Busted On the French

bigcreekdad

Fishing the Wolesey Bay area Monday thru mid day today. Casting all day, every day. Result....one juvenile (28") muskie. Never, and I mean never, have I experienced such poor fishing. Besides the small muskie caught , I had a one follow from a similar sized fish....pike or muskie. Other than that, no strikes or folllows....not even small pike. WEather was probably way too nice, but the lack of even small pike activity was astonisihing.

Anyone else up that way?

I've been fishing the French for the last 15 years, it's a shame to see what has happened to the fishery, I think it's toomany people from the lodges, cottages and locals keeping all the walleye, bass and pike that are half decent, just too much pressure

I was up that way the first two weeks of September - with bieng at Wolseley from the 19th to the 25th. From the report I had posted, I had one on, another some after the lure (missed it) and had another follow. Seems the Double Cowgirls were the trick at that time, as another guy in camp landed 6 that week, all in the bay itself. That was the only lure he would get any action on. I know what you mean - I caught only 4 fish the entire two weeks and they were all small pike. Usually we can get a lot more than that.

Yes, I was up in Wolesley at Bryers Lodge the first week of July. One small muskie, one small pike and 3 missed explosions on a top water Pop R. Got a few other RockBass and had a large small mouth look over the Pop R down behind Lockhaven but that was it.

Bill

Yes, I was up in Wolesley at Bryers Lodge the first week of July. One small muskie, one small pike and 3 missed explosions on a top water Pop R. Got a few other RockBass and had a large small mouth look over the Pop R down behind Lockhaven but that was it.

Bill

I also decided not to go to the French this year after catching very few fish. We decided to go to the BOQ in the spring and caught a ton of fish. Not the same scenery, but now that I've been to the French a few times, it was time to move on.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who works at a tackle shop about the French earlier this year. He said the main problem with the French is that 7/10 people who came into the shop saying they were heading up to Georgian Bay were fishing the French River. Just TOO much pressure.

As a kid, over 40 years ago, there were a lot more people fishing.

Tourists were everywhere, fishing lodges were always full. Yet the fishing remained excellent.

About 10 years ago or so, something changed, I will let you figure out what.

Now the fishing here is dismal in comparison.

And don't believe what the so called expert reports say. It's a crock of baloney.

If the present trend continues the fishery will be over for everyone on the lake.

As a kid, over 40 years ago, there were a lot more people fishing.

Tourists were everywhere, fishing lodges were always full. Yet the fishing remained excellent.

About 10 years ago or so, something changed, I will let you figure out what.

Now the fishing here is dismal in comparison.

And don't believe what the so called expert reports say. It's a crock of baloney.

If the present trend continues the fishery will be over for everyone on the lake.

Bernie

What happened 10 years ago?

I started fishing the French in the early 90's.....at that time the upper FRench out of Casa Blanca Lodge. Used to take my sons up in June, and we always caught walleye. Satchels Bay in particular would yield many of them up to 7-8 pounds. Sometime in late 90's the walleye fishing took a nosedive. I hve no idea why, other than locals would tell me the Indians would take them over quantity limit and out of season. I fish out of Crane's now, in the section below Chaudiere dam. I don't even fish for walleye specifically anymore. I was at Crane's 3 times this summer and caught 2. I have heard from regulars who fish that section of river that the Indians net walleye below the dams during spawning season. That certainly has to have a significant effect.

In any case, Bernie .....share your thoughts.

OK, until this point I have remained somewhat silent about the Nipissing debacle.

I pretty much live on the lake on an island here and have done so for 53 years. I pay attention to what goes on. I don't fish as much as it is so frustrating now.

Sorry to upset anyone but the truth needs to be heard at some point.

Nipissing has a fairly large surface area(873.3 km2). While most of this area can harbor fish of most species, pickerel stay mostly in areas of feed, rocky shoals, sandbars and weed beds. These are the areas where the fish are easy to target, especially with the use of modern equipment such as sonar and GPS. Yes, sometimes you see reports of a member here doing well, but believe me, there was a time when it was easy to do, even without the use of fancy gear. Just go to your favorite spot and catch dinner.

The lake has had fisherman on it for over a century and the numbers have been sustained for a good many of them.

In recent years ice fishing has seen a significant increase in the numbers of fish huts located on these areas. But this has taken place after the most significant decline in fish numbers (according to me and my experience, not on the "experts").

Summertime fishing is a mere fraction of it's past. Even on long weekends on the main lake you have to look hard for another

boat.

There was a time that netting did not take place at the south end of the lake as it was too far to travel and there were enough fish to sustain the small amount of nets that were used near the reserve.

But an increase of nets soon brought the French River fish population down and they soon started in other areas.

Netting is usually done at night.

Treaties were made in a time of no motorized equipment and technologies. Why if times have changed can we also not change the context in which these agreements were made?

They have a person who "looks after" fish populations and they report all is well. This person is paid by the natives? Fox in charge of the henhouse the old saying goes.

