Rain Suit Recommendations?

steelie hunter

Looking to buy a new rainsuit, any recommendations any of you guys or girls have? Breathable would be the best bet I would think, looking to spend in the $100-$150 range, but not sure where would be the best place to buy one? Bass Pro? I'm sure many of you have good or bad experiences with certain types or brands of rain suits. Thanks

dont forget about le barron. i have been checking them out lately.

there not as big as BPS but looks like some good stuff!?

i have found BPS is more like walking into walmart./ alot of stuff but nothing i feel good about spending my money on (disposable)

not to say that idont still buy gear from bps . i have just become more selective about where i spend my money.

150 for a good rain siut deserves some resurch?

my siut cost me 115 23yrs ago still had it up until last year(lost it)

it was actuly made for motorcycles!

served me well year round!

food for thought...

Lebaron has several lines of

Wetskins

Rainsuits... I got one for about $120 and am pleased with it... Nice bib pants ... Very high collar on the jacket... Very protective hood... And an extra zipper inside for an extra liner...( If you can find one that fits... I couldn't...)

I have a 600$ Dewgooders ..9 piece Himalaya Edition that was on Discovery's Eco-Challenge.. actually seen Everest and the Congo ..Brazilian rain forest etc..

Crazy .. I could go underwater and not get wet...

---------------

Yard sale 20$.. with papers and carrying bag. Oh! What a deal!

Randy

:canadian:

I have a 600$ Dewgooders ..9 piece Himalaya Edition that was on Discovery's Eco-Challenge.. actually seen Everest and the Congo ..Brazilian rain forest etc..

Crazy .. I could go underwater and not get wet...

---------------

Yard sale 20$.. with papers and carrying bag. Oh! What a deal!

Randy

:canadian:

Guys like you just irk me. Great snag! :thumbsup_anim:

Steelie, you may want to look at Mountain Equipment Co-Op as well. They have some very good gear.

Some rain suits absorb water, some just repel. i have a BPS gortek one and it keeps you dry but your suit stays soaked. I have a wetskins and it repels the water on the outside and also stays dry. I prefer the wetskins one over the GPS gortek one.

Ok so here is the deal, the Wet Skins yellow 2 piece rainsuit from Canadian Tire is awesome. I had it bought for 3 summers ago and it has held up great, even after being washed and hung up to dry a dozen or more times it still is in perfect condition. I brought it out onto the ice this winter and dressed with a sweater and some shirts under it and again it was warm. I took 1 cut to the knee area on my last trip out...why because i was sliding on the ice...not very smart but for $150 I got one hell of a good suit..

Pic from winter 2011

ScreenHunter_37Mar131606.jpg

Pic from Summer 2010

ScreenHunter_38Mar131606.jpg

Pic from Summer 2009

ScreenHunter_39Mar131607.jpg

And I know I got a pic somewhere from the fall of 2008. All I know is if this suit comes in a green color I'll get it in another 2 or 3 years...Assuming my suit fails me.

Good luck with your find,

MTBF

I have a Bare 2pc rain suit. Probably 10 years old now. Paid around $500, at the time.

Washed it with a goretex cleaner and conditioner a couple of years ago. Water beads on it. And it does breathe to let out some perspiration.Haven't used it since.

My issue with most of the Goretex suits is that they are very heavy, and if you plan on using it in the summer, I doubt they vent off the perspiration quickly enough. It doesn't for me, anyway.

I also bought a G3 Simms Goretex wading jacket. Very nice, far lighter than the Bare, but the jacket was as much as the full two piece Bare suit.Bought it last August, and used it extensively. Water beads on it, and I'm very happy with it.

I think the bottom line is you have to try these suits on, and decide after you do that, whether they will fit your needs.

I think donning the suit at BPS, and walking around the store for an hour would be a great way to judge whether it will be a good suit for warm season wear. (just stare back at the gawkers)

BTW

I'm open to offers on the Bare suit, size XL, like new.

The Columbia American Angler coat and pants seem really nice. The one I am kinda leaning towards right now.

Wetskins dont seem to be too bad either. The one I have now is Wetskins, and it was $50 for the pants and coat, and it did the job, but I did find any length of walking or movement, you would sweat pretty bad..

Gore tex is out of my price range, I'm sure they are really nice, but I wont be wearing a rain suit all that often..

I have looked into the Shimano Rainsuits at CT, but I was told that they leak through the "Shimano" letters on the back of the suit? You havent had any issues with this bubbles?

Was considering just ordering online, but it probably is a good idea to try it on first, considering the money spent. Good idea.

I have one of the Costco Wetskins...don't know the price as it was a gift but I am very happy with it. Has some vent zippers in the jacket that help prevent getting too warm. Like dressing for winter, moisture wicking clothing underneath helps a lot...avoid cotton.

I have 3 wetskins ( got one for the Wife and another for the daughter ... all different styles ... the ladies never ask to go in beacuse of the rain (and they wear theirs in August when its WARM)... I like my heavy Yellow one as shown above BECAUSE it is also very warm ... I go fishin in the mountains early May when the water is 39 degrees surface temp .... and it keeps me warm AND totally DRY ... and when the sun comes out I just take the jacket off and ... if I get warm I use a really thin 'second skin' vest style rainjacket (ala golf) ... with the Wetskin pants ... (btw the suit also acts as a 100% blackfly barrier when I slip a headnet over the hood and velcro the pant legs over my fireman style yellow rubber boots !

Wouldnt even consider the gore-tex (and cost is not the issue) when I watch the guys I fish with in their fancy $800 + suits soakin through a lookin like drowned rats :) I have been out 10+ hours in the beating rain and come in BONE Dry.

Edited by camillj

Costco had a Wetskins winterjacket (waterproof) and bib pants for 60$ a while back. I bought it but later returned it because I was soaked whenever I took off the jacket because it does not breathe at all. Didn't try to take the fleece liner out to see if that made a difference. It would only be good for spring/summer then though.

I have Red-Head Thunderlight jacket & pants and come back bone dry everytime (It's superlight & compact for summer fishing). It's never let me down. Bass pro says the product is no longer available though which really sucks unless it's been replaced under a new name.