Survival suits for the un-tall

lew

I went as far as phoning Mustang customer service in British Columbia yesterday afternoon and she said there are no suits made in shorter versions.

Seems strange that nobody makes them when so many folks are looking for them. Even the ladies extra small suit comes with a 29" leg.

last fall I bought a 2 piece and I have never been warmer or more comfortable

only the jacket is flotation and bib pants don't float

Terry, the 2 piece suit may be an option for me and with the amount of time you spend on the ice they must work well. Did you get the insulated bib pants to go with the jacket ??

And also, where did you buy your suit ??

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and my search will continue, and thanks for the offer on your old suit Garry.

That sounds good Terry, I think I'll look into something like that. I've already got waterproof insulated pants but would prefer the bibs.

I was in CTC in P'Boro the other day and they didn't have any floater coats so I'll make a few phone calls today.

Have you looked at the Helly Hansen suits Lew?

Don't know what these dudes have in stock.

SPORT MART #102

C2-950 LANDSDOWNE ST WEST peterborough, ON K9J 1Z5 Canada Telephone: 705-749-5895 Lat/Lon:44.26935180000000000, -78.39834500000000000

SPORT CHECK

Unit #L019A, 645 Lansdowne Street West peterborough, ON K9J 7Y5

Thanks for taking the time Roy, I haven't checked the HH suits but I'll see if there's anything around here. I'll also call those 2 places on Lansdown but I think their more into jogging & running types of things.

I just had a look at LeB's website and they carry a couple different Mustang coats so it may be time for a drive.

I'm not into ice fishing but we fish the softwater right up until Dec. 15th

Hey Lew,

Take a look, as some have mentioned, at buying a floater jacket and getting the bib pants separately. I have a Mustang Bomber jacket and Boy o Bouy bib pants... all were gotten from Cabella's... I use the jacket year round as my floatation and only use the pants during cold weather.

You should be able to find pants that fit you. I really like the two piece system as it allows for free and easy movement and I don't find it cold in any way.

According to the Mustang site, if memory doesn't fail me, the two piece system doesn't really limit the effectiveness of a one piece suit.

HH

Morning Lew

I know you are big on life safety, the only recomendation I can give you is SALUS its a bit more money but in my opinion far superior to all out there. I have an odessey class it is fully adjustible for length of arm and leg it has built in weight support parts to prevent fulshing and is ventable and damn near bullet proof I have tried alot of suits and considering I like to fish alone alot I would trust my life with nothing less. If I had the money right now I would buy another and store it. Very comfortable to fish in.

You may need to make a trip to Waterloo to size one up but its worth the trip to see where it is made.

Just my 2 cents

Peter

As Cram mentioned give Salus a serious look . I bought one of their suits last year and very happy with it . I am 5'9" and 210 lbs

Lew

I stopped into the hook and bow here while I was out.They had a med and large. Asking 350.Looks like a pretty good suit.

Mine fits surprisingly well, especially considering my petite frame...

here's my brother in my suit... he's 6'0, 220...

DSCF0062.jpg

that's a 3xl... probably a tad big for ya Lew

i bought it in 05, when i was "skinny" then met my wife which added around 80lbs to me and it still fits...

IMG_5315Large.jpg

very happy with my Nautilus NFS1000 suit :thumbsup_anim:

I have to second all the comments about Salus. IMO they are by far the best floaters on the market. Life vests too. Canadian made to boot.

I'm 5'11" 220.. I picked up a Salus Endurance last season, and am way beyond happy with it.. The leg length is fully adjustable.

Hey Goran, there's probably enuff room in your suit for both me AND your brother :lol::lol:

After much deliberation I've decided I don't want to spend several hundred $$$$ for a suit that won't fit, so I've taken the advice of several of our members and am gonna go with the Mustang Integrity jacket and get bib pants to go with them.

Seems like lotsa good features to this coat, including the soft material in the collar and pit zips for ventilation.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

MC1525large185.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

I just got back from sweating my lowers off, tried on a few suits and broke the bank, settled for the Helly Hansen Alpha 1 float suit in extra large, fit really well, only issue was the hood has to be out ,not rolled up in the collar, I cant stand the thick collar that wont fold down, felt like someone was pushing on the back of my head, little expensive, but the delta 1 and delta 2 and the other one didnt fit like this one.Piss zipper,suspenders,pockets sold me.

good luck lew, but I'd have to say try one on, Iam 5'10-5'11,225 ok maybe 235! Fit well.

Cheers

This Alpha 1 suit sounds like the one I want. I am also 5'9-5'10 220+ lbs. Does BPS or lebaron carry them?