What really gets me is each Spring, the natives have a "moratorium" and stop netting for a couple weeks. Thing is, the ice is breaking up and it is difficult or impossible to net anyway, but it creates a feel good story in the local newspaper.

Netting in oceans is depleting populations there, how can we reasonably expect that a small freshwater lake can sustain it?

Ok, you asked for it, there it is in a nutshell.

OK, until this point I have remained somewhat silent about the Nipissing debacle.

I pretty much live on the lake on an island here and have done so for 53 years. I pay attention to what goes on. I don't fish as much as it is so frustrating now.

Nipissing has a fairly large surface area(873.3 km2). While most of this area can harbor fish of most species, pickerel stay mostly in areas of feed, rocky shoals, sandbars and weed beds. These are the areas where the fish are easy to target, especially with the use of modern equipment such as sonar and GPS. Yes, sometimes you see reports of a member here doing well, but believe me, there was a time when it was easy to do, even without the use of fancy gear. Just go to your favorite spot and catch dinner.

The lake has had fisherman on it for over a century and the numbers have been sustained for a good many of them.

In recent years ice fishing has seen a significant increase in the numbers of fish huts located on these areas. But this has taken place after the most significant decline in fish numbers (according to me and my experience, not on the "experts").

Summertime fishing is a mere fraction of it's past. Even on long weekends on the main lake you have to look hard for another

boat.

There was a time that netting did not take place at the south end of the lake as it was too far to travel and there were enough fish to sustain the small amount of nets that were used near the reserve.

But an increase of nets soon brought the French River fish population down and they soon started in other areas.

Treaties were made in a time of no motorized equipment and technologies. Why if times have changed can we also not change the context in which these agreements were made?

They have a person who "looks after" fish populations and they report all is well. This person is paid by the natives? Fox in charge of the henhouse the old saying goes.

What really gets me is each Spring, the natives have a "moratorium" and stop netting for a couple weeks. Thing is, the ice is breaking up and it is difficult or impossible to net anyway, but it creates a feel good story in the local newspaper.

Netting in oceans is depleting populations there, how can we reasonably expect that a small freshwater lake can sustain it?

Unfortunately, that makes sense.......and is a damn shame!

I've always heard the stories about netting. Most guides I've taken on the French have said there is netting by natives. It is sad and repulsive !

What voice do we have ?

If the owners of these million dollar lodges and resorts all along the French can't petition politicians to stop netting, what chance do individual fisherman have ? The resort owners have a lot more to lose financially than any individual fisherman. Why isn't more done on that end ?

The resort owners have told me the French is stocked every year. The skeptic in me doubts that very much.

Last year I stayed on the Hwy 69 to crooked rapids section of the French. I asked ahead of time if we could fish for walleye. He told me walleye are very hard to find...almost like an extinct species !!

I've done ok personally with a lot fewer walleye, as I love the scenary so much. How much longer will I go and not catch as many fish...still to be determined...

Fished Wolesley the middle of July and had no problem catching fish. We, however, did not target walleye but were happy with multiple takes of large/smallmouth bass, perch and pike. We were able to raise a few muskie but, unfortunately, no takers. Water levels were down approx. 5-6 feet and the rice beds were non existent but tourny size largies were taken from under boat docks and weed shores in the main bay. Smallies were abundant wherever we found weed/sand/rock breaks. All our fish were released. 20 to 30 fish days were common. Though we had success we do believe the mentioned netting and seeing a trend where virtually every fish caught was kept have contributeed to dwindling fish hook ups.

The resort owners have told me the French is stocked every year. The skeptic in me doubts that very much.

Yes, I have also heard there are some cottage owners financing to have the French River stocked with walleye and I have to wonder...WHY....so the Indians can net even more....what a waste of resources.

I just got back from Dry Pine on Sat. We went with six guys/three boats. One boat dedicated to musky, other two were chasing walleye and bass. 3 walleye were caught and a mixed bag of pike and bass. The musky boat caught 2 pike, both smaller than 30 inches. I've been going to the French for 6 years running now, summer and fall, and have NEVER had it as slow as this. I don't think i will be back, even though i have caught pb fish of all species there. On a side note, not sure if it means anything, there was a blue-green algae bloom when we were there, not sure if that affected the fishing at all.

K.S.

what you were seeing is turnover.

with water levels being what they were this year, you had to adapt or catch nothing. i did fine. sure, netting is a great scapegoat but it's altogether false -- makes a great excuse though. if anything, the fishing has improved with the slots in the last decade.

with water levels being what they were this year, you had to adapt or catch nothing. i did fine. sure, netting is a great scapegoat but it's altogether false -- makes a great excuse though. if anything, the fishing has improved with the slots in the last decade.

lol well aren't you proud of yourself

Give us your insight....explain what you mean by adapt. I'm not trying to be a smartass, just intersted in your thoughts/ Also, I'm familiar with turnover, but water temps ranged from 57-61 degrees, so I don't think turnover had taken place yet.Thanks/

Edited by bigcreekdad

boat.

I live in the West Nipissing area and they are even netting the small lakes in the Marten River area we have to all get together and do something soon they are killing our fisheries !! sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif