Busted On the French

bigcreekdad

No, no turnover.

Not a lot of fish to speak of either.

If there were as many in the French as there used to be why would they travel many miles to get them now?

Sorry Raf, honestly wish you were correct in your judgment...but you are not.

That water is tough if you're going there for the first time or if you have't spent a ton of time trying to learn it. We do okay, some years better than others. The slot is definitely putting bigger fish in the boat. There are areas where I fish that consistently produce a daily limit of walleyes. However, some days are just slow. We move on to target other fish and the smallies and largemouth aren't tough to find when the walleye bite is slow.

The problem as I see it, is that native tribes used to be somewhat migratory in nature in that they would hunt/gather/fish/live in areas where the animals were. In a land as vast as Canada is, this would allow one area to be depleted, then moved out of, then that depleted area regenerates. This of course would happen over hundreds of years. Since this is no longer the case. Specific areas are being decimated.

Of course I could be totally wrong. As for Natives not taking more than what natures balance allows, thats a load of crock to anyone that choose to believe that horsewash. I have been approached many times by natives to buy pickeral by the bushel. Every one with sprear and or net marks on them.

It would be nice to believe that everything is in balance but the reality is far too much fishing is being done in certain presured areas.

Eventually what will happen is people will need ot apply for a fish tag similar to a deer tag. You want to fish? everything will be catch and release. You want to keep one you need to buy a tag for that species.

I don't know what will happen or what the answer is, and neither do any of you. Most certainly though almost every lake and stream has fewer fish in it than ever before. Even for species that are generally not kept by the every day fisherman, like Bass.

One thing I have always thought that would be a good idea. Is to have an insentive program for those that want to help rebuild fishing areas. Open up privatly funded Fish restocking programs, and allow people to donate to them and give them a free fishing license. EG, you can buy a nomral fishing license from the Gov't or you can give 50 dollars to XYZ corp BoQ restocking programme and you get your license that way. This would be a good way to get people to be putting back to the area and the species they prefer to fish. I dunno though, but the current setup doesn't seem all that effective. I would think lower or 0 limits are on there way much sooner than what people think.

One thing I have always thought that would be a good idea. Is to have an insentive program for those that want to help rebuild fishing areas. Open up privatly funded Fish restocking programs, and allow people to donate to them and give them a free fishing license. EG, you can buy a nomral fishing license from the Gov't or you can give 50 dollars to XYZ corp BoQ restocking programme and you get your license that way. This would be a good way to get people to be putting back to the area and the species they prefer to fish. I dunno though, but the current setup doesn't seem all that effective. I would think lower or 0 limits are on there way much sooner than what people think.

The problem is NOT those who are fishing with a rod & reel but those who are fishing with nets...... :whistling:

Whenever I see stories about fishing is never used to be as good as it was back then, I can't emphasize enough that instead of putting the blame on the fishermen, I would say put the blame on the lodges. After all, they are promoting photos of people catching walleyes, pikes, and bass (often getting kids to pose beside them) on stringers.... in addition the lodges often have cleaning huts/facilities to clean what you caught. Imagine the impact that would have on potential fishermen to fish up there and keep what they catch.

As a result I've heard poachers who keep all walleyes even those not on the slot size and they don't really give a damn because all they want is to fish, smoke weed, drink beer, and have a good time. That is really sad, because they are keeping fish more than they need for that day's dinner.

Its really something to sit here and read all these different opinions. Blame it on the natives, blame it on the weather, blame the guys that keep every fish they catch. Bottom line is that playing the blame game does nothing. To me, the problem/ solution is very obvious. If fish aren't given a chance to spawn, the population will dwindle. Make sure every generation gets a chance to spawn. The big fish will be tough to find. But as long as there's young mature fish in the system, there will be babies. Get rid of the slot. Convince the people netting fish to use bigger mesh and allow smaller fish to live a year or two longer before being harvested. My two cents.

I have only been here 4 years, in that time the fishing seems to be getting worse, the weather hasn't been great aside from this year, and this year the water has been low so who knows if that has had an impact. One thing is certain, this time frame coincides with commercial fishing on the lake on a larger scale then what had been happening. I know this is hard to accept for some of you, but netting a pile of fish out of a lake, including a large by catch that is wasted, tends to mean that there will be fewer fish in the lake. I know, It's a difficult concept for some.

There are numerous problems mentioned in the previous posts, and they all have an impact of some kind. The nets are obviously a very significant part of the problem. But it's not the only issue. I've had friends tell me of fellows I know going up and completely ignoring the slot. Enforcement is minimal (not the COs fault) and they get away with it. I've heard of Americans going up to the French and returning home with coolers full of fish year after year. You can't tell me the lodge owner doesn't sometimes know this is happening.

