Not Impressed With ABU Service

solopaddler

Last July I made a post asking if anyone knew of any rep's I could deal with directly.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45609&st=0&p=487690&hl=ABU%20Garcia&fromsearch=1entry487690

The line guide on my Revo Toro stopped functioning the second day of its use on a fly in trip no less.

Anyhow I just started inquiring about it a month ago since I'd been busy 'till then and have the time now.

I contacted a couple of different people that were recommended to me on my thread, plus ABU directly.

The only response I received was from ABU. They're not going to do anything for me. They expressed their concern that I have a problem with my reel, but they won't do anything directly to help, and suggested I take the reel to some place in Orillia.

Fantastic service, gotta love it.

Legally, if the reel is less than a year old, they either have to replace it or repair it free of charge.If it means sending it to Orillia, then thats what you have to do. Its a pain in the keister for sure, but cheaper than replaceing it yourself.dunno.gif

Mike, you can always send them an email saying that you are part of a fishing forum and that you have inquired / posted a question about the members experience with the aforementioned reel and see what they respond.

May work in your favor / may not, but just thought I mention it :)

Edited by Leechman

What's ultimately going to happen because I have no other options, I'll bring the reel to Aikmens and pay to have them fix it. (They won't fix it for free I asked).

Huge pain for me 'cause A.I don't have the time and B. I despise dealing with Aikmens

Oh well, live and learn.

I own quite a few abu reels and have found the customer service to be very good. Have you tried calling pure fishing? I think I gave you this contact info before but I have included the phone number this time. I hope this helps:

Jordan Schwantz

Customer Service Representative

Pure Fishing Canada

131 Savannah Oaks Drive,

Unit # 1

Brantford, ON

N3V 1E8

(519) 750 - 0100 ext 1011

Fax 750 - 0492

[email protected]

Edited by fishgreg

I own quite a few abu reels and have found the customer service to be very good. Have you tried calling pure fishing? I think I gave you this contact info before but I have included the phone number this time. I hope this helps:

Jordan Schwantz

Customer Service Representative

Pure Fishing Canada

131 Savannah Oaks Drive,

Unit # 1

Brantford, ON

N3V 1E8

(519) 750 - 0100 ext 1011

Fax 750 - 0492

[email protected]

Yeah I talked to them directly in Brantford. They referred me to the place in Orillia.

Isn't Aikman's an abu repair shop? My revo toro was broken and they sent me there.

For the record, my toro broke on the 2nd or 3rd trip and they replaced it. Quite happy with the service.

What broke on yours? It was the line guide on mine.

here is the help from the mods.to keep it from going wrong.

Art

Didn't bother me in the slightest Art. If you can dish it out you can take it too. ;)

What broke on yours? It was the line guide on mine.

Not sure what to call it, but the spool disconnected from the axle that went through it. Apparently a common problem with that reel (the guy from aikman's said he saw a bunch).

Called Abu and they ordered a fix and then ended up replacing it.

Not a fan of Aikmens at all.

My sister lives next door to the guy in charge of Pure fishing in Canada but he lives in Portage La Prairie MB so it is not the same guy you are dealing with. I can get his number if you want. Pure fishing used to be based in Portage but have since moved but he still lives there.

Mike,

I had an issue with my 3 year old C3 6500 reel last year and went through the crap you're facing with Pure Fishing tech support here in Canada....

I decided to try the US location and it was like dealing with another totally different company :thumbsup_anim: ...I dealt directly with the support person who does the reel repairs and after discussing my frustration with how my "reel" blew apart, she gave me an RMA# and told me to send it back for repair at "no charge"....she ended up sending me a new reel!!

It's worth the try....here's the info:

Pure Fishing USA

1900 18th Street

Spirit Lake, IA 51360

Phone: Tel: 1.800.228.4272

Not a fan of Aikmens at all.

My sister lives next door to the guy in charge of Pure fishing in Canada but he lives in Portage La Prairie MB so it is not the same guy you are dealing with. I can get his number if you want. Pure fishing used to be based in Portage but have since moved but he still lives there.

Thanks for the offer bud. I'll shoot you a pm if it comes to that.

Mike,

I had an issue with my 3 year old C3 6500 reel last year and went through the crap you're facing with Pure Fishing tech support here in Canada....

I decided to try the US location and it was like dealing with another totally different company :thumbsup_anim: ...I dealt directly with the support person who does the reel repairs and after discussing my frustration with how my "reel" blew apart, she gave me an RMA# and told me to send it back for repair at "no charge"....she ended up sending me a new reel!!

Pure Fishing USA

1900 18th Street

Spirit Lake, IA 51360

Now that's a great idea! Should have thought of it myself.

At the moment I have a friend badgering an ABU rep he knows to help me out. If this doesn't pan out I'll start following these other leads.

Pretty dissapointed to hear so many others are having problems with this reel though. I thought maybe it was just me.

reel repair...interesting. When the line guide on my 6500 busticated I took it as a reason to go buy a new reel of a different make!

My problem was a little different....The spot weld where the body of the reel welds to the base of the reel broke off as I was grabbing my rod out of the Salty rod holder to land a Muskie....user induced???---> possibly but they replaced it for free :worthy:

Mike,

Pure Fishing USA

1900 18th Street

Spirit Lake, IA 51360

I also had great service when I contact Pure Fishing in Spirt Lake, IA by phone...they told me to send it in even though I didn't have the receipt any longer...the roller guide on a spinning reel was pinching the cutting my light 4 and 6# test line....Pure Fishing sent me a brand new reel and it was at my door within 10 days of me sending them my defective one. You know what I think I have the letter I enclosed and who I dealt with on my computer....I'll check and post here if I do have it.

Bob

reel repair...interesting. When the line guide on my 6500 busticated I took it as a reason to go buy a new reel of a different make!

I tend to agree, but when you're talking about an almost $300 reel that breaks the 2nd day you use it I want it replaced or fixed at no charge.

My scenario is a lot different than, say for example, someone who busts the plastic lip off a $6 lure bouncing it off rocks then whines about not getting any satisfaction from the company.

In that case I'd probably tell that person to suck it up, quit your whining, and buy another lure.

Just saying... :D

Edited by solopaddler