My little pooch spent the weekend in the hospital

motion

As you can tell from my avatar and from some of my previous posts, I have a 7-1/2 month old chocolate lab named Toby. Last week he started vomiting daily. It got to the point that I ended up at an emergency clinic.

Any of you who have been through this, you will understand that initially cost is not an issue. When they told me that he may need surgery, I had knots in my stomach. Knowing labs, they are notorious for eating anything and everything.

Well, after a very expensive barium test (including x-rays, they found no blockage). i was relieved to hear this. I really didn't want my little having to go through major surgery. He ended up having to be put on an IV and they also found an ear infection. Other than that, he was OK. We think it may be something he is eating when he's out in the yard playing.

Well, almost $2000.00 later, he seems to be on the road to recovery. I now know why I should have taken out pet insurance! :wallbash: Any of you had the same experience at an emergency clinic?

Cheers.

Edited by motion

I have experienced this exact thing and my heart goes out to you. My dog had extreme allergies and had 4 or 5 episodes over a 3 year span of vomiting, shivering, diarrhea (with blood in her vomit & poop). She had a lot of issues and our vet bills were through the roof. She would do 2-3 overnights at the vets with $1500-$2000 bills each time (this is on top of her hypoallergy food & pills she was on to control itchyness). Eventually though her allergies had just overtaken her where she'd naw herself till she bled and was a living a very unhappy life. Thus we put her down last fall.

Of course every dog is different and it could very well be that your dog happened to eat something out of the garbage and just didn't settle well in their stomach. It happens, unless this becomes a regular occurrence you shouldn't worry too much about it just keep a close eye on her. When they are young they don't know better and get in to everything often without you knowing.

If the vet bills though become such a worry for you, you should really consider pet insurance. I'm not sure if you can still qualify for that but its worth a shot - I wish I took it when I had the option.

Edited by Governator

My beagle got into a garbage in the garage and ate an old spawn sac that hat a tiny hook still in it... I found him vomiting non stop and eventually found the line coming out of his throat and figured out what it was... He ended up getting x-rays, they found te hook in his throat, put him under and cloves through his throat to get it out. He recovered fine, my wife wasn't to happy about the bill but it all worked out. He ended up running off when I was gone on a business trip and after a ton of effort we never found him. Still miss my boy!

My beagle got into a garbage in the garage and ate an old spawn sac that hat a tiny hook still in it... I found him vomiting non stop and eventually found the line coming out of his throat and figured out what it was... He ended up getting x-rays, they found te hook in his throat, put him under and cloves through his throat to get it out. He recovered fine, my wife wasn't to happy about the bill but it all worked out. He ended up running off when I was gone on a business trip and after a ton of effort we never found him. Still miss my boy!

Ya, I know what you mean. My wife was going on about the cost and what she could have bought with the money we spent :blahblah1: He's my everthing right now. With me all day, everyday. Spends the days right beside me in my office. They just dont understand. :dunno:

He's doing better today as he threw up agin yesterday. Just hope he holds down his food for now.

Edited by motion

Great dogs beagles

Except they wil eat anything snd love to run when they get loose

I have two and they can be a handful at times

But they always wanna cuddle even when they have been bad

Great deer hunting dogs

I know a several people that have had to dish out big money to save the life of their family member and pet. It's costly, but I wouldn't think twice if I found myself in their shoes.

On a bit of a different note, I hate how some vets hugely inflate the cost of their treatments based on demand. Every year, we wait off buying heartworm pills and other annual treatments in Toronto because it is half the price in Sundridge (and many other rural vets). Even considering the gas both ways (we just wait until we open the cottage), you are still saving 150+. It bugs me how a vet can look you in the eye, say "your beloved animal needs this" and charge an insane markup. I understand every clinic has their own expenses to stay a float, but when does greed become a factor. </rant>

Ya, I know what you mean. My wife was going on about the cost and what she could have bought with the money we spent :blahblah1: He's my everthing right now. With me all day, everyday. Spends the days right beside me in my office. They just dont understand. :dunno:

He's doing better today as he threw up agin yesterday. Just hope he holds down his food for now.

If he's still having problems keeping the food down, you can try a more bland option. Just plain white rice & cooked chicken. Of course do what the vets told you but I'm just saying what we use to do. White rice is as plain as it gets and simple to digest.

If he's still having problems keeping the food down, you can try a more bland option. Just plain white rice & cooked chicken. Of course do what the vets told you but I'm just saying what we use to do. White rice is as plain as it gets and simple to digest.

Ya, I tried that first last week. He tossed that up too. Porr little guy. I felt so helpless at the time. He's on a special gastro intestinal low fat food for now. He seems to like it and is holding it down for now.

And that is the reason most retired people do not have pets...

I forget the $ amount that the vet charged us to find out that our former dog "Riley" needed to be put down then turned around and charged another $150 to do the deed !!!

Heaven help Chiquita if she gets sick...maybe borrow my neighbor's gun...wallbash.gif

Must be too many rich people in Bobcaygeon...The vets (2) here wanted $150 each to neuter our 2 cats...

Maureen's vet in Penetang did them both for $150 and we got to visit with her after we dropped them off...

