Attawapiskat River 2010

Skud

Well I was able to convince my dad to head up to the high north again for some fishing adventures. I also had to convince my wife since I was up there during our 18th wedding anniversary. My good friend Nathan also joined us. It was his first fly-in experience. Here we are at the airport itching to go.

1Waiting.jpg

Our weeks weather was very much like the week before for the other group of OFC'ers that proceeded us. Cold, windy and rainy without let up. My emergency cold weather clothes became my full time clothes and having the wood stove going through the night was a must. Pike fishing was slow for several days except for the ever eager hammer handles willing to entertain us. Fortunately for us Josh(Bluesky 1713) gave us a tip regarding the walleye bite before he jumped on the plane and flew out. Look for a 9ft hole in Junction bay to find walleye he said. That tip gave us many hours of enjoyment and full bellies during the week. Regardless of the weather there was consistent action on jigs and casting bodybaits. Average size was between 16 to 19 inches with a few dozen caught between 20 to 24 inches.

Nathan's 22"

236.jpg

A 25" for me

3Wally25.jpg

Dinner!

4Dinner.jpg

A side task for myself was to see if I could get a Bear. Getting a bear rug for my wife for our anniversary was one of the deals I had to try to fulfill to make her happy. Eddie and I set up a bait site and I rigged up my trail cam. The first few days had only some smaller critters show up.

Red squirrel

7Red.jpg

A Fisher in the tree

6Fisher.jpg

My Dad and I

5Us.jpg

But eventually the target species turned up

8Bear.jpg

8Bear2.jpg

During the worst weather we had to settle on other activity's. I brought up a Dart board and several sets of darts and we set it up in the main lodge as a permanent fixture for all to enjoy.

Darts.jpg

Playing cards also killed some time

Cards.jpg

As well as sleep(Eddie's friend Harry)

Sleep.jpg

We also helped Eddie out around camp fixing things up and building a platform for a future Cabin

Work.jpg

By Wednesday the bad weather started to let up leading into a good afternoon. It started with this

11Rainbow.jpg

Then it started looking like this

12Clearing.jpg

That was enough to wake up Mr. Pike. I finally managed to get my first decent pike for the week by catching this 36".

13Bighead.jpg

As the sun went down below the treetops my Dad shows me up by hooking into this Leviathan.

14Beast.jpg

What a way to end the day

15Nightfall.jpg

The next Day we woke to a beautiful site. Clear skies

16Morning.jpg

My Dad wouldn't wait for us

17Ready.jpg

We started off by getting into low 30" fish.

18Pike.jpg

I then got into a great run of catching some beauties between 36"-38"

2036.jpg

22Caribou37.jpg

19Skinny.jpg

21365.jpg

Then I finally got into a 41.5"

23Caribou415.jpg

It even got warm enough for just a t-shirt

24Tshirt.jpg

25Sky.jpg

The bite died down for the pike so we headed back to the Walleye hole for the last bite

26Walleye.jpg

My Dad then shows us up again by nailing this whopper. 29 1/4 inches

27Wally29.jpg

It inspired Nathan to try harder

28Eager.jpg

Another beautiful sunset

29DaysEnd.jpg

Back at the Bear bait the trail camera revealed that the bear was visiting during the daylight hours.

30Bear.jpg

30Bear2.jpg

It was time for me to take to the treestand. Here was my view

30Stand.jpg

While I was up there I took some pictures of the local woodland creatures

Red Squirrel

31Red.jpg

Fisher

32Fisher.jpg

Then Mr. Bear showed up

33Bear.jpg

This bear was a young male, 2-3 years old. Not the trophy I was looking for but it was Friday night with 20 minutes of shooting light left and I wasn't going home without a rug for my wife. I took the shot. Eddie's 300 Win Mag dropped it in it's tracks.

34Down.jpg

We flew out early the next morning trying to beat some more rotten weather moving in. I could have easily waited a few days for it to clear so I could spend more time there but we had to go. After a safe drive home my boys were eager to see my first bear. A few more years and they will be joining me on the Attawapiskat.

35Boys.jpg

Being that the winds were high that last Saturday morning I could not retrieve my Trail cam. Eddie sent these pics that were taken after we flew out. Eddie re-baiting with some peanut butter.

36BearStandEddie.jpg

The visiting peanut butter lover. A young Bald Eagle. There are several pics but this was by far the coolest

37BearStandSpread.jpg

Edited by Skud

Thanks for the comments all. It was fun putting it together.

Mike, that big walleye my Dad caught was on a #11 Minnow Rap in the purpledescent colour. He bought it when you posted about there limited numbers and was using it all week.

Thanks for the comments all. It was fun putting it together.

Mike, that big walleye my Dad caught was on a #11 Minnow Rap in the purpledescent colour. He bought it when you posted about there limited numbers and was using it all week.

What happened to the bag full you bought from Epps? :lol:

It's a deadly lure no doubt.