"One account per member, accounts cannot be deleted

Squid

One way they could sort things like this out is to have an out of public view forum for threads that go beyond what they deem acceptable.... View at your own risk, not safe for work, grown ups only.... etc... lots of places do this now rather than close, or delete topics they just move them away from public eye and let the topic go on. Most here are adults and can handle there own...

There have been lawsuits filed against public boards for violating freedom of speach rights. Its not as big of an issue in canada since we seem to enjoy being told what we can say. :)

A little bit off topic of deleting a user account, but my guess is the whole thing goes around wanting to have a bit of control over what gets posted and by who.

However, trying to keep everyone honest is actually a form of censorship. This board has a long and well known history of censoring posts.

I disagree, posts are not censored, they're edited or deleted because they are outside of the forum rules.

If you post with respect to the rules you'll never have an issue!

The reason we won't delete an account is because as long as the account exists, we are able to maintain alot of information about that account which we use for future moderation. If we delete the account, we lose the information.

There are alot of things that happen behind the scenes here. If you knew how much we deal with, you'd know how good of a job the mods do at keeping most of our serious moderation behind the scenes.

Many of you throw the word "censorship" around as if it's a bad thing. When action is taken against a poster or a thread, it is done with good reason. You may not all agree with it but, frankly, we don't care. Our obligation is to the entire community, not just the few that, ironically, are the consistent whiners.

I think people take issue with the rules when some are enforced and others are not, or should I say, the rules are enforced for some and not others. I don't want to start a fuss, but there were times when my posts were deleted for violating the rules, and other posts that broke the same rule were allowed to remain for whatever reason. This is something I have talked to other mods with, and it has been settled, but you can't deny there are double standards. One particular post about a idiot joke stands out in my memory.

However, as stated by everyone else, if you are not a poo-disturber, you don't need to be anonymous.

I disagree, posts are not censored, they're edited or deleted because they are outside of the forum rules.

LOL.....that's what censorship is or at least I thought it was....so I had to look it up just to make sure... :whistling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship

Editing a post is censorship no mater what the reason is subjective, favoritist etc....

I don't really care so much as its well known and accepted that this is the case here. Just don't pretend it doesn't exist. Its just gonna make people mad. Accept it and move on. I have a long time ago. :)

Editing a post is censorship no mater what the reason is subjective, favoritist etc....

I don't really care so much as its well known and accepted that this is the case here. Just don't pretend it doesn't exist. Its just gonna make people mad. Accept it and move on. I have a long time ago. smile.gif

Again I disagree, if it's edited it's because you have trouble understanding the rules or believe they don't apply to you. dunno.gif

You can say whatever you want, make it intelligent, support it with facts, make it uninsulting and within the terms you agreed to when you signed up and you'll be golden.

Again I disagree.

You can say whatever you want, make it intelligent, uninsulting and within the terms you agreed to when you signed up and you'll be golden.

You may want to look up the definition of censorship. Your comment is exactly what censorship is. If someone says something that you or another moderator deems inaprpriate, inflamatory, dumb insulting and you delete it, or edit it. you are censoring them. That is the definition of censorship. as I have stated i accept it here. As its well known that OFC will censor the posts here. You can't just call it Pike when its a sunfish because you feel like it.

You may want to look up the definition of censorship. Your comment is exactly what censorship is. If someone says something that you or another moderator deems inaprpriate, inflamatory, dumb insulting and you delete it, or edit it. you are censoring them. That is the definition of censorship. as I have stated i accept it here. As its well known that OFC will censor the posts here. You can't just call it Pike when its a sunfish because you feel like it.

I already supplied that link for censorship on the last post of page 2....but then there's the dreaded LOCKED THREAD option...LOL

From Wikipedia...

"Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body"

I already supplied that link for censorship on the last post of page 2....but then there's the dreaded LOCKED THREAD option...LOL

haha yep you got me. :) I knew an american would speak up sooner or later. If I see a locked thread I always go read it as it musta been good.

Man, I really do like SOME of you guys!

I have nothing but admiration for the guys who run this board... imagine trying to herd this group together, with all of the differnet personalities, beliefs, upbringing etc...

The amount of time invested here by the mods is incredible... and the job is usually thankless.

Feel free to look in the mirror and ask yourself... did I read the terms clearly outlined when I signed up here? Don't complain about something you already agreed to, when they actually ask you to adhear to them...

And while you're at it, show me one thing in life that is perfect! This place is surely not, but it's a heck of a lot better then the alternative...

HH

You're on a privately owned forum with a set of rules you agreed to when you registered.

If you're not posting within those rules, well........ dunno.gif

Well what?.... Be censored..

Did I say anywhere I had a problem with it? Just because I said OFC and its moderators censor the posts doesn't mean I have a problem with it. I was defending you guys. After I went back and read over the flurry of posts what I take from it from the mods that replied back to me is...

This is a private board, We do what we want, when and how we want and you must only post what we deem appropriate or we will edit your posts, delete them, lock them and you are to accept it or else you will face being banned from the site....

It sure sounds like censorship to me.

Like I have said several times, you guys can do whatever you want, and I don't really have a problem with it, you guys foot the bill for it, do whatever you want. Shoudl I say it again?

