Classic snowmobiles

Rod Caster

Hey Ryan I had that same Phazer II back when it was just out what a great sled a buddy had the other model which was reverse paint we switched side covers and she sure did look wicked all white. One of the best pasts about this sled was she NEVER got stuck I was always the one to break new trails one of the best sleds I have owned.

I also loved my 650 INDY but she was not any good in very deep snow if you stopped it was fun to try and get going again but she was great for trail ridding and also lake racing which we did daily in Sudbury, all kids of people would show up to moonlight beach on Lake Ramsey in Sudbury and race out to the first island all day no rules just great times.

I like the look`s of some of the old girls but would never want my elan or olimpic back.

LOL Cant believe you gave me a ride on that sled all the way to the Falcon hotel one very cold sudbury night lonnng ago,.... :canadian:

had this on the lake a few times.1969 Massey Ferguson!

Wow that brought back some memories! I'll have to dig some old photos of my '71 "bang whiz" i bought it when i was 12 and still have it. Its in the haymow though, not much left of it.

1987 Bravo. With some Mods fir ice fishin.

Our first sled up in Pickle Lake was a ski doo olympique. It would start in -50° (sometimes..)

Bravo...same one my bro still has. He refuses to get rid of it even though it's falling apart. hehehe

Some of these sleds are incredible, like the Merc.

anyone run an Alpine?? We have an '84, and '85. I'll take some pics. They will go anywhere, and pull anything. We use them for packing deep snow on the X-country ski trails. They are unstopable!

S.

Unless you got them stuck in a foot and a half of slush on the way to a camp party and decided to come back the next day to get it out. It went down to -30 overnight. took us 2 days to get it out of there. They were heavy especially with a full tank of gas.

I definatly seen you go tootin' by me a couple time last year on your way to long shoal?... Can't mistake the sound of the old bravo for anything.

That's where the top pic is from!

Give me a wave next time you see me.

Unless you got them stuck in a foot and a half of slush on the way to a camp party and decided to come back the next day to get it out. It went down to -30 overnight. took us 2 days to get it out of there. They were heavy especially with a full tank of gas.

yeah, if you get them stuck, you may as well laeave them there till spring LOL. They don't get stuck often though. Ours are going to get a workout tomorrow!! I'll get some action pics while I'm out there grooming!

S.

A couple more - my father's machine in 1972 --- a Mercury...

:thumbsup_anim: Now that's Style.

The 250 had a more conventional timing advance mechanism, a large chrome automotive-type air cleaner, twin headlights, a rear mounted gas tank, and a large muffler under the seat with the tailpipe exiting at the rear of the sled, under the fuel tank. Louvers ventilated the aluminum tunnel around the muffler to aid in cooling and keep the rider's legs warm. This exhaust system was also handy for cooking hot dogs wrapped in aluminum foil and tossed under the seat! The track was reinforced with steel cable because of the 250's weight, which is wisely not listed in the owner's manual but is massive. This steel cable tended to make the track as stiff as wood whenever the sled sat unused for a few hours under cold conditions. To free up the track before use, one would have to remove the hood, put the rear up on it's kickstand, and manually turn the driven sheaves backwards a few turns, to give the motor a "running start" at loosening up the stiffened track without burning the drive belt to shreds. The engine was a 436cc 25hp twin, with a Tillotson carb featuring a fixed, "Mikuni-style" high speed jet.

Edited by BUSTER

:thumbsup_anim: Now that's Style.

The 250 had a more conventional timing advance mechanism, a large chrome automotive-type air cleaner, twin headlights, a rear mounted gas tank, and a large muffler under the seat with the tailpipe exiting at the rear of the sled, under the fuel tank. Louvers ventilated the aluminum tunnel around the muffler to aid in cooling and keep the rider's legs warm. This exhaust system was also handy for cooking hot dogs wrapped in aluminum foil and tossed under the seat! The track was reinforced with steel cable because of the 250's weight, which is wisely not listed in the owner's manual but is massive. This steel cable tended to make the track as stiff as wood whenever the sled sat unused for a few hours under cold conditions. To free up the track before use, one would have to remove the hood, put the rear up on it's kickstand, and manually turn the driven sheaves backwards a few turns, to give the motor a "running start" at loosening up the stiffened track without burning the drive belt to shreds. The engine was a 436cc 25hp twin, with a Tillotson carb featuring a fixed, "Mikuni-style" high speed jet.

Thanks, Buster! I didn't know all that. I was on my own (and living far away) by the time my Dad got this machine so I never saw much of it. I remember being impressed by the looks and the handling though. I also remember thinking that my younger brother and sister were lucky, because my parents used to like to ice fish a lot, and when I was a kid and we couldn't go out by car, we would walk or ski, dragging a toboggan. :)

1970 Blizzard is one of the coolest sleds ever

I suspect you were referring to the mullti-cylinder models cuz they were definitely cooler looking but I trail rode a 292 single for a couple of years. I usually ran with the expansion chamber cuz I loved the snarl but i had a can rigged up just in case. As I recollect the lighting was a bit of a problem but we came up with a solution although for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Wish I had pics because it looked mint. Of course it was only about 3 years old but had been raced since new. I gave it a new hood, windshield and seat.

JF