I work with a guy whose has fished for years and considers himself a sportsman. He was talking about bringing home a cooler of fish when he was on a trip with only a few guys. I mentioned how this was posible with poss'n limits. He said that he and his buddies were each allowed to catch and keep 6 fish for every day they were on the lake and so that's what they did, thus the cooler full of fish. I couldn't believe it! I told him that's not how it worked and he claimed ignorance. Funny how we don't talk about fishing anymore.

The real issue to me is that no one wants to take responsibility being part of the solution. The guys ignoring the slot may say it's OK because the natives would net the fish anyway. The guys ignoring the limits would blame somebody/something else in an attempt to justify their own actions. I'm afraid it's human nature to justify your own actions because of someone elses behaviour. As far as solutions, I think it all starts with the individual fisherman deciding to do the right thing all the time. After that, I don't know. Just so many stakeholders with conflicting interests, and so political as well. Not encouraging. My 2 cents. Andy

I used to fish the nip 20-30 years ago and we had no trouble catching fish,some days they were practically jumping in the boat,the areas we fished always had nets in the water.

I don`t know if the natives are the problem but I can say this if native netting is the cause of dwindling fish stock then tough luck for everybody because there is not a politician around with the stones to stand up to the natives we all have seen many examples of that.

There are numerous problems mentioned in the previous posts, and they all have an impact of some kind. The nets are obviously a very significant part of the problem. But it's not the only issue. I've had friends tell me of fellows I know going up and completely ignoring the slot. Enforcement is minimal (not the COs fault) and they get away with it. I've heard of Americans going up to the French and returning home with coolers full of fish year after year. You can't tell me the lodge owner doesn't sometimes know this is happening.

I work with a guy whose has fished for years and considers himself a sportsman. He was talking about bringing home a cooler of fish when he was on a trip with only a few guys. I mentioned how this was posible with poss'n limits. He said that he and his buddies were each allowed to catch and keep 6 fish for every day they were on the lake and so that's what they did, thus the cooler full of fish. I couldn't believe it! I told him that's not how it worked and he claimed ignorance. Funny how we don't talk about fishing anymore.

The real issue to me is that no one wants to take responsibility being part of the solution. The guys ignoring the slot may say it's OK because the natives would net the fish anyway. The guys ignoring the limits would blame somebody/something else in an attempt to justify their own actions. I'm afraid it's human nature to justify your own actions because of someone elses behaviour. As far as solutions, I think it all starts with the individual fisherman deciding to do the right thing all the time. After that, I don't know. Just so many stakeholders with conflicting interests, and so political as well. Not encouraging. My 2 cents. Andy

Andy, I know you intentions are good here but most if not all is all hearsay. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see and nobody will make a fool out of you.

With that said, you seem very concerned with the sportsman slot limit on the walleyes....now that is a joke.... think about it. You and me are out fishing on the Big Nip for walleyes and all we catch is slot fish so we continue to release said fish. Some are injured but still returned to the water. Some will die and be wasted unless you are cormorant or sea gull. The rest very well may be caught in the native's gill nets and be sold for profit. But you and I have nothing to show for a family dinner at the end of the weekend unless on the way home we purchase some from the natives which may be the very fish we let go. So instead of keeping say 4 fish each we may have killed many more than that and they were eaten by the birds while the natives pounced on every walleye they could gather for $$$$$ with NO CONCERN of the fishery.

It the train of thought by the powers to be (Ontario Fisheries) is that a lot limit is a MUST to maintain or improve fishing on the Big Nip by sportsmen who are very limited to fishing with one rod/reel, then how can the same powers to be allow every walleye to be netted for a profit.

BELIEVE ME, it's not the sportsman's fault that the walleye fishing on the Big Nip is at a all time low and may even be near collapsing. A lake of that size should NOT be gill netted for commercial use. The same thing happened to Lake Erie with the Blue Pike (now extinct) and almost with the walleye until all gill netters on the USA side were bought out and banned. Now Lake Erie is one of the best walleye fisheries in the world.

Bob

Bob

Solutions:

1. Pay the natives the amount of money they would get for netting fish and have them stop netting. (How much could that be per year $10,000 $20,000 $50,000 $100,000) Money should come from resort owners and fishermann.

2. Have a CO on each section of the French enforcing slots, limits etc...(Most fisherman and not meat keepers would welcome seeing a CO on the French...I've yet to see one since 1990. Again the $50k - $70k salary would have to come from resort owners or special licence to fish the french.

Would you not pay an extra $50 - $100/week dollars to fish the French knowing the nets were gone and the fishery was protected and enforced ? I would.

I know it's dillusional and a pipe dream but I would like to see it happen !!

