who is liable

chessy

just wondering if someone hits your hut in the dark seeing you placed it there are you liable for placing something on crown land . Now if you put markers on it with even a solar light are you still responsible??

If I'm reading this correctly, I'm betting you are wondering if nimblenuts is going warp drive on a snowmobile at night and at the last second crashes into an ice hut that was beyond the light and his reaction time. Too bad, so sad, for him, unfortunate loss for the hut owner. If you're anticipating this, I'd make the walls out of 4x4 (oak), it hurts more.

I would think its the sledder that is liable. Not really any different then having a car parked on the street and another motorist hitting it. U have to be aware of ur surroundings and in complete control at all times when operating any motor vehicle. How is him hitting ur hut that u placed on the ice any different then him running through u sitting beside a hole fishing with no hut there? Are u liable for his carelessness because u were standing on the ice?

I'm not sure and have never come across this, but since the sled is a motor vehicle, I'd say the driver is responsible. I mean if a guy is flying around and hits a buried utility box and hits it, then he's responsible...I think the same thing goes. If anyone wants a real answer I can ask a buddy of mine in the marine unit who works most winter days on simcoe