tiller outboard motor - pull start or key ignition?

saneryin

which one would you prefer? or it doesn't matter?

I am about to by my first outboard, must be tiller for my small boat.

I personally prefer key ignition start, just like starting a car. but many good deals in kijiji were pull start...I have to consider pull start ones since it has been quite a long time watching.

how much pulling force is requested to start a tiller motor in general? does this related to the HP of the motor? I am looking for a 20, 25, (up to 35 HP). will it be very hard to pull start? I am not a strong mucle man. for max. 10 lbs pulling force is ok for me. but over 15 lbs pulling force, I would most likely not buy.

any input would be highly appreciated.

thanks.

Thanks for comment.

but why not a tiller? because you have a bigger boat? (that is understandable).

or just because tiller hard to manipulate?...

I love to see more comment if you have bad opinion to tiller :o

I have to use a tiller style since my boat is small and not possible to install a control console set.

I currently have a 15 hp merc pull start tiller. If I had a choice, I would go for key start. Not that it is hard to pull start, but, the convenience of key is nice. Plus my next boat definitely will NOT be a tiller.

Thanks for comment.

but why not a tiller? because you have a bigger boat? (that is understandable).

or just because tiller hard to manipulate?...

I love to see more comment if you have bad opinion to tiller :o

I have to use a tiller style since my boat is small and not possible to install a control console set.

Sorry, that probably came across as me hating tillers. My next boat will definitely be bigger than my current 14 fter, and, one of my requirements is a double console/windshield with steering wheel. Thus the comment definitely NOT a tiller. On a smaller boat there is nothing wrong with a tiller, can be a PITA when trolling in windy conditions (especially if there are two or three of you in the boat).

I really like the tillers, in bigger boats as well. Nothing taking up space, lots of room to move around and fish.

Instant control for trolling, which I find much easier in wind than in a console. Windshields are nice in the fringe seasons but still not nice enough for the space loss.

My next boat will be a 20' lund predator or a 2075 ProV tiller with a either 200 or 250 depending on which model, the steering assist is pretty sweet. Plus 60mph in a tiller is cool.

Edited by Jay Hamilton

Remember if you are buying off KIJIJI then you are likly buying stolen goods!!!

I resent being called a thief. A lot of people post goods for sale on that resource,(including me), and I am quite sure that most of them are honest.

Ahhh the tiller console war is about to begin.... :w00t: IF I went crazy and lost my mind and got a tiller I would get the electric start option. I have never owned anything but consoles so I am jaded but when you are out fishing the last thing you want to do is be pulling on your johnson on the water....

Art

Ahhh the tiller console war is about to begin.... :w00t: IF I went crazy and lost my mind and got a tiller I would get the electric start option. I have never owned anything but consoles so I am jaded but when you are out fishing the last thing you want to do is be pulling on your johnson on the water....

Art

You just had to know someonr would respond with this:

Edited by HTHM

Electric start is nice to have, but not always a necessity.

This past year on a small boat I sometimes use, I had 2 different 15 HP 2 strokes on it. One electric, one not.

I preferred the electric but it's just because I'm naturally lazy. :)

The motor I will put on it next year is an old 18 Johnson, that just happens to be an electric, but no charging system.

Hello haveing both I would have to say tiller is the way to go if you want tight stearing and more room. However if your looking for a boat to go with friends and family the wheel is nice. It just seem more relaxing.

Tiller is easer to get into tight launches espacally if your new to boating..

Key start is nice but if the price is right i would not turn down a pull .. I have allways wanted a charging system I do mostly downrigging (elec rigers)

With a small boat i deffently want tiller larger the boat more room you can give up hope this helps

best of luck

Thank you all guy for your wonderful comment.

I canceled my schedule to look an tiller 200 kms away this weekend after verified it is a pull start style.

I read through all the posts in this topic. many people mentioned "charging system" - does that mean some outboards are NOT gas burner? Are some of them has an option to drive by battery just like a trolling motor as well as by burning gas?

Where should I look for resource of the outboard information? I will search tonight when I get a breath...too fxxking busy these days. but if anyone happen to know some resource of tiller outboard information, that would be a great help to me. really appreciated.

it is a 14' inflatable boat I bought. I like to play with it for a couple of years before I upgrade - if I still have interest in fishing.

Remember if you are buying off KIJIJI then you are likly buying stolen goods!!!

Really.. That's a pretty inaccurate statement dude. Lots of guys here buy and sell on Kijiji on a regular basis, including myself. I’ve never had any issues with stolen merchandise. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but definitely not at the rate your implying.

As for pullstart vs electric start.

I have a early 80’s OMC 25hp with electric start. It usually starts 1st pull. However, if it’s acting up, the electric start is great! After a few tugs on the 25hp pullstart, your arm can get a little messed up (I have bad tendonitis).

gh all the posts in this topic. many people mentioned "charging system" - does that mean some outboards are NOT gas burner? Are some of them has an option to drive by battery just like a trolling motor as well as by burning gas?

If you are asking this type of question, you should really take a boating course or something...

it's obvious you have zero knowledge about motors and possibly boating and that can be fatal/dangerous when on the water...

not trying to be negative, but...