9.9hp Motors

MCTFisher9120

Hello again OFC, hope everybody has been catching more fish than I have been. Haven't been out in a few weeks for any fishing...got to handle lot's last week during my Fall Field Camp on Sturgeon but it's just not the same!!

Anyway, Dad and I are up for a 9.9hp motor for our 12' boat. I know it might be a small boat but hey in my eye's I'll always need and use a small boat, northern Ontario trips,back lake camping, or for the next few years while I'm still in school this boat will stay in our family for a long time. We have decided on getting a 9.9hp 4 stroke outboard. A clean, quiet, fuel efficient NEW motor.

Here are a few options I have looked at. And of course prices will change when dealers offer specials and rebates. My main question is what brand...I've looked into Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki motors and all are priced in the same range.

Here is my little research chart on the different weights with these motors with the prices(except Mercury, stupid site doesn't have one price on it...not very helpful but if somebody can fill in the blank for me it would be appreciated)

Honda 9.9hp 4 Stroke

Short Shaft

Manual Start

$2999MSRP

92lbs

Mercury 9.9hp 4 Stroke

Manual Start

Short Shaft

Cost______

83lbs

Yamaha 9.9hp 4 Stroke

Manual Start

Short Shaft

$3157

91lbs

Suzuki 9.9hp 4 Stroke

Manual Start

Short Shaft

Cost_____

95lbs

Well there is what I dug up. In all honestly a Mercury or Yamaha seems to be the best option but I don't want to count out the other two. Looking to hear some stories of customer support, motor servicing at dealerships etc...Just a little insight before getting a boat motor.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

My work has gradually switched over to the yamaha outboards. we have a 4hp, a bunch of 8-15hp, and a few 25-30hp, and they are all phenomenal motors. We put them through hell running the rivers and we've had very few problems. The only downside I saw of these (and all 4strokes in general) is that they don't idle down nicely like the 2 strokes. BUT, other than that, I know my next motor will be a yammy (presently I own an early 90's Merc.

I have a 2006 mercury 115 4 stroke. 5 seasons of pure bliss. Not 1 problem. I have a 2003 mercury 9.9 kicker. The same. From what I can tell you can not go wrong with any of the manufacturers. They all seem to make a solid motor. Honda's seem a bit heavy though. I would not count out a 2 stroke either.

Good luck

Edited by Grimace

I think you'll find most people happy with whatever brand they own. That's a good thing, means they're all pretty good - buy the one you get the best deal on and can service without hassle near you.

Until you start moving up to bigger motors (25-30+), I'd be looking at a 2 stroke if I were you. 1) It'll be cheaper, 2) It'll be lighter - might be a big deal on a 12'. Modern 2 strokes are pretty darn efficient and clean, the difference between one and a 4-str will be negligable in that size.

Buy a brand that you can get parts for. Oil filters and a repair shop nearby.

Other then that i would get one that will charge a battery. You might be able to save a few bucks if you can find a good used one.

Good point. Service after the sale is very important. Merc has accomplish this by having the biggest Dealer link in North America. Majority of Marina's are Merc dealers and service centers.

Until you start moving up to bigger motors (25-30+), I'd be looking at a 2 stroke if I were you. 1) It'll be cheaper, 2) It'll be lighter - might be a big deal on a 12'. Modern 2 strokes are pretty darn efficient and clean, the difference between one and a 4-str will be negligable in that size.

That's why I have a 2 stroke. Some of my fav spots I have to haul the boat and motor into because there is no launch, and the 4 stoke is much heavier.

Your not going to spend much in a season on fuel for a 9.9 regardless if it is a 2 or a 4.

I'd go with a Honda or Yamaha. Merc would be a close 3rd choice. That's just personal preference.

I don't think you can really go wrong with a small motor like that. Like others mentioned warranty and local parts is a big plus.

If the 12 can hold a 15hp I would consider that though. Same weight and don't you have a casting deck etc on it as well? Might like that extra power if it has a deck and a couple of big guys in there.

Guest gbfisher

Have had many different types of motors from seahorse to Merc. I ended up with two 4 stroke Yammy's one of which is a 9.9.

I have heard about and seen issues with larger Mercs, etecs, Johnsons. I havent seen or heard of any with Yamaha.

Different strokes for different folks they say. Hope yer happy with what you decide on.

Then there's Honda. :)

Mike, my Honda 8HP 4-stroke is great. It also has an alternator built in so I run a cable to my batt. for the fish finder and it charges it as long as the motor is running. Mine is over 12 years old and is still going very strong. I would get a used Honda any day! In fact, I think I had seen one in the classified here not that long ago...

Edited by GBW

I would also seriously consider a 2 stroker for that small boat....not only weight wise (which is important) but also power wise....on my last fly-in trip to Ivanhoe the owner told me he sold all his 1 year old 4 stroker 9 hp Yammies and replaced them with 2 strokers because of all the complaints from clients that they were having planing out. AND you can save some money to boot.

GOOD LUCK,

Bob

BTW if you are near any fishing camps / cottages that replace their outboards every year or so maybe you can snag a nice deal.

2-Strokes are still good outboards. But are becoming dinosaur motors. Merc has stopped production back in 2009 for conventional 2-strokes they still make the opti cause it's compliant to California emissions. Buying a 2 Stroke is like going back in time. Pollution, noisy, Smokey mixing and carbon build up. It is nice to be able to troll without raising your voice, smelling smoke and oil in the water. Doing 1 oil change a year and straight gas fill up is a Plus in my Book. Doesn't matter what brand you go with they are all great outboards. Personal preference is what it comes down to GM, Dodge, Import etc...

Edited by Henry Nguyen

With how light the 4 strokes are becoming I wouldn't even consider a 2 stroke anymore.

I believe the smaller Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu.

Completely agree - unless you plan to load it in and out of float planes on a daily basis, I would not even consider a two-stroke now. There's just no good reason to cling to 1950s technology any more.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

With how light the 4 strokes are becoming I wouldn't even consider a 2 stroke anymore.

I believe the smaller Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu.

Completely agree - unless you plan to load it in and out of float planes on a daily basis, I would not even consider a two-stroke now. There's just no good reason to cling to 1950s technology any more.

:clapping: