OFN Smelty Attack

bigugli

Past couple of years a few of us get together to catch some smelts on the ice. So Big Cliff and Crappieperchhunter made the annual pilgrimage down to Niagara to get together with RobD and myself on the ice. The bite was steady, but the smelts haven't come in in huge numbers yet. The plus side is that they are a little larger this year. Besides Cliff didn't want to be cleaning 700 smelts like last year. That really gets tiring :stretcher:

We were so busy having fun we all forgot to take pics of the day.

Our final results. 200 plus for eating.

DSCN3260.jpg

RobD was keeping his for salted pike baits.

DSCN3261.jpg

It was nice to see such good friends once again. Hopefully we meet again at the month's end.

I thought something SMELT fishyrofl2.gifrofl2.gif Reminds me of the year i went to Ste Anne de la Parade to fish poisson de Chenaux(Tommy Cod) They have a whole city on the ice there, including restaurants and tackle stores.We musta caugh 1000 of the little buggers.Took 4 hours for 3 of us to clean em.

http://www.ouellette001.com/vivre/028vivre.htm

Looks like you guys had great fun. Thanks for sharingclapping.gif

Thx again for a great day Bruce. The annual pilgrimage by Cliff and I is something we both look forward to. The "Fish TV" is addictive. Ended up with 235. 492 last year...but almost as much meat this year...so the size was much better :thumbsup_anim:

Thx also for the jars of goodies. Had some of the dill pickles...but an emergency visit to the grocery store tomorrow to secure some nacho chips for the salsa is in order.

My second full day on the ice this winter in Cliff's hut...something I could get used too. And I got to Christen my new 8 inch manual LAZER auger. Man they are WAY more work then the 5 inch I use for perchin :(

All in all a fantastic day. I for one will carry on this annual road trip for as long as you can tolerate us. :w00t:

Once again, a wonderful day with exceptional friends. I would have posted last night but by the time I got home, got the smelts cleaned and bagged and in the freezer I was done for the day. (A 2:00 am day start will do that to me.)

Steve, thank you so much for doing most of the driving, as always I really enjoyed the time we spent solving the problems of the world.

Bruce once again, thank you for your company and the goddies the fishing is always fun but the company is what keeps me coming back. I am already looking forward to your visit this summer. We'll have to plan a mini G2G.

Steve and I talked about it on the way home and I think that next year we are going to make it an over nighter. I am starting to find that 7+ hours on the road makes for a very long day of fishing.

Steve and I talked about it on the way home and I think that next year we are going to make it an over nighter. I am starting to find that 7+ hours on the road makes for a very long day of fishing.

Like I said Cliff...I'm fine with an overnighter...as long as you stay on your side of the bed...and you don't make fun of my pink bunny rabbit bedroom slippers :whistling:

Sounds like a good time! Those smelts look edible even raw. A nice clean looking fish and what a super meal they make. Thanks for posting.

Like I said Cliff...I'm fine with an overnighter...as long as you stay on your side of the bed...and you don't make fun of my pink bunny rabbit bedroom slippers :whistling:

Cliff won't mention your bunny rabbit slippers if you don't mention his Roy Rogers jammies. :)

That pan of smelts sure does look tasty Bruce and brings back many fond memories. I never tried catching them with a fish'n pole but used to spend alot of fun time back in the day catching them with a large dip net down along the shores of Lake Ontario.

That pan of smelts sure does look tasty Bruce and brings back many fond memories. I never tried catching them with a fish'n pole but used to spend alot of fun time back in the day catching them with a large dip net down along the shores of Lake Ontario.

My uncle told me about jigging for smelts years ago. Jigging for smelts in Musquodoboit harbour through the ice using eyes for bait. Netting of smelts wasn't allowed. Salt water smelts are a lot bigger too as I recall from some 40 years back.

THe back sure is stiff after looking down the FishTV hole for 6 hours. Neat to watch the little buggers taking up the bait.

You 2 chose a good time to skedaddle. The snow got a lot heavier later on, especially along the lake.

Yeah we caught some of the flurries just south of Toronto. Road was still good but the visibility was not great for awhile.

At work today my back was complaining to me as well :angry: