Driveway By-Laws

I know that there is a by-law in place in Hamilton as well. But there is a huge grey area. Storage is defined as long periods of time. Or for a Season (like winter storage) If the boat is in your driveway during the summer and used on a regular basis I don't think you should be to concerned. There is also a section regarding the out of site out of mind rule. Don't make it a eyesore and keep it back out of view so as to not block neighbors views. Dont bring attention to it being there.

Hope this helps....

P.S. It is a boat after all, invite the neighbor out for a days fishing, include him in the fun and he will have nothing to complain about and you may find a new fishing partner.

Easton

The clerk at your local municipal office should be able to help you out and start you in the right direction of finding the particular by-law.

They are often very hard to find as you never know what title it may be under or if is combined with another by-law.

I bought a house next to a guy who had a boat in his driveway, when I moved in and he saw me back my boat in he came up and shook my hand and said " I like you already" . The neighbours on the other side keep a tent trailer in their driveway so my neighbours have never been an issue.

I think some of you guys need a bigger yard. A place to work on your boat and motor. A place to build a garage to get out of the house for some peace and quiet. A place where you can whip your rod out in the backyard ( casting practice OK ;) ).

The whole thing with bylaws are stupid.

Since its your property and the boat is yours, you should be able to park it wherever you want on your property.

My Gf`s parents had to get rid of 2 dogs because the bylaw people told them that you are only allowed to have 3 dogs per house.

Its people that have nothing better to do then go around and pi** other people off

I know where I live, in Milton, and I think Oakville is the same - you're allowed to park such vehicles in your driveway from May 1 thru to October 31 inclusive. The town can't do a thing however after those dates it's managed by complaint.

Now, if he complains and keeps complaining about your boat in your driveway and you get tickets I can't help but think at which point is your Town/City assisting with him harrassing you? Is it the mandate of the Town/City to willingly and knowingly support what you feel is a form of discrimination (if you're of a visible minority it's better)? At which point does this discriminatory practice become harassment?

Maybe you could also even him out fishing for a day?

Cheers,

Gman

Lived in Burlington and Parked a lot in the Driveway. No-one complained that I know about, and never had an issue. Park in the driveway - and when the By-law office comes around just tell him you brought it home to do a little work on it

I blame the municipalities for not having clearer by-laws. I went searching one day on the web and spent a solid 75 minutes going in circles, back-tracking, and eventually gave up without ever finding out if a) I was allowed to keep a boat in the driveway or B) there were size restrictions to the boat.

I kept my boat there all year and had no complaints, but sometimes the neighbourhood kids would come over while I was cleaning the boat and tell me their fishing stories. Tried to trade lawn cutting and snow shoveling for a fishing trip but these kids are about 7 years old and I might get arrested if I start putting them to work. :)

Charles

I have had a 19 ft boat in my driveway all year for about two years, My neighbour and I don't like each other (Unfriendly jerk). Never got a complaint and im in T.O. I hope he never heard of this law..... If you get a complaint you'll probaby know who called on ya, make that dude's life hell from then on in. That's what I would do.

I like Chuck's comment--except it don't work. I parked my boat in the driveway for a year in thornhill with great looking planters in it--the ugly neighbor next door called markham and sent me a letter--so i squeezed it in the garage---markham says it

's a sore eye for her and she can't see down the road....OK ..now I have a crapper in the flower garden with flowers in it--markham was called --knocked on the door and they started to smile..I said don't tell me she can't see down the road. they said come on be a good neighbour--ok--she can kiss my red a...However one night the crapper got hammered to death--so now the snowmoblies are in the driveway hooked up to the truck--they couldn't say anything as it was hooked---maybe I have something--no complaints since goodluck....hey maybe you have the same ugly neighbour cheers simcoebob

A little off- topic but... it's my understanding that as a home owner you are just that! The Municipality owns the land your house is on, not the home owner! That's how they can take it away from you for a highway or airport etc... You own the structure, not the land.

Now with regard to the posted question, that's a problem I'd like to have! I currently have a mutual drive, which we agree to keep mutually available and I don't have a boat. Most people are fairly easy to get along with. I've found that if you give a bit, you'll get a whole lot back in return.

