<b>House Approves State Funeral For Last WWI Vet Nf</b>

bpsbassman

Nice to know that a few OFNers helped make a differrence.

The petition was posted on the old board and it looks like the government listened for a change!

The House of Commons has voted unanimously in favour of having a state funeral when the last Canadian veteran of the First World War dies.

The motion, introduced by the NDP, asked the government to honour all who served in the First World War by sponsoring a state funeral.

Of the 619,636 Canadians who served between 1914 and 1918, only three are still alive: Percy Wilson, 105, and Lloyd Clemett and John Babcock, both 106.

A state funeral is one of the highest honours a country can bestow on a person, but they're traditionally reserved for prime ministers and governors general.

The motion was prompted by an online petition launched by the Dominion Institute, a national organization that promotes Canadian history.

"We want to thank the tens of thousands of Canadians who signed our petition in support of state funeral," Rudyard Griffiths, the director of the Dominion Institute, said in a statement.

"By passing a motion to offer a full state funeral today the Parliament of Canada will allow a grateful nation to pay proper tribute to our last Great War veteran on his passing and honour the over 600,000 Canadians he served with under arms from 1914-1918."

The Institute said that since Nov. 6, around 100,000 Canadians had signed the petition.

For once all our elected officals agreed on something, at least they all showed some common sense. One point aboput one of the three remaining soldiers is

"Jack Babcock, one of the three surviving Canadian veterans, has lived in the United States since 1924 and would not be entitled to a state funeral in Canada, something Mr. Babcock says he understands."

If he is the last to pass then I would hope the Government would some sort of government sanctiond service honoring all who served.

I would think that a State funeral for the last survivor would include a tribute to all those who gave their lives for King and Country (I'm talking about back then, not now). It's a great idea, especially for the young kids out there now who have never spoken to a WWI vet to hear some stories about life in the trenches.

It's good that we were able to contibute in our small way to help make this a reality.

My Grandfather served with the British Army in WW1 and fought from the trenches in Europe for 4 years, and fortunately survived and lived till the ripe old age of 85, even though he was hit by shrapnel and carried pieces of it in his body his entire life.

Another time him & his crew were trapped in a dead-end ravine while several dozen Germans moved in on them, but he was able to climb out, circle behind them and kill them all, allowing his men to get out safely.

For that he was awarded the Military Medal for Bravery

When I was very small he wouldn't tell me much about the war, but as we both grew older he started to open up and told me some things they went thru over there that were absolutely unbelievable. It's hard to understand what some human beings can do to others

I spose it's easy for us to say we understand, but for those of us that haven't experienced it, there is NO way in the world we'll EVER understand what those guys went thru, and awarding them all with a State Funeral is the very least we can do for them.

Edited by lew

Several years ago my daughter and I were travelling through Western Europe and stopped at the Canadian memorial at Vimmy Ridge. It sure made you think about H*ll on earth and what those men had to go through. Seeing the trenches, artillery craters. They won't let people walk on the battlefield because there may still be live ammunition scattered about ... after almost 90 years. I can't imagine what living through that would have been like. I still think of my visit there from time to time. Just travelling the roads through France, seems like there is some type of miliatry cemetary every several miles. It was a very somber moment for me visiting that site and the bravery of those Canadian Soldiers. My hat's to all of them. I wonder how many are yet still alive here in the states ?

As mentioned already, it's the least we can do.

I have the utmost respect for these war vets.

If anyone gets the chance, sit down and have a chat with one of them.

Amazing stories. Not just about war, but life in general.