How do you mount your electronics/battery for Ice fishing?

scugpg

I'm going cable crazy with my electronics and want to see what kind of box ideas I can build to house the HDS and a battery and have quick access to deploy the ice-ducer.

Having a tough time finding the Lowrance ice kit (and the price is a bit staggering), so was wondering what you guys use to rig them up for winter.

Just about finished getting mine all set, Lowrance X100C. I carry it all inside an old tackle box, the unit, 12 volt battery and transducer + cable. Once I reach the holes, I mount the Lowrance on top of the box. Have a drilled hole, use a bolt, washer and wing nut set-up to hold it on top. I've used pipe insulation foam for the floatation on my transducer cable.

Much cheaper alternative than spending $160 on an ice conversion pack.

Here's mine.. holds two 8ah batteries and leaves enough room to put eveything in the box when done fishing. Ram mount ball bolted to top corner of case and a universal joiner. 102C is off the bow of my Lund. I have it wired with sockets on the case to plug my 12v-1000ma charger into the case and also so I can plug it in, to the heated helmut RCA cord, when moving on my sled .

dec272010a.jpg

Here's a clearer shot..

icefish8.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Here's mine.. holds two 8ah batteries and leaves enough room to put eveything in the box when done fishing. Ram mount ball bolted to top corner of case and a universal joiner. 102C is off the bow of my Lund. I have it wired with sockets on the case to plug my 12v-1000ma charger into the case and also so I can plug it in, to the heated helmut RCA cord, when moving on my sled .

dec272010a.jpg

Here's a clearer shot..

icefish8.jpg

Very Nice irishfield! The ram mount is a great idea I think I'm going to do that as well.

How did you fix the foam to the transducer cord? This is just so it doesn't go 5ft into the hole?

They're great to take... pop top cans !!!

Foam.. Scugog... it's just the pipe wrap foam with the slit. You just loop the cable around once on a piece about 10" long.. and you can slip the cable up/down so it hangs just below the ice.

..and that style of plastic box even has a little flip compartment on the top.. fits a fillet knife perfectly!!

Edited by irishfield

This is the top half of a princess auto rolling tool box. The lower unit has wheels and connects with latches if needed. The LMS520 is mounted on a Johnny Ray quick release. When dismounted, the big yellow handle folds down for a smooth top box. Inside I have enough room for two batts, two sonar units, a removeable tray for other goodies and quick access storage by lifting the clear lids on top.

Stop in and check it out if you like, I should be home all day if you're in the neighbourhood.

IMG00039-20110109-1433.jpg

IMG00040-20110109-1434.jpg

Thought I'd follow up and show my new little setup. $19 for the toolbox. The key was to mount the battery in the back-center so the handle balances when the unit is mounted! I like this toolbox because of the top cases and you can fit the ice-ducer in there. Just hope the plastic holds up in the cold.

DSC00927.jpg

Edited by scugog

I want to use my lowrance boat unit on the ice too - but I need the power cord and transducer for my LMS520c.

Doesn't the lowrance kit Ppp-16i come with all of the cords, battery and transducer though???

A transducer costs 80 bucks and I am sure the lms power cord costs 30 - that is 110 plus tool box costs...

A home-made one for my LMS520 would be 120 or so right?

Am I wrong on the costs of making my own?

landry

The Lowrance kit comes with the power cord and transducer. Swing arm as well as a few more things suh as a battery and carring case. I have the kit but dont use it for a HDS-10. I will probally use it for my DSI unit at the end of the month. Thats a 5" unit. Not sure if it will be sufficient though. There is one on Kijiji right now( Ice Transducer) Power cords are cheap. Batteries are cheap. You can build one better for under $120.

The Lowrance kit comes with the power cord and transducer. Swing arm as well as a few more things suh as a battery and carring case. I have the kit but dont use it for a HDS-10. I will probally use it for my DSI unit at the end of the month. Thats a 5" unit. Not sure if it will be sufficient though. There is one on Kijiji right now( Ice Transducer) Power cords are cheap. Batteries are cheap. You can build one better for under $120.

Good to know. Let us know how the DSI fairs out on ice!

Ditto. I like to pick one of these units up in the spring, for the boat and ice fishing. I've had lots of experience with an X67C and it is dynamite - except they could update it. How does the DSI work on ice? It's a big purchase for me and I want to be sure sonar intended for summer work just as well in winter. Anyone comment with experience. Terry is that a scanning type sonar. There are so many models and tech staff it gets confusing. BTW i think BassPro is selling a sonar unit by Lowrance that is bigger than and X67C in its own case. Thanks.

Good to know. Let us know how the DSI fairs out on ice!

A word of advice.. and I need to do it in my own finder/battery box.. put a piece of SM/styrofoam under the battery to insulate it from the ice. That way, when you're in your heated hut the battery won't lose power by getting chilled sitting on the ice. Other option is to just carry a piece of SM in the tobogan and sit the whole unit on it.

I also have a cord made up for mine so that I can plug it into the finder box, to charge the batteries while moving locations on the sled... using my heated helmut jack.

Here's my ice rig and a few quinte eyes from last week! No need for anything fancy. I think you guys using the hds units etc are nuts to be dragging that kind of gear around on the ice!! Stuff takes a beating out there. I betcha my unit will mark the same fish yours will :whistling: And my jig at any depth too :clapping: All for about $300 all in. Case carries an 8ah battery and the rest of my cord inside. Battery will last days without charging too!!! No need for a spare, even for a weekend with no power to re-charge!

S.

PB120014.jpg

The inside of my case is lined with foam that had been molded to fit all batteries and unit. I bought 2 cans of spray foam, sprayed it in and put plastic wrap on it . Waited for it to get set up a bit and placed the stuff into it. Voila, a custom moulded case that can take a beating. Call me crazy :whistling: I do alot of recording on my units just for fun. I like fiddeling around with them to dial them in better. Do they se more, no, but I dont want to use an older model. If we all kept the older ones the companies would go out of business. :D Just for the record, if they made a 14" HDS, I would be fishing with that on the ice, and probally watching the Hockey game on spit screen, one can dream.