Lost my job

icefisherman

Well after almost 9 years at the company I've lost my job in December as a result of company restructuring.

I guess this tough economy finally got to me.

Only few OFC members know about this as I didn't want to make too much noise and was hoping to find a new job one quickly.

After few weeks of intensive search though no much result, so I thought it maybe time to ask the grater OFC community for help...

As they say networking is everything now days especially when job searching...

Who knows maybe some one have heard/seen came across something suitable...

I was working for a large security integrator as an Account Executive managing large commercial accounts.

Specifically doing CCTV, IP Video....in general video security projects all over Ontario.

Have been working in the video security industry for over 15 years.

Account Management and Account Executive (sales/project management) positions.

Two Bachelor Degrees (Mechanical Engineer and in Business and Management)

Located in Georgetown, ON so anything in the GTA area will be good.

Have tried my former competitors, suppliers, distributors, on line adds, you name it...not many suitable positions open out there...and the ones I found were rather small companies with offerings far less than what I was having until now.

So unfortunately not much to show at this point.

Have an updated resume if any one wants me to forward it.

Been left on one income (my wife's) and with two small kids and mortgage etc. is not much fun as I am sure you all know...so...as much as I don't like making it public I am afraid I don't have much choice but to ask for your help...

Feel free to PM with any specific questions you may have.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Sorry to hear that Emil. Is there any chance that with your knowledge of the industry you can get your self started as a consultant. You have an established client base...maybe a manufacturer could use your services as a distributor? I don't know, I'm drawing straws here.

Being jobless is always a bad time but you'll get out of it. Good luck.

That`s tough my company downsized a few years ago and I was one of the survivors, I was quitely hoping for one of those BIG golden paychecks but no such luck.

I can`t imagine what it would be like to look for a job I have worked for the same company since 1977.

Best of luck with your search.

chin up.. went through a similar experience (13 years) in the summer/fall. took me a few months but i found something.

sometimes it's easier to find a job when you already have a job and it won't hurt anything to take something for a little less while you keep looking. job loyalty goes both ways but unfortunately is seemihgly more a thing of the past. our employers cannot/wont keep their end of the bargain, no reason for you to -- gotta lookout for #1.

Edited by Raf

chin up.. went through a similar experience (13 years) in the summer/fall. took me a few months but i found something.

sometimes it's easier to find a job when you already have a job and it won't hurt anything to take something for a little less while you keep looking. job loyalty goes both ways but unfortunately is seemihgly more a thing of the past. our employers cannot/wont keep their end of the bargain, no reason for you to -- gotta lookout for #1.

I Agree.

sometimes it's easier to find a job when you already have a job and it won't hurt anything to take something for a little less while you keep looking.

very true words right there. when your not working people wonder why and what's wrong with him. you always look better while you have a current job no matter what it is.

That really sucks dude, but on the bright side, the job market might bring you a new experience which you may like more!

Be competitive, don't turn down interviews, and sell your self to the max!!! A guy with your experience should have no problem landing a sales executive or Sales management position.... Check out all the sources available - Monster, Workopolis, Job shop, Kijiji, craigslist, all major newspapers... Tons of resources and opportunities out there.

Don't stress out too much man, enjoy your time off, and more importantly enjoy looking for a new gig.

I got the axe in October 2001 just after the twin towers fiasco. NO ONE was hiring at that time. Was a rough Christmas and a tough time to keep a positive outloook. I spent a lot of time researching how to do a resume, where to make contacts and how to promote myself, what to say in interviews. I had never had to do that in my working life - I'd had my own company, sold it and slid straight into my next job. There was a lot to learn. One thing I did read from the professional advice was be cautious about taking a position below your previous / what you are looking for - it can appear as if you were promoted above your level of capability. I did get hired, in the new year. I got 2 leads from two of my network buddies. Neither position was posted in any of the usual places.

In my current role I hire lots. I have to admit when I see someone who had a senior position and is now is a lesser one, they are actually at a disadvantage to someone who is not employed -- as long as the gap is less than 6 - 8 months. After that, you have to wonder why?

Being unemployed is very discouraging - but it is temporary - your skills are needed, and the econmomy is definitely on the up tick. You will be back no your feet in no time.

One really good book for perspective is called "What colour is your parachute", or something very close to that. Library has lots of copies. If you want to PM me I will be happy to share anything I can to help (including a bunch of head hunters I know).

As spincast had said, "taking a job below your previous". If you have to, do it to pay bills and keep looking. What I found with my experience looking for work, the possible new employers would rather take an employed person rather than one that isnt. No matter how long you were unemployed.

Good luck out there, your a pro at what you do. Someone will knock on your door, soon enough.

The government often offers free job search courses. I have found these useful in the past. They cover resume writing, interviewing skills, cold calling, etc. All of this at no charge. Some firms will charge several grand for these services.

You can probably pickup a flier from the unemployment office.

Thanks for the PM's and for the kind and encouraging words guys.

Not the first time members of this site has help other members....fishing and otherwise...sure makes one feel good...to help...and be helped...so appreciate all good will.

Daug calling you in a minute and John will call you Monday,.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman