snowmobile slams into ice hut on Chemong Lake

chessy

clapping.gif Got that one right. Skidoos in the winter, seadoos in the summer.They are made to go fast, and thats just what people do with them.End of storey.If you dont want these things to happen, force the companies to make em so they cant go fast.dunno.gif

It's just not the speed. I knew a guy that hit a barbwire fence on an 67 Olympic one night chasing a rabbit across a field. It's was the idiots own fault and he was lucky to just get away with a damaged helmet and a permanent smile from the scar where he bit the wire with his mouth. That sled wouldn't do over 30 mph. Fast or Slow there's still is no cure for stupidity.

Edited by Old Man

By the same extension of logic, you should also have reflective strips on your house. Cars crash into houses every year.

All clothing should also be manufactured with sewn in reflectors for the same reason. Pedestrians are run over all the time.

All anybody wants today is more and more unenforceable regs and laws.

Jsut look at all the unenforced rules for bicycles.

Just another costly layer of bureaucracy to protect idiots.

You have my vote for anything you run for, including exhalted baker of cardamom cookies. Couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup_anim:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

You have my vote for anything you run for, including exhalted baker of cardamom cookies. Couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup_anim:

Don't forget the pulla!

If boats at anchor are required to have a light on you would think that reflectors on an ice hut wouldn't be too much to ask. It's not as though there are prescribed ice hut zones on lakes, and if you can put one almost anywhere certainly the snowmobiler can't be expected to know where it will be. No doubt people need to slow down, but then at some point if we all slowed down we wouldn't need brake lights or signal lights either, reflectors are cheap and sensible.

Ever have someone cross the street in front of you on a rainy night wearing nothing but dark clothing? Your headlights don't help a lot, now put a reflective vest on that person, or put them on a bike with reflectors..i would imagine a stationary object in low visibility would be no easier to see. How slow is slow enough as well, and in some places even if you manage to swerve around the first shack your probabaly going to hit one of the other 30 behind it. If it was my shack id want reflectors, for my own sake.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

maybe we should put reflectors on all the trees out there too! not a week goes by some drunken idiot or inexperienced youth doesn't wrap their sled around a maple tree!

maybe we should put reflectors on all the trees out there too! not a week goes by some drunken idiot or inexperienced youth doesn't wrap their sled around a maple tree!

Spruce, pine, oak, and poplar too.As well as cedars and the odd shrubbery.....Ni Ni !!!!th_uglymanlaugh.gif

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen.[1]

th_hijacked.gif

Edited by mercman

Yeah...we did our anual week at Grand Marais.

We all made it back alive again this year.

8 guys with sleds that will all break 100 mph and do.

You just gotta pay attention and pick your spots to play and know when not to. know your limits.

If you can't see clearly you take it easy.

The guy that hits a hut with a sled isn't paying attention. If that didn't get him, something else would.

You can't make a law against stupid.

PS. There are basically no speed limits on the trails in Michigan, they have 5 times the riders as Ontario and no more serious incidents.

We have a 50 kmph law that everybody gets hassled for and nobody follows.

lets not forget , for those of you who say it should be mandatory for huts to have reflective tape on them,do you have reflective tape on the sides of your vehicle??? :wallbash:

its called common sense people.

if your not in control of your vehicle, park it and walk. :wallbash:

lets not forget , for those of you who say it should be mandatory for huts to have reflective tape on them,do you have reflective tape on the sides of your vehicle??? :wallbash:

YES, since 1968 when the federal government mandated side markers on all new vehicles......now most vehicles have a rap around taillight design which meets these requirements.

BTW the GOOD sticky reflective tape can be a little pricey....I applied some on the front and back of my boat and in various places on my trailer...not for someone else's safety but for my own good.....taking self responsibility and SAFETY has been bred into me after 30 dangerous years of working on the railroad.

Bob

One night many years ago my car was parked in my driveway at 3:00 AM when another car came down the road far too fast, the driver couldn't negotiate the curve, went across the lawn and smashed into my vehicle, completely destroying it.

Was it my fault for parking in the driveway ??... I don't think so.

I think it's exactly the same thing when a snowmobile crashes into a stationary ice hut. Either the driver isn't paying attention to where he's going, or else he's driving too fast for the conditions.

If it's dark, or snowing, or foggy or whatever, if you can't see well enough to stop in time.....slow down.

I dunno how much simpler it can be :dunno:

hey guys long time no post but here's my thoughts on this as a sledder and a fisherman; with this really being the second year for the kawarthas ice fishing it is sometimes hard to remember that we have been running these lakes on our sleds long before the huts came along and sometimes they get put in traditional trails area's on the lakes, reflectors are greatly appreciated, just to identify another obstacle , i don't drive overly fast at night even when i know the area now just never know who is moving a sled to a different spot ( i came real close to a black clam the other night and was doing maybe 45km/h).

we as sledders have a responsibility to ride in a safe manner as well and not go out and try and buzz other user groups of the lakes also there is no roads lines or boundrys but ther is something called respect we all need to embrace it.

i hear that you might not want to put your hut in the middle of the 'ice road'.

so we're talking about a guy hitting an ice hut on his snowmobile, headlights, reflective tape etc. and the law/common sense as it applies to the ice covered lake.

so lets melt the snow and make the snowmobile a moving boat and the ice hut a stationary boat. if there was to be a collision the moving boat is responsible to navigate safely blah blah but the stationary boat is required to be lit up side to side and front to back with red and greed and stern/anchor lights.

the two cases are almost identical, except for the ice. so in summer you are required to light up your hazard (the boat) but in winter you can put a hazard (ice hut) on the lake without identifying it?

im not endorsing night time drag races or pointing any fingers at hut owners. just pointing out the similarity between 2 events that are being regarded quite differently.

It's just not the speed. I knew a guy that hit a barbwire fence on an 67 Olympic one night chasing a rabbit across a field. It's was the idiots own fault and he was lucky to just get away with a damaged helmet and a permanent smile from the scar where he bit the wire with his mouth. That sled wouldn't do over 30 mph. Fast or Slow there's still is no cure for stupidity.

I agree with that last line totally.

http://www.chextv.com/News/LN/11-02-09/Ice_Hut_Accident_On_Chemong_Lake.aspx

Gee, I hit a stationary object that was well marked and exceeding all compliance requirements. It must be someone else's fault. :wallbash:

The ice hut owner should receive damages for his equipment loss.

Nice!!!!

OHHHH, it wasn't my fault because I was riding too fast & too close to my buddies so I couldn't see through all the snow. :oops:

Typical!!! It's not my fault, it's the hut owners fault because the reflectors and lights that by law he didn't have to have were too small. :glare:

What a knob!!!

The hut owner should be reimbursed for loss by the sledders insurance. IMHO

The sledder needs to take responsibility for his actions. drag.gif

http://www.chextv.co...emong_Lake.aspx

Gee, I hit a stationary object that was well marked and exceeding all compliance requirements. It must be someone else's fault. :wallbash:

The ice hut owner should receive damages for his equipment loss.

I wonder what his excuse would have been if it was a rock, ice heave of worse still, a stopped or stalled snowmobile.:dunno:

I just love the "it's not my fault attitude" that's so prevalent nowadays.

Edited by Old Man