RESTOULE BEAUTY

asdve23rveavwa

We arrived home from Restoule, last night, and I've been putting together a picture package (out of the 500 or so that we took in the last five days)....so here is the story of our mini-vacation.

I am going to begin with my musky encounter, which actually took place on our last full day (Tuesday). No pictures of this, it all took place so quickly and my "ace photograper" was up the path at our site. I had waded out from our little beach with my spinning rod and a black buzzbait, the same as every other day up there, trying to nail a few more nice smallies. In the first fifteen minutes I caught and released a small pike and lost a decent smallmouth. I took another cast out from the weeds/lilly pads and began my retrieve. The Cavitron buzzbait gurgled across the top of the water as I retrieved it at a good clip. I was standing in shorts up to my waist in the clear water just off the marked area of the beach. As the buzzbait neared me I couldn't believe what I saw following it!! Within five feet of me was what looked like a mini-alligator !! MUSKY, and, a decent one (probably a solid 15 pounds) charging towards my bare legs! It began to turn away, I lifted the bait and did a "semi-roll cast" in front of it...the 'ski didn't hesistate...it nailed it with a massive swoosh. Remember this was all within less than ten feet of me, while wading!! My spinning rod bent over and the fish peeled line for two seconds, then was gone. Leaving me with a fast beating heart, and, shaking knees, and, more than likely the craziest encounter I've had with a fish.

For those of you out there who fish musky, if you think a hit during or after a follow to the boat is exciting, you haven't experienced heart-stopping until you have it happen in clear water, while wading in shorts!!!!!!!!!

To sum up the vacation and the park...it was beautiful, lots of wildlife, great scenery and we had an amazing site. Lake access, large, a beach right off our path (the boys spent every minute they could down there) and only one other family next to us for three of the nights.

The fishing out of the boat was tough, but contrary to popular opinion shore fishing with the right presentation and spots can be quite good. I never got skunked while wading.

Our trip began Saturday morning...Juli and two of the boys finishing packing the van (we took both vehicles, I was towing the boat with mine)

DSCN0211.jpg

After a lot of "are we there yets" in both vehicles, and, a six hour drive with stops for lunch and gas, we arrived.

IMG_5429.jpg

We launched on the main lake the first night for a couple of hours of fishing...I lost a decent bass, not much else. The boys were raring to go

IMG_4945.jpg

Juli loves fishing, but, here she is partaking in her other hobby

DSCN0217.jpg

Some miscellaneous boat/fishing shots

DSCN0223.jpg

RSCN0221.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

Restoule wildlife-

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5281.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Scenery-

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

Wading/fishing including a couple decent smallies and a baby musky-

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4958.jpg

Juli and the boys around the campfire

IMG_5058.jpg

The boys "clam farm"...think they had as much fun gathering them as fishing!!

IMG_5263.jpg

The boat pulled up on the beach at our site-

IMG_5250.jpg

We had an awesome time, the fishing was just a bonus. Thanks to Bowslayer, Dan and Stoty for some tips on the park. I never targetted the walleye, but, they are there. Plenty of bass to be had, I also caught a few smaller pike, had a good one follow on Clear Lake...the same day as my musky encounter...I won't lie, the fishing out of the boat was tough, but, with the three boys it was more about getting out on the water and having fun!!

Hope everyone enjoys the report, might get out to Scugog on Saturday to end the holiday. Then on to the Fish-a-Thon for cancer!!

Edited by FRANKIE65

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. And time well spent with the family! Like I said! Restoule is on my list and its only a mater of time before I fish it. Hopefully next year.

Anyways, thanks for sharing.

Nice report man!

My uncle used to tell me a very similar story about a esox encounter. His was much more bloody though! Ended up getting a few decent cuts on his legs, and a big pike for dinner..

Edited by F-is-H

Frankie we must have crossed paths last week,your third picture of the boys in the boat at the dock a small part of my boat is in the picture(back right). Not the fiberglass with top but the white and black starcraft with 70 johnson that was on the end of the dock. I have a 5hp nissan on as well.The small beach where you waded out from is the only place in the park where you can actually get a cell phone signal. You might have seen my wife and I walking our golden past your site. We were camped in the walk in sites right by the ramp and docks.

haha Frankie good report, been thinking bout going to Restoule.

but also can relate to the musky story. my gf and I were fishing for walleye (wading out on scugog) caught a few walleye on the xrap.. take another cast.. and WHAMMMO! not a walleye for sure.. Smallie or a musky?! next thing you know I see this big long back swiming towards me so I told my gf and she headed to shore.. then the part was how am I gunna land this thing?! ended up fighting it for a minute or two on my walleye rod and braught it to shore (just shy of the sand) the thing was about 40'' and a very exciting moment.. not knowing where the gator is in the water mean (night time) but a great memory for sure!

Thanks, to everyone for the comments. Wish we would have booked a few more nights up there...although it did start raining pretty hard as we were packing up. Anyone that has been thinking of going to the park, go for it!! Don't expect to catch a ton of fish, there is alot of water to cover in one, make that 50 weeks, but if you are happy catching 2-3 lb smallies, some pike, and having a chance at some musky (wasn't even trying for them when I caught the little one, and hooked the good one) you might be surprised.

Just watch the water when you are wading :lol::lol: