What the...

Jigger

And ya would be... your employer pays 1.4 x what you do on the workers behalf (for some reason) and the owners can't even claim EI when the place goes out of business. CPP gets matched dollar for dollar (employee and employer) and that fund is almost broke...

But it's still not funded by HST charged on used boat sales.

They didn't give me the option when I registered the boat

same here. Just got my letter as well. When I registered my "new" boat almost 3 years ago I went with bill of sale and cheque in hand to pay the tax at the same time. The lady at the counter told me I could not pay her, I would get an invoice in the mail but it might take a couple of years...she was right, finally got it yesterday! Called the number to tell them I didn't know where I put the bill of sale, could they just assess me "book value" and I would be happy to pay it. Lady on phone told me just to write an explanation letter, indicate price I paid, and send a cheque. So my question is, do I pay just on the boat/motor or do I consider the value of the trailer as well? Although there are lots of sneaky ways to cheat the tax man on this (some mentioned in this thread!), I would like to be honest about it (call me a dying breed)!

same here. Just got my letter as well. When I registered my "new" boat almost 3 years ago I went with bill of sale and cheque in hand to pay the tax at the same time. The lady at the counter told me I could not pay her, I would get an invoice in the mail but it might take a couple of years...she was right, finally got it yesterday! Called the number to tell them I didn't know where I put the bill of sale, could they just assess me "book value" and I would be happy to pay it. Lady on phone told me just to write an explanation letter, indicate price I paid, and send a cheque. So my question is, do I pay just on the boat/motor or do I consider the value of the trailer as well? Although there are lots of sneaky ways to cheat the tax man on this (some mentioned in this thread!), I would like to be honest about it (call me a dying breed)!

You will have paid tax on the trailer when you transferred ownership and received plates at the MTO office.

Is the trailer registered? If it is, then no, don't include the trailer, that tax was already paid when you plated it (although there are a lot of people that just shuffle the same plate from trailer to trailer without the paperwork). You get caught, it's your explanation to the fuzz.

Ah shinola, Jer beat me to it.

Edited by Fisherman

You register your boat with the federal government and they do not collect provincial taxes for the provinces. You should have paid tax on your trailer when you registered and put plates on it. I got the dreaded "prove that you paid the tax" letter from the province three years after I bought my boat brand new from a dealership. The dealership had since gone out of business. I guess that if I could not come up with my bill of sale, I would have been on the hook for the provincial tax on 25 grand. Again. Something is definately not right here. And this has been going on for for at least two decades that I know of.

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure I just transferred my plates from the boat motor and trailer I sold. Sounds like I pay the tax on the boat/motor via the letter, then contact Ministry of transport to make sure the trailer is registered in my name and taxes paid on it. Man I'm glad I didn't have a cheque with me at work! I had already filled out the form with the full value on it including the trailer...OFC saves the day. I'll split the value up, probably call the trailer 1500.00 and the boat is the rest.

Yes I guess that 700 or so of yearly EI deductions pays for the 32 or so weeks of benefits plus the other programs that are made available to the unemployed and underemployed!!! :wallbash:

And I don`t know if I would complain about paying taxes if I was recieving benefits that those tax dollars help pay for!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

And ya would be... your employer pays 1.4 x what you do on the workers behalf (for some reason) and the owners can't even claim EI when the place goes out of business. CPP gets matched dollar for dollar (employee and employer) and that fund is almost broke...

Puulease

EI is totally self funded and excess funds are put into the general tax account.

I remember when the government put the country into a deep recession 20 or so years ago. Unemployment insurance as it was called then was going broke. The government cut the payouts drastically and increased the premiums, and changed the name to employment insurance..beats me as to why. After the country finally got back on its feet the plan was greatly in the black again, so much so that the government decided to rape it of its bankroll. Now, we are in a recession again and the plan is hurting a bit. They are talking raising premiums again and cutting benefits. If they put back the money they stole from it there would be plenty of funding.

Employees and employers pay into it. Many employers like it because it takes away the guilt of laying people off during slow times. When you retire you can collect the maximum just as if you were laid off, likely getting you close to even for all the years of paying in.

Our government is rediculous...they don't even know what people have paid tax on.

I can see on a private sale, but from a dealer...come on

I can see less than honest dealers witholding the tax, many years ago I bought a car and also purchased an extended warranty long story short the dealer pocketed the cost of the warranty.

Now on the the op topic.

15 years ago I got a boat....4 years ago I registered it because I was putting over a 9.9 hp on it. I got my tax notice today...freaking crooks

this post realy has me wondering now.

i must be a little rusty on the rules.

so i have a 12ft with a 6 horse. bought 20yrs ago.

does this need to be registerd?

i do have my boating licence but i will be refreshing my memory.

as far as our goverment goes all departments are a JOKE!!!

its been 8 months since my father passed and trying to get the death benifit that we are all entiteld to to help pay final expences for love ones has been a nitemare!

ok im done ranting now.

