention of anything you tried other than you segregated your yard. Put that dog into that situation but control the elements, the thing is dogs want to learn and be trained, it is up to us as the owners to do so. If you want I will try and make some calls locally for you (Niagara Area) but I suggest rethinking your actions.

Also I would consider changing the title, Bad Dog certainly does not reflect the situation here.

Edited by Hellfish

I've got a lab , husky mix and he does not like small animals. Funny though, we had a cat in the house when we brought him home from the pound as a pup and he and hobo got along for years. Anyway, he has the same tunnel vision I call it if scents or smells "prey". We found a trainer that deals with behaviour and problems dogs but couldn't find the time. Name is Wolf Man K9. Pm me if you want phone numbers "Training for all breeds, all ages, all sizes". He deals with police dogs etc.

I would honestly say that this dog by no means should even be considered to be put down, you knew what the breed stands for you admitted so. We should do everything in our power to turn that dog around. Be there for the dog! Cause it would be there for you no matter what. There was no mention of anything you tried other than you segregated your yard. Put that dog into that situation but control the elements, the thing is dogs want to learn and be trained, it is up to us as the owners to do so. If you want I will try and make some calls locally for you (Niagara Area) but I suggest rethinking your actions.

Also I would consider changing the title, Bad Dog certainly does not reflect the situation here.

You have made the right decision. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT!

Ok thanks again to all thoughts and considerations. :clapping: This just goes to show that this community can and will help when and where they can. As for training, we have had dogs my entire life. Were no slouches on the training. The dog just has a prey drive that goes beyond anything a human could control. Were actively looking for a new home that does not have small animals. After a call to our local SPCA we were told that no family wants a dog that kills and she would end up euthanized after a certain amount of time.This is NOT an option. So were going to keep the dog work with her and hope to find a home for her that she can thrive in. The fence in question was originally built to keep our now deceased Dalmatians out of the garden. The Dog in question came long after the other dogs passed. Her going thru the fence to kill the rabbits would be no different then her going thru any other fence to get at the neighbours animals. This area was never her territory nor was she EVER allowed in there. She literally chewed her way thru this fence while we were having dinner. Its a good thing the Chickens were loud enough for me to hear something was wrong. The sad part is the neighbours also heard the commotion and ran to watch in horror what was going on. So we have decided to try a chain when she cant be supervised and the use of a muzzle while out on our daily walks. You know “they” say a tired husky is a good husky there is allot of truth to that..We are considering getting an old electric treadmill for short runs when she cant be walked..Would this be considered inhumane? I know sled dog trainers use them for training purposes. we too are considering it under the advise of a US musher. Anyway thanks again to you all for your help and thoughts.

Ok thanks again to all thoughts and considerations. :clapping: This just goes to show that this community can and will help when and where they can. As for training, we have had dogs my entire life. Were no slouches on the training. The dog just has a prey drive that goes beyond anything a human could control. Were actively looking for a new home that does not have small animals. After a call to our local SPCA we were told that no family wants a dog that kills and she would end up euthanized after a certain amount of time.This is NOT an option. So were going to keep the dog work with her and hope to find a home for her that she can thrive in. The fence in question was originally built to keep our now deceased Dalmatians out of the garden. The Dog in question came long after the other dogs passed. Her going thru the fence to kill the rabbits would be no different then her going thru any other fence to get at the neighbours animals. This area was never her territory nor was she EVER allowed in there. She literally chewed her way thru this fence while we were having dinner. Its a good thing the Chickens were loud enough for me to hear something was wrong. The sad part is the neighbours also heard the commotion and ran to watch in horror what was going on. So we have decided to try a chain when she cant be supervised and the use of a muzzle while out on our daily walks. You know “they” say a tired husky is a good husky there is allot of truth to that..We are considering getting an old electric treadmill for short runs when she cant be walked..Would this be considered inhumane? I know sled dog trainers use them for training purposes. we too are considering it under the advise of a US musher. Anyway thanks again to you all for your help and thoughts.

Yes,treadmills are a great tool for dogs. Nothing inhumane about that. Trainers use them all the time.Just takes a little practice at first. Also a good heavy chain for a malamute is a must when outside unsupervised. The only reason I know this is one of friends had a full sized malamute and it was the only thing that would hold her. Good strong chain collar as well.

Check out this link http://www.cesarsway.com/ Ceasar Millan does some incredible stuff with his dogs and with the owners especially.

Good Luck !!