SMELTS!!

marrex_mike

last night was a full moon and the temp is going up with the rain that we had so I think they will come soon I us dont know about simcoe because it wasn't to good to me last year only got 3/4 of a pail so if anyone can help out with a good spot other than simcoe please PM me>> thanxx

My smelt spot is just as sacred as my best brookie lake. There is no chance I'm gonna spill the beans. Put your time in searching, and waiting for them, getting wet, windblown, and cold.......then come on here and tell me your spot.

Thats what I thought LOL

S.

thanks for all the tips guys... also i'd like to know where is harmony creek Ive never heard of it?? I usually go to jacksons point but it's been crappy there for the last few years, and same goes for the oro side of the lake... thats why I want to try somewhere other than simcoe.

I googled Harmony Creek and this is what I came up with, that its in oshawa?

Sorry guys. I figured my location would explain it. Harmony creek runs into lake Superior about 30 miles north of the Sault. There are plenty of places for smelts around here. We have lake Huron, St Joeseph island has a few creeks they run in earlier and lots up on Superior. You can follow them as they run. Huron first then Superior a week later

Just got in from a excellent night of smelting with Mr. Mike.

We hit up one of our favourite honey holes on Simcoe. We didnt get out there until after midnight...The first couple hours was very slow, we only managed to get about 15-20 smelts.

After 3am, the smelt run was ON!! It was amazing, we ran out of buckets, we had to use a milk crate with a net inside. We never expected this at all. Some big boys in there too

Get them while they're hot

IMG00062-20110421-0230.jpg

IMG00063-20110421-0241.jpg

IMG00066-20110421-0242.jpg

IMG00067-20110421-0242.jpg

IMG00069-20110421-0243.jpg

Just got in from a excellent night of smelting with Mr. Mike.

We hit up one of our favourite honey holes on Simcoe. We didnt get out there until after midnight...The first couple hours was very slow, we only managed to get about 15-20 smelts.

After 3am, the smelt run was ON!! It was amazing, we ran out of buckets, we had to use a milk crate with a net inside. We never expected this at all. Some big boys in there too

Get them while they're hot

IMG00063-20110421-0241.jpg

So, I have to ask, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THAT MANY SMELTS? That is just plain nuts! By the time you get finished cleaning them they would be mush, you could never eat that many smelts, why would anyone take more than they can use? No wonder our fisheries end up in trouble!

So, I have to ask, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THAT MANY SMELTS? That is just plain nuts! By the time you get finished cleaning them they would be mush, you could never eat that many smelts, why would anyone take more than they can use? No wonder our fisheries end up in trouble!

He could be sharing with family members and there may have been 10 of them out there. Smelt have no limits and are orginally an invasive species. Smelt caused havoc on the Eerie fishery in the early 1900's and contributed to the loss of the Blue Walleye.With all the smelt, whities, gobies and other baitfish in Simcoe...I think the fishery will survive.

Nice haul Boss, that one is a hog! hahaha good luck cleaning them all.

He could be sharing with family members and there may have been 10 of them out there. Smelt have no limits and are orginally an invasive species. Smelt caused havoc on the Eerie fishery in the early 1900's and contributed to the loss of the Blue Walleye.With all the smelt, whities, gobies and other baitfish in Simcoe...I think the fishery will survive.

Nice haul Boss, that one is a hog! hahaha good luck cleaning them all.

Thanks Rod Caster, and yes youre right. There were a few of us out there, we will be sharing these and eating them as well as using for bait.

Congrats Boss, looks like you guys had a fantastic night out there.

Brings back great memories from years ago when myself, dad, brother and friends used to head to Lake Ontario and come home with a couple pails of smelt. We'd all head back to Dad's place for a huge late night/early morning feed of those tasty little treats !!

Thanks for the fond memories :thumbsup_anim:

Big Cliff. Not sure when you last cleaned smelts but they're not that hard. If you just cut off the heads and slit the belly to scoop ot each one takes less then 10 seconds.

Cormorants don't care how many they eat?

Nice haul guys. Never considered staying out till 3am. Hmmmm?

Mr. Mike...are you gonna post the location of your "honey hole" for all to see?

Edited by Nipfisher

mmmmmm!! gotta love smelt on good friday!! Today is the best day of the year, a day that all we eat is fish! I love it and the smelts add a nice touch. Also in response to the post about my honey hole it's on the south side of simcoe in a town called Sutton right at jacksons point! Ive been going there for years but this was the motherload!! There are a few spots to fish from just drive along the lake and you should find something. Smelts are really hit or miss so if you head out GOOD LUCK!! the run was early in the morning for us so put the work in and you should do fine. Also about the amount we took from the lake i'd like to say that that wasn't even a dent in the smelt population or the run... and not only do we share our catch with our families and friends but what we do keep must last us all year long so if we had another bucket with us I would have filled that to!

Dara I just ate some the other day from that creek, I swear there is not much better then some smelt...Bill Are you mad Pike bait, some corn flour in hot oil, thier value is far greater as good eats

Milo, I can't eat them, so bait it is!!! lol! Although I'm sure if I got a few, the oldman would fry some up.

I was thinking of trying smelt fishing for the first time this weekend. I was thinking of going to Jackson's Point with some family and friends. Do you think this weekend, April 29 or 30 would still have a run of smelt???? Thanks for any information/advice.