301 garcia mitchell reel, finally

vinnimon

As usuall I hit the local tackle shop for some bait and supplies this am. Something told me to bring a timmies for tim, why not. While chatting I seen this reel, all in perfect order for sale. The price was good, so I knabbed itbiggrin.gif .

For many years I searched for one in excelent condition and at a fair price. Same as my friends dad reel that I always wanted.

Todays the daysmile.gif

Im curious as to what its worth to a collecter. Not for sale btwtongue.gif

I picked one up at an auction in Ontario.

It was pristene. It didn't look like it was ever used and came in the original box with owners manual, spare spool in spare spool container.

Price?

$17.50!!!!!! w00t.gif

I ended up selling it on ebay and it fetched somewhere between $125 and $130 US. thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

A nice tidy little proffit. whistling.gif

I still have a few 300's kicking around. I don't think that they're worth much. There were probably tens of thousands of them around 30+ years ago and I suspect that there are still lots tucked away in basements and garages, like mine for example. But congrats anyways.

Nice find Vince.

Have a few of those in the boat house at the lake (there when I bought it)... guess I should dust them off and ebay them.. lol

Probably not worth much at all, like you said dan. Its what I recalled and how tough they really are. My friend dad used his all the time with out issues.

I paid xx$ for this reel, fair enough.

How much are you selling yours for wayne? j/k

And wayne I know where theres another one for free.Just have to find it.

Its in puslinch lake somewhere in the deep endrofl2.gif

A friend used the same reel(while icefishing) and a pike took the whole rig up into the drink, ten years back. What a dufus! His granfathers reel I may add! I was going to buy it from him.

There's usually a bunch of 300-series reels on eBay. They're not too hard to find, and usually $10 to $30 range. eBay is a geat source for parts as well, in case you want a spare spool or when (not if) the bail spring breaks.

300's

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=mitchell+300&_sacat=0&_odkw=mitchell+301+300+reel&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

301's

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=mitchell+301&_sacat=0&_odkw=mitchell+300&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313'>http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=mitchell+301&_sacat=0&_odkw=mitchell+300&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

308's

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=mitchell+301&_sacat=0&_odkw=mitchell+300&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

330's

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=mitchell+330&_sacat=0&_odkw=mitchell+308&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

It's fun to fish with vintage tackle now and then. Every now and then I spend a day with my old Cardinal 3 .... it's a crappy reel by today's standards, but was once state-of-the-art, and it's still fun to fish with every now and then.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I got 5 300's and 2 301's and 2 408's and also a couple of older mitchel caps.There not worth to much, but the older mitchell 300 from france are the good ones, the garcia mitchells are a cheaper made model from the original, they cheapened the gearing from the originals. I still got about 20 bail springs laying around aswell.

My 2 ultralite spinners are a Mitchell 308, very nice shape with a shallow and deep spool, loaded with 2 and 4 lb. test, bought it about 65 along with a top grade Heddon 5 foot ultralite rod, it has the old etna foulproof guides on it, still gets brought out ditch hopping small brushy trout streams. The other a Zebco Cardinal 3, with 4 and 6 lb test spools, it sees duty on a couple of Loomis sticks, a 1 piece IM6 ultra lite with Fuji high frame single foots mainly for tossing ultralight jigs and on a old Loomis Premier 13 foot 96% graphite noodle, for when I need a change from running float gear for steelhead.

The 301 may be of more interest to a collector as it is the less common left handed reel, as Drifter mentioned original packaging would have brought the value up considerably. Although newer the Zebco Cardinals seem to hold the best value used , I suspect all but the very best of them sold will be used on a river though.

Got a few of them, one was my father's, one I used it until a few years ago when a pike sripped the gear on it (aluminum gear) and one my next door nieghbour gave me in great condition just like my father's. Like the 300 so much that my present reel is a version of that, 300x. Have the older version that came out in the 50's, forget the model # right now.

300 was not cheap in it's day, cost was more than you pay for today's version of it.