Extended loads past tailgate.... Legalities?

BillM

Just picked up a sled and it sticks out quite a bit past the tailgate when in the back of my S10. I've been searching the MTO site without much luck. Is there a limitation as to how far my load can stick out past the tailgate? I realize it will need red flags or similar, but I just want to make sure I'm legal driving down the road (with it secured in place with tie-downs obviously)

Here ya go:

The Highway Traffic Act states that any load overhanging the rear of a vehicle by 1.5 m (5 ft) or more should be marked by a red light when lights are required (one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise) and, at all other times, by a red flag or red marker.

Oh ya, if your kidoo hangs over by 5 feet, I think you'll be doing a wheelie all the way to the lake in an S-10. :rofl2:

Edited by Fisherman

LOL!!! Yeah, it's no 5ft, maybe a foot and a half at most, I appreciate the info! One less thing to worry about.

Damn ZR2's and their shortboxes!

The interesting part is how I'm going to load this sucker, lol.

Edited by BillM

no worries about marking it,fisherman hit it on the head.

as for loading it......

you can buy a ramp/build a ramp.

another limited option is to make sure you pile a snow bank high enough to load it each time.

save the hassle and start looking for a single or utility trailer!

no worries about marking it,fisherman hit it on the head.

as for loading it......

you can buy a ramp/build a ramp.

another limited option is to make sure you pile a snow bank high enough to load it each time.

save the hassle and start looking for a single or utility trailer!

I already have access to a trailer, the problem is storing it. No room at my place..

I'll check out the ramps at PA! I actually off loaded it tonight into a snowbank at the front of my house. Pulled it out, put it into reverse and off she came.

Brother rides the 407 all the time on his Harley.. standard config, as manufactured, storage box overhangs the plate and the camera can't pick it up. Plate is not "obstructed" and not his problem that camera angle can't pick it up. Same deal with a tailgate down with load in truck. Plate can still be read by the police following.. it's not "obstructed". There are no "exceptions" in the HWTA for the 407.

Edited by irishfield

LOL!!! Yeah, it's no 5ft, maybe a foot and a half at most, I appreciate the info! One less thing to worry about.

Damn ZR2's and their shortboxes!

The interesting part is how I'm going to load this sucker, lol.

Ramps are on special starting Thursday at CTC.

Older Polaris, 2000 Indy Trail Touring. Twin 550, 2UP, reverse, etc etc. Should be a great ice fishing machine.

Great ice fishing sled. I could see where it might stick out of the back of an S10 being its a touring longtrack model LOL. I'll have to keep an eye out there for ya. If you see someone pulling up on an even older indy trail its me. :D