The New Fish on-Line tool!

Ron

The OMNR have created a new search tool for the general public to use. Some people have heard about it and now it is available on line.

Looking for a certain lake to fish but don't know what species is in it? Look it up now with the below link.

Going on a trip to fish species specific lakes? You can now search for a particular species to target.

The part that ticks me off the most on this - I have been transferring data on Muskie Lakes onto my GPS from the paper Muskie Atlas. I was about half way through this project of mine only to find out it is now available on-line! Don't know if I want to say thanks or grumble because of all the time and effort I put into my own GPS list is now wasted time! :whistling:

In the long run, I am glad the OMNR have created this list!

THANKS OMNR!

New Fish on-line tool

Neat site. I did a quick check on a bunch of remote areas I fish all over the province and found most of the info to be inaccurate.

My advice to people who use this tool: It seems accurate for the more popular and accessable lakes. For remote backlakes it seems to be a total crapshoot. Sometimes correct but mostly wrong.

What solo said... appears they gave a student a stack of 30 year old area fishing maps and got them to start entering data. Otherwise there is no way Secret Lake would be in the data base. It's a start and hopefully they take the time to refine it.

Edited by irishfield

just a thought.

before i start iwould like to say that any body that knows fishing would find this information useles.

ie. Ron the time spent compiling your information amounts to expirence that is yours. to say that somone with no expirence can go to the same spot and have the same rusuts is absurd.

just a thought...

for every other licence that we aplly for ther is a basic level of knowledge required.

except for fishing!!!

i think that a basic knowledge is required. for a fishing licience.!!!

ie.

spieces identification/legal bait/catch and posetion limmits/genaral areas where spieces can be found/seasons/catch and realees methods/ect...

the system as it stands now gives anyone a licence and then hopes that they read the regs.

fishing is not a right its a privaledge just like driving/hunting/or any licience that many of us need to make a decent living...

saltydawg.

just a thought.

before i start iwould like to say that any body that knows fishing would find this information useles.

ie. Ron the time spent compiling your information amounts to expirence that is yours. to say that somone with no expirence can go to the same spot and have the same rusuts is absurd.

just a thought...

for every other licence that we aplly for ther is a basic level of knowledge required.

except for fishing!!!

i think that a basic knowledge is required. for a fishing licience.!!!

ie.

spieces identification/legal bait/catch and posetion limmits/genaral areas where spieces can be found/seasons/catch and realees methods/ect...

the system as it stands now gives anyone a licence and then hopes that they read the regs.

fishing is not a right its a privaledge just like driving/hunting/or any licience that many of us need to make a decent living...

saltydawg.

I'm having a blue, what about you?

lol, I get your point though.

Don't know why I even bothered......

I guess most people can't see the real picture here.

For me, this will be a very useful tool. For an example, lets say I get blown off a lake that I had planned my fishing trip on. I can now do a search in the near by lakes to see what species there are available and in what lakes. At least it gives me a starting point. Another point could be if there is information on a certain lake, at least I know I should be able to get access to it wheather it be a logging road or a trail off a logging road.

Sure there will be some inaccuracies, suck it up! I guess you can look at it 2 ways, either send the MNR the name of the lakes with inaccuracies or just keep it to yourself and perhaps other people won't discover "your" lake.

I am still very grateful they compiled this list of lakes with the species of fish that inhabit them. I know it will make my homework much easier for my next exploration trip.

Cheers, Ron...

or you can see it as an invitation to let inexpireced people have infomation that contradicts the general roll of the mnr to control and preserve a natural resource.

ie.

a recent post complained about poaching on simcoe as well as other places.

these are the type of people that we dont want out there so why the hell would you want to expand thier oppertunity when the mnr resorces are at their limmits???

hello any body in there

Edited by saltydawg

Don't know why I even bothered......

I guess most people can't see the real picture here.

For me, this will be a very useful tool. For an example, lets say I get blown off a lake that I had planned my fishing trip on. I can now do a search in the near by lakes to see what species there are available and in what lakes. At least it gives me a starting point. Another point could be if there is information on a certain lake, at least I know I should be able to get access to it wheather it be a logging road or a trail off a logging road.

Sure there will be some inaccuracies, suck it up! I guess you can look at it 2 ways, either send the MNR the name of the lakes with inaccuracies or just keep it to yourself and perhaps other people won't discover "your" lake.

I am still very grateful they compiled this list of lakes with the species of fish that inhabit them. I know it will make my homework much easier for my next exploration trip.

Cheers, Ron...

But Ron, what good is the info if it's wrong? Also regarding access, I can tell you that many of the lakes I looked at have no easy access. Just because there's innacurate info compiled on the lake doesn't equate into access.

