New Outboard Motor

RangerGuy

Ok so I have decided that it is a Lund Alaskan for me this year :)

I was at the boat show and was suprised how hard it was to get someone to give me a price, but quotes are starting to flow in now :)

I'm torn between the 18' or 20'. If I do go with the 18 it will be a tiller but if I go with the 20' it will be a full console (Wifes request)

This boat will be used for both fishing (mostly walleye and musky) and duck hunting any where I can.

So I'm looking for an outboard that will handle the fringe seasons reliably early season and breaking ice at the end of duck season.

I would prefer to stick with a DFI 2 Stroke for wieght if possible.

Would love to hear everyones opinion.

If I was spending that kind of money I'd test drive it before buying it... just like buying a car/truck in my opinion. I've been in a 17.5 G3 and absolutely loved the ride, but when I got into the slightly larger version of the same boat with the full windshield it wasn't my cup of tea. Prior to that I thought I would have liked having the full windshield. Giving each one a quick test drive might just make it a no brainer for you....

Good Luck!

Go and take a look at the weight differences between the 2 and 4 strokes, you might not want a 2 stroke anymore.

agreed... my 20HP 4 stroke Electric start Yammy never fails and I run it while there's still chunks of ice floating around and the only launch that isn't iced up is the one that's on Big Creek on Long Point bay

When your running down the lake at 50 MPH on a cold frosty morning and it's pouring down rain, that full windshield is pretty darned nice. Add in a full stand-up top and your good to go. I've owned them all RG and now I wouldn't have anything else.

As for the motor, I've been real happy with the 150 Yamaha but then again, my Merc was flawless for 8 years too.

Sweet choice of boat. My next one is going to be the Alaskan 1600 (hopefully this summer?). It will be mounted with an E-tec.

Had an E-tec on my last boat and it worked great. the only time I ever had to choke it was when it was something like -25 going duck hunting. Not sure if it is true or not but I have heard that 4 strokes have to be all the way down to start? 2 strokes can be started at an angle. for me that was an important factor because I am often starting up in shallow water.

I have been in the 1800 Alaskan. It is a nice big boat. Very stable and lots f room being tiller. While I do like consoles, my next one will be tiller for the space and not having to deal with the windshield while hunting.

Sweet choice of boat. My next one is going to be the Alaskan 1600 (hopefully this summer?). It will be mounted with an E-tec.

Had an E-tec on my last boat and it worked great. the only time I ever had to choke it was when it was something like -25 going duck hunting. Not sure if it is true or not but I have heard that 4 strokes have to be all the way down to start? 2 strokes can be started at an angle. for me that was an important factor because I am often starting up in shallow water.

I have been in the 1800 Alaskan. It is a nice big boat. Very stable and lots f room being tiller. While I do like consoles, my next one will be tiller for the space and not having to deal with the windshield while hunting.

here is what you want.....18 alaskan with 75 e-tec...mounted on hole number 3 with a 17 pitch viper prop or a 15 if you are going to load it down....very nice rig...got some pics i have to resize later

I owned an 18' Alaskan wheel boat and 50hp Honda. They were of 1998 model year. Great boat and nice ride, top end with a bow mount and two batteries stored up front was 30mph. I kept that boat for 8 years. 30 mph may sound okay but from a handling perspective it could have used the extra hp. If you go tiller in 18' that won't be a problem as your nose will be riding higher. Before buying my pro-v last year I gave serious consideration to a 20' Alaskan with full windsheild. The only thing I didn't like about the boat is the 20" transom, but it is huge compared to the 18'r,and has a slightly raised bow platform which the 18' doesn't. Personally, I believe dollar for dollar you can't find a better purely utilitarian get the job done boat than the 20' Alaskan. Given the 20" transom I would stick to one of the lighter 2 strokes (even though I'm a 4 stroke guy)and get close to max hull rating which I believe was 135HP. That would be one sweet rig. My best quote last year for a 20' was $25,995 with a 115 4 stroke Merc with dash gauge pkg, trailer with brakes,24V bow mount, 3 batteries,and small sonar for the bow. These boats are hard to find used for a reason, but it was my experience that it held it's value well.

Don't over look the Starcraft Freedom series of big tiller utility boats. They make a solid hull!!

If your going to duck hunt out of your new rig, you don't want a windshield. A small side console is one thing, but a full windshield is a PITA in a duck rig. If your that into duck hunting, your probably like me, and don't give a rats ass about the cold wind in your face running the tiller anyways :thumbsup_anim: Put in a windshield and all the other controls and you add a pile of weight, and lose a pile of space. Its a no brainer for me.

Max HP or nothing!!!

S.

BTW, that Alaskan quote came from Rapid Sport Marine in Minnesota. It was not an in stock boat, they were going to factory order. Given the current exchange rates this will hopefully give you some idea of fair pricing. I know my quotes for this boat were all over the map, but this was the best one by quite a bit. I ended up driving out there and buying a leftover 1900 prov from them. Good people.

Definitely agree on the 18 with a tiller. Overall interior space is not much different than a 20 with a console.

If you're worried about engine weight, a Yamaha 70 four-stroke is by far the lightest 70/75 on the market, including the E-TEC and OptiMax two-strokes. You can see it at the Toronto Boat Show this week. I've driven it a bit and its a wonderful engine.

Four-Strokes

Yamaha F70............260 lbs

Suzuki DF70...........341 lbs

Mercury 75 EFI........399 lbs

Honda BF75............359 lbs

Tohatsu 75 EFI........337 lbs

Two-Strokes

Evinrude E-TEC 75.....320 lbs

Mercury 75 Optimax....375 lbs

I'm using a 16' 9" (yes, 9" is important) Princecraft with a 60hp 4s tiller..I think Chris is in a 17' Lund with a 75hp tiller....both great boats to fish from. OK OK OK Spiel's boat is nicer. smile.gif

I would't say it was nicer Roy, just 3"s longer. biggrin.gif

Heres one from Today , its a 2010 90 Etec tiller had it out all december , january , one click of the key and it fires right up never had a bad day because of this motor its been great and fuel isnt an issue either , its on a 18'6 alumacraft tournament pro, runs like 35mph , big boat

coldNiagaarSaturday005.jpg

coldNiagaarSaturday008.jpg

Edited by Wiser