If you weren't a saltydawg and rather a freshwaterdawg, then you wouldn't be so rusty on the rules. :sarcasm:

Outboard size, over 9.9HP requires the vessel to be registered, doesn't matter if it's a 6' or 12' boat. So, nno it doesn't need to be registered, but, if stopped, you still need proof of ownership, ie, a bill of sale from a dealer or private person.

I got the same letter in the mail for I boat I had already sold to someone else. I didn't pay and haven't heard or received anything else, yet ! That was last year.

OK, maybe I'll try that.

Its just that they give you 60 days to pay up or they say they will do their own estimate and you pay that plus interest.

These guys are such anal asses that they will hang you out to dry. We have had provincial tax auditors at work and they all write their own rules. You can't have one show up and leave without fineing you for something and its generally for doing what the previous guy told you to do.

You can't call them idiots or they will play god and nail you worse.

So what you are saying if I read this right, in about 4 years I may have to pay taxes on a boat from the 80's, 9.9 and trailer? What do I need to do then selling my other boat? Make a bill of sale saying traded boat for a bottle of Frank's red Hot so the buyer doesn't get hooped?

So what you are saying if I read this right, in about 4 years I may have to pay taxes on a boat from the 80's, 9.9 and trailer? What do I need to do then selling my other boat? Make a bill of sale saying traded boat for a bottle of Frank's red Hot so the buyer doesn't get hooped?

Basically, you're expected to pay tax on every single private sales transaction, somebody already mentioned garage sales, there's a tax base waiting to be pillaged by the tax man if they could only find a way.

The reason your forced to pay tax on used cars, boats, snowmobiles, etc. is because they need to be registered, leaving a paper trail for the bloodhounds to follow.

Just recieved a letter the other day after 3 years. I mailed a receipt I had kept from the MTO (thankfully I never throw out anything Gov't) when I transfered the trailer ownership showing I paid $595, of which $560 was tax, based on the purchase price of $7000 (boat,motor,and trailer). I hope this satisfies their request :wallbash:

Basically, you're expected to pay tax on every single private sales transaction, somebody already mentioned garage sales, there's a tax base waiting to be pillaged by the tax man if they could only find a way.

The reason your forced to pay tax on used cars, boats, snowmobiles, etc. is because they need to be registered, leaving a paper trail for the bloodhounds to follow.

But I have a trailer plate for my current boat and the new to me boat has a 9.9 but I may put the 8 on it anyway. So because the other boat trailer is no longer in use can I not use the plate that I have and there be no need to register? :unsure:

But I have a trailer plate for my current boat and the new to me boat has a 9.9 but I may put the 8 on it anyway. So because the other boat trailer is no longer in use can I not use the plate that I have and there be no need to register? :unsure:

Just take the plate and registration to the licence office along with your bill of sale for the trailer, pay the man for the transfer, $10 and whatever the tax is. If the boat remains powered under 10HP you don't need to register it, however, keep a copy of the bill of sale with you in a dry box. It's your proof of ownership for the boat.

Just like a safe boater course, I'm beginning to believe we need a How to Buy and Sell things course.

Just take the plate and registration to the licence office along with your bill of sale for the trailer, pay the man for the transfer, $10 and whatever the tax is. If the boat remains powered under 10HP you don't need to register it, however, keep a copy of the bill of sale with you in a dry box. It's your proof of ownership for the boat.

Just like a safe boater course, I'm beginning to believe we need a How to Buy and Sell things course.

Thanks

And I have never purchased a boat before so I didn't know, I'm selling my fathers boat for him. :mellow:

Edited by GBW

KEEP YOUR RECEIPT

Yes I was yelling that as every time I have bought any boat I have had them (insert not nice word for government person here) send em a letter asking for my proof or else payagain I have been lucky to have had my receipts each time and make sure to keep my copy.

I need to get one of you guys that don't have such an important bill around after only 4 years to come over and clean up my "clutter". You can start with the filing cabinet in the basement that still has my phone, natural gas, etc bills from my house in Milton (~1984).. and then work you way forward from there. :o:D

I need to get one of you guys that don't have such an important bill around after only 4 years to come over and clean up my "clutter". You can start with the filing cabinet in the basement that still has my phone, natural gas, etc bills from my house in Milton (~1984).. and then work you way forward from there. :o:D

You think that's bad, I've got the original pamphlet, blower manual and engine manual from my Dads old '68 Ariens snowblower.