Whichever way you look at it, I still see it as the OMNR working to get things started at least. Take a look around at the other Provinces' Ministries and see how their websites are doing. I've bookmarked the new site and will be using it.

or you can see it as an invitation to let inexpireced people have infomation that contradicts the general roll of the mnr to control and preserve a natural resource.

ie.

a recent post complained about poaching on simcoe as well as other places.

these are the type of people that we dont want out there so why the hell would you want to expand thier oppertunity when the mnr resorces are at their limmits???

hello any body in there

Your kidding right?

The post that your talking about was posted by me. It was a press release listing of effective enforcement being done by MNR staff. Your logic of restricting access to information for the 99% of anglers that follow the rules and to restrict information to the 1% of poachers is flawed.

wallbash.gif

I personally think this is a great website that is still in development. There are enough people on this website that understand computer programing to realize that these things are always a work in progress and not something your stick together overnight. An effort to move away from the 30 year old paper info to a tool that is useful and progressive is a wonderful idea. If you want it to be more accurate send information to the MNR staff working on this project. It beats trying to find the phone number of some bait shop 50 miles from where you want to go to get information that might be useful.

Excellent work to those involved in this project and hopefully as this program expands it becomes a tool that is useful to a large group of Ontario anglers. One role of the MNR is to offer angling opportunities where available and this is a great example. clapping.gif

This will also generate tourism as more anglers find information on lakes and rivers in regions they previously had no information available.

Of course there are still those who do not use computers but they will not read this thread so it does not matter.

Thanks for the post Ron, I have been waiting for this.

Edited by Michael Brown

Thanks Ron... I have saved the site as well and am looking forward to seeing it further developed... as seems to be standard operating procedure here, there will alswyws be haters... simply ignoring them will help with your blood pressure!

Again, thanks for the link!

HH

I tried it for my lake (St. John) and there was no result until I did an area search for Longford Mills. It was tagged as an unknown lake and said to contain Muskie, which I've been told it does not.

However, as has been said, it's a first effort which has room for improvement. They have the basice infrastructure for the site and now need to make it better, which I am sure will happen over time. This is a pressured ministry, with a huge mandate, so I'm actually surprised they were able to find the resources at all for this effort.

Wonder what it might be like a year from now!

Michael

Thanks Ron... I have saved the site as well and am looking forward to seeing it further developed... as seems to be standard operating procedure here, there will alswyws be haters... simply ignoring them will help with your blood pressure!

Again, thanks for the link!

HH

I like a few others appreciate the link Ron! :thumbsup_anim:

What's with you guys? Seriously.

No one is hating on Ron.

The bottom line, it's a neat idea and the website is well laid out and easy to use.

But at this point it's mostly useless. Exactly how does this have anything to do with Ron unless he helped create the site?

It's perhaps a good starting point to build on. Time will tell if it evolves into something worthwhile.

Thanks for the post/link Ron.

I agree with the following:

1. It is a fair effort & step in the right direction for the ministry.

2. Unfortunately, there is a fair bit of inaccurate data.

3. Given some time & improvements, it may be a useful tool.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Seguin area lakes that I have fished thoroughly and found what many others have stated. IMHO, it would be a good idea if there was a link where anglers could reports inaccurate/questionable data (yep, I know this opens up another debate) . It would give the ministry an opportunity to validate data and revise accordingly.

my 2 cents (cndn).

Slayer

I don`t think my post indicated that I thought anybody was hating Ron! :dunno:

My post was for another members crazy post that had me shaking my head! :wallbash:

The park opens in a couple of weeks I`ll unwrap the Stratos spool up the 3 new bait casters I bought and then in the words of the immortal Bob Marley "everything will be alright" :Gonefishing:

I believe that I to, was simply thanking Ron for the link... but also commenting on the what seems to happen whenever anyone posts anything on here... and that was also intended to be a general statement that once again, got misconstrued.

I guess that eventually I will be thanking folks for note posting things, in the future! :wallbash:

HH

Great find Ron, I've actually been wondering why there was no site like this before and Googling "Is there (insert fish type) in (insert lake name) was mostly useless.

Appreciate you posting it and will be saving it to my favorites.

Joey

Edited by Joey

I think it's a good idea myself, but to compile the correct data to make the site credible would be a very hard task.

Think about it, there are hundreds of thousands of lakes in ontario, and an already depleted MNR.

If this project had a timeline, say like 10 years or so, and work in concert with anglers, I think it could eventually become a great resource. But it would take alot of work, and alot of volunteers.