polaris quad runners

grt1

I went to dryden yesterday and talked myself into getting a quad, so today I looked around town here and am looking at a polaris as it is in my price range and can be handled by my wife but i would like some input from the members who have them to see if I should go the polaris way.

Any comments would be appreciate it

Yup - as Skeeter said - love my Sportman. I have yet to find its limitations. I would buy another one in a heart beat! Only thing I did was add chains to the back tires ( for ice fishing Simcoe ) - pulls my 8 X 10 sleeper hut around like its not even there!

Don

Yup - as Skeeter said - love my Sportman. I have yet to find its limitations. I would buy another one in a heart beat! Only thing I did was add chains to the back tires ( for ice fishing Simcoe ) - pulls my 8 X 10 sleeper hut around like its not even there!

Don

and even stops faster then the hut too----- :rofl2:

There's no question that certain brands have built up better reputations than others for dependability etc. Generally the common factor is a strong dealer network and great parts support.

One thing to keep in mind with all these rec type machines is having a great service/parts dealer close by unless you're a mechanical type who does all his own service work and doesn't mind waiting for parts from afar. After that it often comes down to how hard you are on the machine and how well you understand the mechanicals involved. Some guys could never figger out why I didn't have more mech problems with my toys. It was because I understood what was happening inside and treated the machine accordingly. Listen to Nascar guys talking. The crews will say the winning drivers just know what going on in the power train, and in the suspension, and the tires, etc etc.

Get the lowdown on any local dealers and then make that at least a part of your decision. I've always contended that most of the big brands are actually pretty good. A lot of the after sale dependability really depends on how well the dealer does the pre-delivery. I used to strip my sleds and biked down to the basics and then reassemble them proplery. I found lots of little things I didn't like but by fixing or replacing them ahead of time like a good dealer should I avoided breakdowns on the trail.

I used to feel a little bit sorry for those guys who went far afield to get the best deal or on a brand recommendation alone who later found themselves with a busted toy and a long wait for parts and service. My mean side also got a small kick out of seeing them suffer because they thought they were beating the system by not buying locally (from me, for instance).

Ask the guys who give the strongest product recommendations if they have great dealer support. That's my 2 cents worth.

JF

Polaris has one of the lowest trade in values of the major brands.

Electrical and suspension issues were a downfall in many models.

Avoid chain driven rear axles.

Often you get what you pay for in an ATV.

If it won't be driven hard or often the Polaris may be good value.

But if you plan on keeping it for a long time (like Wayne) your money may be better spent on a different brand.

Polaris has one of the lowest trade in values of the major brands.

Electrical and suspension issues were a downfall in many models.

Avoid chain driven rear axles.

Often you get what you pay for in an ATV.

If it won't be driven hard or often the Polaris may be good value.

But if you plan on keeping it for a long time (like Wayne) your money may be better spent on a different brand.

read this post and dont forget it!!!!

ive had my my grizzly 700 with eps for 1.5 years and ride it nearly every weekend. ive put on more than 2000kms so far and the ONLY issue was a broken cv joint. the only reason it broke was from a rip in the boot that allowed crap to get in there. i have 1" wheel spacers and a 2" lift which cause severe strain on the suspension, axles, and joints with zero problems. my buddy put just a 2" lift in his polaris 700 and broke 2 axles after 15 minutes of riding...

ive done literally hundreds of long wheelies, almost always hammer the gas, hit every mud hole i find, and quite frankly drive it likes it stolen. no problems even after doing dozens of water wheelies in 4-5ft+ of water either. its been rolled a dozen times including one going 40km/h (which really hurt), smashed into trees, flipped end over end once (i was knocked out from that one), and keeps on ticking.

sure there are faster and smoother riding atv's out there, but if you want a machine that can take abuse i highly recommend the grizzly 700. i've seen so many polaris' with problems that id place a lot of $$$ on my machine for reliability...how about ownerships? B)

that said, i ride in a group that ranges from 2 to 25 quads and i get to see a lot of machines get beat on. polaris is the last machine id ever own and would likely give up quading before owning one. they are fine for normal riding and use, but thats it. they are always the machines to break down first on our hardcore rides that involve racing and deep mud. last time out it took 3, 2500lb winches to haul out a broken polaris. 2 of them broke that day :whistling:

yamaha, kawi, and suzuki are by far the best for dependability. my machine has now convinced 4 others in our group to switch to grizzly 700's and they couldnt be happier...

a pic that sums up my style of riding :thumbsup_anim:

Pictureskels014-1.jpg

and then a pic of what the polaris guys get to see all the time...my rear end :whistling:

Pictureskels015.jpg

Edited by ch312

I want to thank everyone who answered this post. I took into consideration everything you guys said and ended up getting a yamaha 450 eps (with a winch and snow plow and 2 years extended warranty thrown in) from the dealer in Ear Falls .

now all I have to do is wait for the snow to fly.

by the way, i got a call from the polsris dealer today and he was going to sell me the polaris for 1100 more than i paid for the yamaha. he was going to charge me for the plow and winch.

