Obesity Forces US Coast Guard To Change Boat Capacity Ratings

The US Coast Guard announced it is adjusting boat occupancy regulations to reflect the fact that the average American has grown bigger and heavier than when the rules were first established nearly 50 years ago. The new standards, which will affect passenger capacity ratings for all boats, take effect December 1.

Expect the Canadian Coast Guard to follow suit.

Click for more info.

Excellent info. I have often wondered how they got 589LB 4 person capacity for my Boat.

If I took 3 of my friends fishing with me, I would most definately be over the limit.

Avereage height of 5'8" BMI of 150pds, times 4 people is 600 pds....now the typical american at 5'8" is likely 225 pds. :) Add a few Ultra Super Biggie Wendy's burgers and now your boat only holds 2 people.

Why not just have a weight rating, rather than a person rating. 2 adults and 3 kids in a 14 footer may be fine but 3 big fat dudes may sink it. :)

Avereage height of 5'8" BMI of 150pds, times 4 people is 600 pds....now the typical american at 5'8" is likely 225 pds. smile.gif Add a few Ultra Super Biggie Wendy's burgers and now your boat only holds 2 people.

Why not just have a weight rating, rather than a person rating. 2 adults and 3 kids in a 14 footer may be fine but 3 big fat dudes may sink it. smile.gif

clapping.gif

The wife and i just joined weight watchers.Gotta lose another 100 lbs between the 2 of us, before the end on the month or i will have to get an 18' instead of a 16blush.gif

clapping.gif

The wife and i just joined weight watchers.Gotta lose another 100 lbs between the 2 of us, before the end on the month or i will have to get an 18' instead of a 16blush.gif

The fastest way to lose 120 pounds is divorce.....your goal is more than met! Heck of a lot more expensive though. :jerry::jerry:

Quit smoking, losing weight, are you guys planning on sticking around to torment us??? Good luck with the diet!