This topic is not amount Nip or even the Upper French. The OP was talking about the river below the dams. To the best of my knowledge there is only one area where netting takes place and it only occurs during the early spring.

what you were seeing is turnover.

with water levels being what they were this year, you had to adapt or catch nothing. i did fine. sure, netting is a great scapegoat but it's altogether false -- makes a great excuse though. if anything, the fishing has improved with the slots in the last decade.

i wasn't aware that turnover is "toxic"

see link

http://www.sdhu.com/content/news/details.asp?n=941

every time i fish the french the water level is different, so each time i have to "adapt" to different fishing conditions.

I find the fish move in the French more so than other systems i've fished and thus harder to pattern them, but every year, it seems to get tougher and tougher to get good numbers, where as in other systems, the more experience i get, the more fish i put in the boat. Its getting harder to make the decision to go back as the scenery is so beautiful!!

I believe that netting DOES reduce fish numbers, even if done only once in the spring...

This topic is not amount Nip or even the Upper French. The OP was talking about the river below the dams. To the best of my knowledge there is only one area where netting takes place and it only occurs during the early spring.

Actually that is the WORST time to be netting fish especially walleye. This can and will hurt any fishery.

Solutions:

1. Pay the natives the amount of money they would get for netting fish and have them stop netting. (How much could that be per year $10,000 $20,000 $50,000 $100,000) Money should come from resort owners and fishermann.

2. Have a CO on each section of the French enforcing slots, limits etc...(Most fisherman and not meat keepers would welcome seeing a CO on the French...I've yet to see one since 1990. Again the $50k - $70k salary would have to come from resort owners or special licence to fish the french.

Would you not pay an extra $50 - $100/week dollars to fish the French knowing the nets were gone and the fishery was protected and enforced ? I would.

I know it's dillusional and a pipe dream but I would like to see it happen !!

BL, actually this is a EXCELLENT idea and it's basically how the gill netters were bought out in NYS....we had a special $3 stamp to fish Lake Erie and it was to be for only 3 years. HOWEVER, it was such a big success that after only 2 years the stamp was no longer required to fish Lake Erie.

Bob

Andy, I know you intentions are good here but most if not all is all hearsay. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see and nobody will make a fool out of you.

With that said, you seem very concerned with the sportsman slot limit on the walleyes....now that is a joke.... think about it. You and me are out fishing on the Big Nip for walleyes and all we catch is slot fish so we continue to release said fish. Some are injured but still returned to the water. Some will die and be wasted unless you are cormorant or sea gull. The rest very well may be caught in the native's gill nets and be sold for profit. But you and I have nothing to show for a family dinner at the end of the weekend unless on the way home we purchase some from the natives which may be the very fish we let go. So instead of keeping say 4 fish each we may have killed many more than that and they were eaten by the birds while the natives pounced on every walleye they could gather for $$$$$ with NO CONCERN of the fishery.

It the train of thought by the powers to be (Ontario Fisheries) is that a lot limit is a MUST to maintain or improve fishing on the Big Nip by sportsmen who are very limited to fishing with one rod/reel, then how can the same powers to be allow every walleye to be netted for a profit.

BELIEVE ME, it's not the sportsman's fault that the walleye fishing on the Big Nip is at a all time low and may even be near collapsing. A lake of that size should NOT be gill netted for commercial use. The same thing happened to Lake Erie with the Blue Pike (now extinct) and almost with the walleye until all gill netters on the USA side were bought out and banned. Now Lake Erie is one of the best walleye fisheries in the world.

Bob

Bob

Wow. I don't know where to start, so I won't. I'm out. Peace everyone. Andy

I'm the OP, and I have seen nets as late as September before you head up to the Chaidiere dams. My post was not specifically about walleye, as I seldom fish for them. I was more astounded at the lack of any fish activity during.....pike, muskie, bass, and walleye.

Lets not forget that the French River is exactly that (a river)and not a lake and is unpredictable and more sensitive to water levels, and temperature and climate changes.The dams also have a big effect on the water levels. The water is always on the move and so are the fish .

Lets not forget that the French River is exactly that (a river)and not a lake and is unpredictable and more sensitive to water levels, and temperature and climate changes.The dams also have a big effect on the water levels. The water is always on the move and so are the fish .

Actually rivers are much less affected by cold front conditions when it comes to fishing. However, most of the French River is more lake like then any traditional type river.

It's kinda funny that the Natives are the only ones putting up $$$$$$$ to study the populations,set Quotas and higher fishery biologists to manage the fishery.In fact the natives seem to be the only ones who are actually doing anything for the fishery and not sitting on there bums playing a blame game.The tourist operators have rapped the lake for 50+ yrs with out putting anything back accept alot of tears and name calling,if there so concerned for the fishery perhaps instead of crying it's time they step up.

Edited by canadadude