opinion on next world record

zman

Sorry, just want to chuck in a question (on topic). I know Pike are found all over the place(Europe) but are musky restricted to North America? If so, maybe add a few small fry to foreign travelling vessels ballast water and you may find yourelf a record come 20 years! If not, the Kawarthas !!!

I've read different threads on OFC about this, and the musky guys seem to be consistent in identifying Georgian Bay, Nipissing, Lake O, or the St. Lawrence.

Can't imagine it would be in the Kawarthas, Weeds, the general opinion is that you can get numbers but not size there.

But what do I know, I've only hooked two muskies (so far)...

Mike

Well, I'm certainly no expert but I KNOW one thing. The next genuine world record muskie will be caught in Canada. There are only a handful of spots on the map that can harbour that kind of a beast. Here's my short list in no particular order.

St-Lawrence River (this is one of the bodies of water where Americans have a chance at it.)

Ottawa River

Georgian Bay

Lake St Clair

Niagara....not sure...

Lake of the Woods ( another shot for an American record)

There are a couple of others...maybe.

Nipissing is a possibility...Lake Ontario, I don't think so.

Somewhere in Canada. :D I think the places Roy mentioned have shown the biggest average fish, and have a great chance also the French river.

But I think there are a couple freaks of nature swimming out there, it's like predicting where the next 8 foot man will come from, you just never know, (look at all these 7'10" Chinese men showing up lately playing basketball, you can't explain it, they are as rare as it get's) I guess it will be an accidental catch somewhere in Ontario, or it will be a floating fish that died of old age.

Edited by GbayGiant

Thanx Dax. I wasn't too sure where Lake O was. And yes, technically you're right. Practically speaking, people don't fish Lake O for muskie in great numbers. That's why I'm guessing that the next WR won't come from there.

Georgian Bay for the heaviest fish.

This fish caught a couple years ago was only 53.5 inches long but weighed 63+lbs.

pan3.jpg

Imagine a 58 inch GB fish that fed like that thing.

St. Lawrence/ Ottawa R. around Montreal for longest fish.

In the last 10 yrs. no place has produced more C&Red 58 inch to 60+ inch fish than this area.

For some reason they don't get as bulky as the Georgian Bay fish.

Even though the world record is supposedly a 67 lb. Cal Johnson fish,

the only musky caught without any contraversy is the 65 lb Ken O'Brein fish from GB,

that's the world record thus far IMHO.

In the past i've read that Lac Seul have the most accelerated growth rates of musky,

in the summer. To bad they have the long winters up there.

Lake Ontario probably has a WR fish swimming in it now, but that's like finding a needle in 100 haystacks.

cheers,

ehg

Guest gbfisher
the only musky caught without any contraversy is the 65 lb Ken O'Brein fish from GB,

that's the world record thus far IMHO.

ehg

That remains to be seen! Hopefully the truth will get out soon! :whistling:

I agree with GBfisher,dont hold your breath on Obrien

Williamson fish was 61 pounds,53 inches to the fork

To correct the miss information on the Ottawa and St lawrence not getting heavy or bulky is false,not everything is known about all

Keep in mind most fish caught in the Gbay are speculations of weight,many posted are exagerated.

Although bar non Gbay has produced the only legitemate 60 pounder but by 1 pound

Till they hang like a door knob,its speculation

No one can speculate the weight of a fish accurately,you can guesstimate fish

But I find it funny,when I started muskie fishing 50 inches was a goal,even catching one

Today some think 55 inches makes you something

The spatter of speculated 50 pounders is like a ParKay add

Butter,Parkay,Butter Parkay

If it aint butter then its parkay :)

Till you weigh em you dont know,what you might think to be 50 pounder fer sure might be 45 to 49 pounds,not 50 pounds

To understand the the myth of Freaks,you must understand cold blooded animals

Its not a common occurence for freaks of nature to occur in cold blooded animals

Most giganitsm occurs in warm blooded animals

Why you ask,simple body temperature stability

Cold blooded animals are regulated by heat,the sun and the warmth of their enviroments

Warm blooded animals maintain their body temps which allows for continued and prolongued growth

Most Gigantism is a form of disease generaly triggered by a tumor in the brain

Many good bodies of water mentioned,I doubt if all hold any true world records

Lac Seul,No

Erie,NO

Lake Ontario : No habitat

St Lawrence/Ottawa :Needs Stable water conditrion and forage populations (which are declining)

GBay: Very Possible

Nippising: Great Big fish But it faces the same issues as the St Lawrence and Ottawa

Niagara : No

LOTW : NO

Eagle Lake : Maybe,doubtfull

The biggest reason we may never see a world record.........

Fishing Pressure,It greatly affects their feeding behavior and growth

To understand muskie growth,one must understand growth periods,where we live its short, which over prolongued periods a special individual could attain such weights , depending on the contributing elements and factors and if the yearly cylcle and life cycle would occur for this fish at its prime with all important enviromental factors colliding,so the odds are not good given the average life expectancy for most muskelunge is between 21-26 years of age

So good luck :)