Take'm fishin, there's always the old "rogue wave" story about how he fell over board when your back was turned!

HH

I blame the municipalities for not having clearer by-laws. I went searching one day on the web and spent a solid 75 minutes going in circles, back-tracking, and eventually gave up without ever finding out if a) I was allowed to keep a boat in the driveway or B) there were size restrictions to the boat.

Charles

I work at the city of Peterborough. I talked to our City clerk today. Peterborough does have a by-law for recreational vehicles (boats, rv's, trailers), the length limit is 25', there is no limit on width.

By-laws are not clear as Charles mentions above, but if you are cooporative with the Clerk or Deputy-Clerk at your municipality, they should be able to give you a by-law number and you can look at it yourself, it would take far too long to find it yourself. As with many other Municipalities, Peterborough's is complaint-driven. You won't get a call or visit from the city unless a complaint is lodged. The by-law is generally enforced by city by-law enforcement officers, but due to downsizing and cut-backs, most Municipalities no longer have dedicated by-law enforcement officers and they rely on the complaint system to narrow-down the offenders.

The restrictions vary greatly from municipality to municipality. Some don't even have a by-law to deal with recreational vehicle parking restrictions. That's why Charles probably didn't find anything.

A little off- topic but... it's my understanding that as a home owner you are just that! The Municipality owns the land your house is on, not the home owner! That's how they can take it away from you for a highway or airport etc... You own the structure, not the land.

HH

This is not true. You own the land your house is built on. The municipality can have an "easement" to allow use of your property to get to municipally owned land or structures (like sanitary sewers for manitenance), but you own the land. I don't even think the municipality can expropriate your land (for purposes of airport/highway/road), I think only the Provincial or Federal Government can do that. Even if the Minicipality wanted to expropriate land from someone it would definitley go to and Ontario Municipal Board hearing, so in the end the Provincial Government would be making the decision anyway. When land is expropriated they must give you fair compensation, they can't just take it, as far as I know. For example, when they were building the 407, I heard of a number of old Farmers that made a killing on getting their land expropriated (or, bought) by the Provincial Government. Something that may happen again when the 407 is extended to Hwy. 115 by 2013.

I think this is off topic...sorry.

I was cleaning the boat and tell me their fishing stories. Tried to trade lawn cutting and snow shoveling for a fishing trip but these kids are about 7 years old and I might get arrested if I start putting them to work.

:lol::lol::lol: Sounds like a fair trade to me, but you might start getting looks like Micheal Jackson with all the kids over at the ranch.

Hey Dutch, not to be argumentative or anything, but your statement does prove my point! Technically you own your land, but if a level of governemnt, provincial or federal, as you stated can appropriate your land for their use, then to my mind, it's only a "paper ownership". Decisions regarding the future of that land are not necessarily the owners.

Here's what I mean;

If I buy a car, I'm considered the owner and noone can tell me where I can drive it. As long as I follow the laws of the road and make my payments, it's mine!

If I buy a house and shortly after the government comes in and tells me they are putting a road through my front lawn, I have to sell... that to me anyway does not constitute "ownership"!

It's fubar as far as I'm concerned... just one of many things that annoy me... sorry for the hijack and absolutely no confrontation intended, I appreciate the info you provided. :Gonefishing:

HH

In Ottawa most of the parks, canal are run by the National Capital Commision

In the east end they expropriated a poor farmers land to 'expand a greenbelt'

Poor old timer fought it with every ounce and dime.

His buyout was no where close to market values.

Within 5 years the NCC changed its 'vision'

They in turn resold the stolen property for millions to big block retailers.

Ottawa also has bylaws on boats

Almost as bad as condo corps

Edited by crusty

My neighbours dont even blink anymore whatever I do

It took a few years to train them but they are now well trained

dirtbikes cars boats guitars amplifiers loud kids whatever

they know im the neibourhood pitbull and they all feel very comfortable with me as a neighbour

You either have cool neighbours or you dont

I would buy the boat and not worry about it