I guess it pays to shop around, even in the smaller markets.

I want to thank everyone who answered this post. I took into consideration everything you guys said and ended up getting a yamaha 450 eps (with a winch and snow plow and 2 years extended warranty thrown in) from the dealer in Ear Falls .

by the way, i got a call from the polsris dealer today and he was going to sell me the polaris for 1100 more than i paid for the yamaha. he was going to charge me for the plow and winch.

NICE! you'll be very glad that you didnt get a popo.

I've had a Polaris 500 X2 (two seater machine) for three years now. I don't ride it hard and try to take good care of it. It is a tool for working around the yard and plowing all winter. Been very good so far.

i have the same quad.. an 06.... its been awesome over the past couple years... workhorse !

That's the exact ATV that I plan on purchasing next spring....if you don't mind saying..what was the final cost out the door? Just trying to figure out if I should buy from the U.S. or Canada. Congrats on the sweet ride!!!

That's the exact ATV that I plan on purchasing next spring....if you don't mind saying..what was the final cost out the door? Just trying to figure out if I should buy from the U.S. or Canada. Congrats on the sweet ride!!!

i was going to buy new, but its a waste of money buying any new vehicle. i believe hully gully in london was by far the cheapest dealer in ontario for the grizzly 700 to the tune of $2-2500 cheaper than the local dealer :dunno: i'll assume they'd have the best price on a kodiak as well.

i also looked into buying from the US. after all was said and done i would have saved about $2k to get a machine from the US. it would have been delivered to the border where i'd have to get it inspected before bringing it home. there are websites out there that give you step by step instructions on buying from the states along with who you need to contact.

is there a reason you are looking at a smaller machine? with EPS its very easy controlling the full size atv's and i had no problems on tight trails following my buddy on his 450 before he upgraded to a 700. the 700 is only 10 lbs heavier than the 450 as well at 600lbs dry. its also much easier plowing and towing with the more powerful machine.

i know everyone is different, but this year alone 3 of the guys i ride with have upgraded to bigger machines after owning 350's-500's. its cheaper in the long run to get the machine you really want instead of upgrading later.

I'll see how my popo goes with these on

those look like a good all terrain tire that should be good in the mud as well...much like my mud lite xtr radials. what are they?

speaking of tires...i dont think ill ever buy a non radial atv tire again. i have 26" itp mud lite xtr's that came with my machine. they now have about 2500kms on them and there is barely any wear at all which is very impressive considering the amount of time ive spent on old rail trails and paved roads. radials provide much better traction and are very wear resistant.

the next set of rubbers will be 27" outlaw radials...aka THE BEST all terrain tire out there that last even longer than the xtr's i have :thumbsup_anim:

those look like a good all terrain tire that should be good in the mud as well...much like my mud lite xtr radials. what are they?

speaking of tires...i dont think ill ever buy a non radial atv tire again. i have 26" itp mud lite xtr's that came with my machine. they now have about 2500kms on them and there is barely any wear at all which is very impressive considering the amount of time ive spent on old rail trails and paved roads. radials provide much better traction and are very wear resistant.

the next set of rubbers will be 27" outlaw radials...aka THE BEST all terrain tire out there that last even longer than the xtr's i have :thumbsup_anim:

They are 25" Mudgears. Reviews say they are great in the snow and sand and good in the mud, not the best but good and last forever. Seeing as how I need it for sand and snow it seemed like a good choice. Plus they look awesome!

They are 25" Mudgears. Reviews say they are great in the snow and sand and good in the mud, not the best but good and last forever. Seeing as how I need it for sand and snow it seemed like a good choice. Plus they look awesome!

they look like they'll do well. could ya give us a report after you test them out?

it really is difficult to find the best tires for your needs here in ontario as we have pretty much every type of terrain...hard pack trails, clay, swamps, sand, ice, snow, rocks, many different types of mud, etc. there are many tires out there that are made for one or two types of terrain, but finding a happy medium isnt easy.

I have an 05 Polaris Trail Blazer, it's a basic, small, 250 two stroke, simple to fix and service, it's been great, no fixing as of yet (knock on wood) and I am happy with it's performance

I'm also a Yamaha fan, 2 outboards, 1 sled and 1 scooter plus many other Yamaha products in the past (even my guitar is a Yamaha), you made a good choice with the Yamaha, enjoy, post the adventures you and your new Yamaha have