Chiquita15apr2011.jpg

Edited by Beans

I had a similar problem a few years ago and got hosed by a Vet in Newmarket who wanted to operate on my dog. I called the breeder and told her what was happening. She got me into the Vet where her dogs and pups all go, Allandale in Barrie. They did a quick Xray could see no blockage an did a barium swallow. The result was that my dod had Ferinjitis (a soar thoat). I was given a liquid medicine for her and walked out with a bill under $300.

Since then we take our dog there for yearly checkups which cost no more than $200 with heart-worm pills and any vaccinations. I highly recommend these folks!

I had a similar problem a few years ago and got hosed by a Vet in Newmarket who wanted to operate on my dog. I called the breeder and told her what was happening. She got me into the Vet where her dogs and pups all go, Allandale in Barrie. They did a quick Xray could see no blockage an did a barium swallow. The result was that my dod had Ferinjitis (a soar thoat). I was given a liquid medicine for her and walked out with a bill under $300.

Since then we take our dog there for yearly checkups which cost no more than $200 with heart-worm pills and any vaccinations. I highly recommend these folks!

The barium test alone cost me $800.00 and my daughter had to put up 75% on her Visa before they would even take him. They were talking $4000.00 if he needed surgery. I think they prey on our emotions.

My heart goes out to you.We would sell our souls to save our best friends.A few years ago, i had a Lab Retriever.Smartest dog i ever owned. At 3 years old, out of the blue, she started having seizures.

She was diagnosed with canine epilepsy.The vet immediately put her on Phenobartitol.Every 13 days, at 1.30Am, she would have a grand mall seizure, lose her vision and control of her bodily functions.

I would hold her in my arms, and talk gently to her until she came to.We spent thousands trying to find a cure.The vets had never seen a case like it, where i could predict the day and hour she would sieze.

Finally, we had to put her down, not because of the money, but to relieve her suffering and to regain some peace of mind in my familly.Its a terrifying thing to watch a big dog in the holds of a grand mall seizure.The Vets do what they can though, with no funding for research.

Her name was Misty

Edited by mercman

Not all vets are that way IMO.

2 years ago while visiting Alaska my pup got really sick (probably from eating rotton salmon carcases :rolleyes: )

I had to drive 30 miles to the neares vets office to have him looked at. The vet there was the absolute best vet that I have ever been to. He does vet duty to most of the local dog teams.

He examined my dog, did blood tests and xrays all after hours. He also provided special food and meds and gave him some shots all for a pretty reasonable price (about $500). Pup was back to his old self the following day. :thumbsup_anim:

It cost more for me to go into the emergency room for diagnosis and meds for a bad flu bug there last fall (luckily 80% was covered by insurance :whistling: )

Not all vets are that way IMO.

I agree. My regular vet is really good and reasonable. I have taken my dog in for a check-up and come out with less than a 50.00 bill. The emergency clinic won't even look at your dog for less than a couple of hundred dollars. :devil:

The beloved family pet is another member of the family but without medical insurance! Pet insurance only goes so far and in most cases they try to deny based on previous medical history. It is rare that you will get through a dog or cats life without some major expense. When the kids were growing up and we really couldn't afford a dog we had a $100 a month doggy fund that we started from her being a pup. It paid all medical expenses including spaying (or neutering)annual check ups and shots and unforseen biggies like surgery, 3 days in the vets x-rays etc.. Just sayin'....

Emergency Vet clinics are a money pit. Partly because there is a high overhead in keeping 3 staffers on hand 24/7.

Years back we took our Lucky into a clinic after hours. She had gotten into the tin foil chocolates on the tree and was sick. We were charged $450 per 6 hour shift she was there. We took her out the very next morning due to the excessive cost and were threatened with being reported to the humane society for "failing to provide adequate care".

Our Vet, a traditional rural horse doctor, was appalled at the fees levied and the blackmail tactics. He set things straight with the clinic in short order and we heard nothing more.

You got ripped off, did the Barium test with 4 x-rays, a charge to board him for the day, and a check up fee for $370 taxes in!

Ya, I know I was ripped off, but what do you do when you have a sick little guy in your arms? They prey on your emotions.

Ya, I know I was ripped off, but what do you do when you have a sick little guy in your arms? They prey on your emotions.

They sure do, I had to go into the emergency vet in the middle of the night when Jack's stomach flipped (bloat) his first questions was "Do you have children?" It bothered me for a long time until I figured out that what he was really saying was, now that I know you are not going to put him down I am going to bend you over REALLY far, that was a $2,500 visit.

A few years ago we had a cat that had to be put down, she was very old and very sick. One of the Vets here in Lindsay wanted me to pay them $48.00 to do a physical on the cat before they would put her down and then the cost of putting her down and If I wouldn't let them do and charge me for the physical, they wouldn't put her down. That was the last time I ever went to that vet. We found another one that took one look at the cat and agreed that it was time. Been going to that one ever since. You have to believe that when a vet crys as much as you do when she has to give your dog that final needle she has the pets best intrest in her heart.

Here is something that I think sums it all up very nicly:

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"

or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,

or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"

but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by

"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch

of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand

phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,

trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience

that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look

longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"

but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,

the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts

away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"

but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being

"just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"

just smile,

because they "just don't understand."

~Unknown Author~