The fact of the matter is the more you argue that what you are doing is not censorship the more it looks like censorship, and the more negative it appears.

Man, I really do like SOME of you guys!

I have nothing but admiration for the guys who run this board... imagine trying to herd this group together, with all of the differnet personalities, beliefs, upbringing etc...

The amount of time invested here by the mods is incredible... and the job is usually thankless.

Feel free to look in the mirror and ask yourself... did I read the terms clearly outlined when I signed up here? Don't complain about something you already agreed to, when they actually ask you to adhear to them...

And while you're at it, show me one thing in life that is perfect! This place is surely not, but it's a heck of a lot better then the alternative...

HH

I am not complaining or have any problems with the way the mods run the board...but I had to point out the meaning of censorship... :)

I am not complaining or have any problems with the way the mods run the board...but I had to point out the meaning of censorship... :)

Because we are not capable of defining it by ourselves? Well, thanks for that BB!

When you own the house, you get to make the rules.... when you only visit the house, you live by their rules... and frankly, I am glad that some things on here get removed or altered, saves me from getting banned for letting the offending party know how stupid they really sound! LMAO

HH

Ps... BillyBob... you ARE one of the one's that I like! :clapping:

Look what happened to the Simcoe board after Sly passed away. That is a terrible shame. This is a well moderated board.

Jedi is correct in saying that it is censorship. He also stated he didn't have a problem with it. All he seems to be suggesting is that you call it what it is. Denying that it's censorship seems a bit odd.

Anyways, the board is in good hands. We appreciate it.

Why is censorship deemed bad? If you read the rules and you post as the rules guide you then your idea will be expressed in the words you posted. I have been here 10 years and never had a mod change any of the words I have put forth.

Everyone keeps saying we are here to get the numbers for advertising well look at the pages do you really see a lot of advertisers? Have you noticed that every event be it a charity or a death that the board OFC meaning all of the members here send money or flowers or something that they need to them. The spirit of this community affects all of us and it most certainly affects the Moderators here. I have over the years given to every cause behind the scenes and I decided I wanted to give something more precious than money to everyone here and that is my time and expertise. I volunteered to help Moderate this board and after a vote it was decided that I could come on board on a trial bases. The trial bases was if I wanted to stay after I saw how much time and effort I expend and the level of gratitude that it lacked. I am not looking for a hearty handshake or an attaboy for the work I have put in to this board but it does get old when you are damned when you do and damned when you don't.

Why do some things fall thru the cracks ? Quite simply we don't catch all of the rules that are broken because of time you see we have to earn a living as well as keep the board from getting into legal issues, internal wars, external wars and a whole list of things that ruffle feathers.

Are we perfect noo not by a long shot we will make mistakes as we go forth and me being the newest moderator I have made my share and then some already and in some cases it has made the job of the other mods harder but they have always picked me up and dusted me off and we continue going forward.

The simple road would be for us to stick to the rules rigidly and carry thru with banning and other methods of eliminating people who make ripples on the board. The problem is it would eliminate people who are just having a short spell of bad karma / insanity or plain bad luck what ever the name you want to use. We give them a break and we get accused of playing favorites. The truth of the matter is we did we gave someone a break because he /she has give us years of good posts and they have a bad spell that they have not made public and don't want to make it public so without the inside information you judge us harshly.

So the next time you want to judge the moderators harshly and think we are taking an action because we have the power realize the most important thing to us is keeping this board in good shape and a place were we all can meet and tell our stories for all to enjoy. The day that that objective can not be reached or the Moderators finally get beaten down from trolls or ingratitude is the day the board will be archived and a great place will be lost.

Art

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm used to being censored. i'm married.

all kidding aside, some of you need to get out fishing. winternets over! stop harassing the mods!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Look what happened to the Simcoe board after Sly passed away. That is a terrible shame. This is a well moderated board.

Jedi is correct in saying that it is censorship. He also stated he didn't have a problem with it. All he seems to be suggesting is that you call it what it is. Denying that it's censorship seems a bit odd.

Anyways, the board is in good hands. We appreciate it.

Agreed.

I've met a bunch of great people all due to this place. I've shared a beer, or twelve, and fished with a few moderators as well. I also understand that OFC is owned by others and they are allowed to administer it how they see fit. I may voice my opinions on how I would like see things done, but that's about it.

The strong connections and sense of ownership (right or wrong) help make this place what it is. Those same ties and feelings also create many headaches for the administrators I am sure.

None of us is being forced to be here.

Thanks grimace... no complaints, accept for maybe being jumped on by the mods on this topic. I am just calling it the way I see it. If I didn't like it I would posted my nearly 1000 comments somewhere else. I didn't see too many people saying that the ammount of censorship here is bad. I do think and have for a while thought there should be an off topic section, but it is what it is. :)

Guest gbfisher

Look what happened to the Simcoe board after Sly passed away. That is a terrible shame.

It surely is a shame. That site died a horrible death only to be taken over by people who pray on other peoples hard work. Namely Slys hard work. Sites like that fail in the end even with moderation. I doubt anyone cares about how or who runs it now.

I know I don't. It's not worth reading or posting at anymore. It died when shane did in my eyes.

oops topic change....lol.... :jerry:

Back to why the world churns..... :D