Costco Membership

scugpg

We've had a membership a couple of years but I've never really shopped there a lot although we really should. I don't have a deep freezer and it's just my wife and I and an 18 month old. Buying fresh food in bulk doesn't really help us yet until I get that freezer but for whatever reason we keep renewing the membership.

I do a lot of my christmas shopping there which saves me money and buy most of my gas there too (Barrie's location has a gas station). That stuff alone I probably break even on my membership.

17 bucks for four gigantic thick sirloins can't be beat. smile.gif

It's even better pricing if you buy the whole loin and cut it at home yourself.

The only thing Costco won't do in the meat department is custom cutting. I once asked them to cut pork back ribs in half in order to make honey garlic ribs in a slow cooker. They would not do it and told me they do not do any cutting off the usual specs. No worries, still love shopping there.

I laugh when I see what people buy there..Mostly crap they don't need..BUT ,if you know your prices you can make it worthwhile...The vegetable prices are awfull, the meat is overpriced but very good quality(wait for the sales) and the clothes are priced right...Oh yea, good prices at the photo shop....

Is the meat there really pricy? I thought it was the opposite. AAA quality and thick cuts.

I plead ignorant to exact pricing, but I thought it was very well priced. Considering you can by a AA top sirlion from a shopping centre for 7 or 8 bucks, on sale. Anyone know for sure?

Meat is comparable at reg price vs reg price, maybe slightly more at costco. I'll pay a slight premium for their steaks. Stuff like chicken is often times cheaper at the supermarket since it's sale priced fairly often.

I find the prices for meat there to be very fair... and actually in some cases much cheaper.

I like to cook flank steaks. Done properly, they can be fantastic. I can buy one flank steak at Metro, for between $12 and $15, depending on size, obviously. Cheaper if/when they ever go on sale.

Costco, I get two steaks, for about the same price. So to my mind, it depends on what you want/need.

I will buy a hole strip loin roast there. (Here's a ltttle secret for yah... make sure when you buy meat there, that you are buying Canada AAAA beef, not the USA AAA beef. The Canadian beef taste much better to me!) I'll cut it into steak sizes, individually wrap them, then they hit the freezer. This is an extremely cost effective way of getting great steaks and a reasonable price. I do the same with their Rib Eye roasts.

Know your prices, know what you want and Costco can be a great place to shop. Go inthere with no list, no ideas... get ready to be raped at the cash out counter!

HH

Costco is like any other store these days. Some things are cheaper compared to other store sales some aren't. Two things are dirt cheap in price and quality are the Kirkland pecans, and walnuts. Coffee is another very high quality product for the price. The Kirkland jeans are basically indestructable and at 19.99 last time I checked were an extremely good deal.

If you compare specs and model numbers I find that Costco with it's two year warranty, 90 day return policy on TV's they are more than competitive with BB or FS.

Know your prices, know what you want and Costco can be a great place to shop. Go inthere with no list, no ideas... get ready to be raped at the cash out counter!

HH

Thanks! You summed up the costco experience right there!

I find the prices for meat there to be very fair... and actually in some cases much cheaper.

I like to cook flank steaks. Done properly, they can be fantastic. I can buy one flank steak at Metro, for between $12 and $15, depending on size, obviously. Cheaper if/when they ever go on sale.

Costco, I get two steaks, for about the same price. So to my mind, it depends on what you want/need.

I will buy a hole strip loin roast there. (Here's a ltttle secret for yah... make sure when you buy meat there, that you are buying Canada AAAA beef, not the USA AAA beef. The Canadian beef taste much better to me!) I'll cut it into steak sizes, individually wrap them, then they hit the freezer. This is an extremely cost effective way of getting great steaks and a reasonable price. I do the same with their Rib Eye roasts.

HH

Metro has good quality meat but way overpriced as well...I can go to highland in stoney creek..better quality,local beef and properly aged.....

Don't shop at Costco, can't wrap my brain around the idea I have to pay to shop there. Usually find the deals I want at regular discount grocery stores, Lococo or Highland packers and even Wallyworld on occasion.

Canada AAAA beef, not the USA AAA beef.

The grading does not always mean the meat is Canadian raised. Only refers to the grade. U.S or other imports can be graded to Canadian grade standards. Take a close look no matter where you shop.

I watch prices and like quality too, some of the stuff I use Costco for

Coffee- Kirkland Columbian, best coffee for the money

Propane- 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere else

Jeans- best jeans under 20 bucks

Sunflower Seeds-I feed the black oiled sunflower in bird feeders 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere for 40 lbs

Burgers- the 1/3 lb Kirkland frozen sirloin patties are handy and excellent

Meat- more of a quality issue but sales are good

Baked Goods- excellent in store bakery and prepackaged meals

Photo shop- can't beat 15 cent prints and 29 cent 5x7's

You have to know your prices, as for the meat it is unbeatable for taste and price. Except the racks of ribs. They show the good part of the rack and when you get home at least 1/4 of the rack is almost unuseable if you want a nice rack on the BBQ. But if you do not mind fighting around chunks of gristle(??)you should be okay. My ribs are the only thing that I buy at a meat market and only pay for what I will serve.

There is no question it is worth it. You have to know your prices for sure, to recognize how much you will save!

It's a good idea to have a deep freeze and storage space for the big items like toilet paper or paper towel.

I have a family membership as my brother works as a butcher, but I think we would easily get a bigger return by getting the executive membership which pays back 2% or whatever...

From furniture to windshield wipers to milk we buy as much as we can from Costco. There are some things you can't find, and produce section is somewhat limited, and if you like something buy it, it may not be there next time you go! but overall it's great.

We always spend more than was on our list as there are many prices discounted with the yellow highlighter on the price signs. Latest was Kraft smooth peanut butter 1KG for $3.95 as an example...oh or 5lb propane fill for $3.95 compared to that same price but for only a 1lb cylinders at Can tire.

Happy shopping clapping.gif

I watch prices and like quality too, some of the stuff I use Costco for

Coffee- Kirkland Columbian, best coffee for the money

Propane- 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere else

Jeans- best jeans under 20 bucks

Sunflower Seeds-I feed the black oiled sunflower in bird feeders 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere for 40 lbs

Burgers- the 1/3 lb Kirkland frozen sirloin patties are handy and excellent

Meat- more of a quality issue but sales are good

Baked Goods- excellent in store bakery and prepackaged meals

Photo shop- can't beat 15 cent prints and 29 cent 5x7's

You're right on with the price of the jeans AND the sunflower seeds are a great deal....I'm watching the birds eat them right now....(the sunflower seeds..lol)