Joining braided line to flourocarbon leaders

splashhopper

uni uni or a swivel.

I have used a tiny barrel swivel on mono leaders... but can get it caught in the tip of my rods when i don;t pay attention.

I am a spazz at tying knots :wallbash: But will google that one irish

Are there any other types of mechanical connectors out there that can be used too?

For jigging walleye I use less then 18 inches of flouro, sometimes mono still, connected with a small swivel.

For just about every other situation I use a line to line knot because I find it is a huge pain in the butt to cast with 12 plus inches of line hanging from the end of my rod.

There are two knots I use depending on whether the braid/leaders are the same or different diameters. I always mix up the names of them but a quick search will give you the knots.

Some of the braids will have a list of knots that are recommend for their product.

geeshhh ... now i am even more confused... I didn;t even think about a difference in diamater in fishing lines :wallbash:

Is the diameter of individual lines listed on their packaging and is there a preferred ratio of line diameter range to stay within when joining these two types of lines?

geeshhh ... now i am even more confused... I didn;t even think about a difference in diamater in fishing lines :wallbash:

Is the diameter of individual lines listed on their packaging and is there a preferred ratio of line diameter range to stay within when joining these two types of lines?

Braided lines typically give dimater OR compare to mono. Example "30lb braid diameter of 12lb mono"

The double nail knot I posted is not affected by differences in line diameter. You can tie silk thrad to an anchor rope if you wish.

Well, I guess I'm lazy, but I've been just tying an improved clinch knot, back to back from braid to leader. Never had an issue at all. Never slipped on me, and never broke off either. Works for me, and its really easy.

I tie all my braid with the same knot too. Never had it slip, ever.

As a matter of fact, that is the only knot I use for everything! The good ole fishermans knot!

S.

I still use the uni to uni even if they are not the same diameters, it just means one or two more loopes with the braid and as quoted below to help.

I dab it with superglue for added security.

I'd make it even simpler than that. The first post you say that this is to be used for bass and pike. Neither of these fish are line shy. No stealth required. However, if it's break-offs you're worried about in the case of pike (teeth), use a ready made fluorocarbon or wire leader. For pike I use 50lb+ fluorocarbon leaders, short ones for casting and long for trolling.

If you're dead set on making your life miserable making knots in the cold, rain, wind and dark which you yourself say you're not very good at, then most of the above posted answers are good.

Good luck.

:clapping: Finally someone mentions the albright. My tip to that is to go 8 wraps one way, and 8 wraps the other way instead of 10 only 1 way.

The uni to uni really feels like you killed something everytime you reel past it, and cast it out.