How many here are full time fishing guides ?

GbayGiant

I imagine there are quite a few guides on this site, just a few basic questions for you. I have fished my whole life and the last two years have guided part time for lodges and independent guides that asked me when they were booked. I'm thinking of going full time, I took my time learning all the local hot spots and learning the structure, times of year when the fish move, temperature etc...and started a journal of my days on the water to try and lock it in a little more. There is only one full time independent guide in the area I fish and he is always booked and I've talked and fished with him quite a bit, he thinks it would be a good idea, there is more than enough buisness plus he just had a baby girl and she will give him a handfull.

How did you start ?

What was your first guide boat ?

Do you like your job ?

Can you make a good living ?

What licenses or insurance do you need ?

I guess that's more than a few questions, but I have a million more. :canadian: I know it's not easy like people think, but I'm willing to give it a go.

How have your experiences been ?

I guess it depends on where you are living. Up north we don't have any special licences just a knowledge of the water we fish and the boats we handle.

In our area, many clients expect a shore lunch. However, this is not always provided and the price for each trip is based on how many in the boat and if a shore lunch is wanted.

As far as making a living, well if you gotta go into hock for a big boat and equipment, making the living could be really tough. Up here the camps figure on a 20 week earning period. So the length of time you could spend fishing would also have to be taken into account.

I would be on Georgian Bay, inshore, walleye, muskie, pike, smallmouth are what I fish for, could go offshore for Salmon, Rainbows and lakers but I would need two seperate boats to do that. May 1st to ice up is when I fish but I could imagine it gets slower in Oct, Nov.

I would have to work a real job in the off months like GreenCoach. :D A couple guides here put out Ice huts in the winter but the ice fishing is slow.

Edited by GbayGiant

North of Parry sound (pointe au Baril area). There is only really one guide (Blair) and I will be talking more with him, I'm just looking for advice from some of you guys.

Basically working for the lodges is good in many ways, no expenses,(use their boats, gas, bait, tackle etc...) you just show up, go fishing and get paid at the end of the day by the lodge, plus you have a gang of guides that tell you where the fish are, and your names not on the line as much, it's more of the lodges name and they are more responsible.

So I'm basically considering going out on my own but It will be a lot different, plus it's easier to just ask you guys..before I find out the problems by myself. :lol::D

Edited by GbayGiant

AS soon as the RCMP get some boats built and get themselves licenced your going to be looking at a commercial boat opperators licence. I think this will be an actual licence and not the micky mouse cards we have now and as far as I know George Brown in TO is the only place to get it so far.

I think insurence drove a lot of guides out of bussiness or under the table.

I cant really give you an answer because in the US it is tough to be a freshwater guide because of the expense/time of getting and running the water with only 1-3 people in the boat. A guided trip for bass was $300.00 for two of us and the guide had 8 hours into a 5 hour on the water trip by the time he put the boat back in the garage. That is 37.50 per hour without any expenses. After expenses he was around $20.00 per hour. Which sounds good till you figure that you are not booked 8 hour/365 and the most popular days are Sat-Sun around here. Start up is all of the tackle in multiple numbers, Insurance, auto/boat upgrades and time on the water to learn new spots. It is a huge outlay for something that can be controlled by public opinion of yourself. I have seen a few go down in flames because their equipment,knowledge boat appearance,and their appearance/personality was perceived as being less than perfect for a short time. One guide had a family member die and that hit him hard and it reflected in his performance. I am not trying to tell you not to do this just look at it with the light of day on it because it is not an easy business to start and to make it successful. If the lodges have their own guides how will you get the word out to the Tourists? 20 weeks x 5 trips a week maximum x 8 hour day x $20.00 = $16,000.oo income how much different is that from what you make now? If you have a go at it how much money do you have put aside as a cushion? If you get into financial issues is your old job available or something equal? The average guide around here replaces their boat/motor every 3-5 seasons will the present boat be able to go that length right now being about 300 hours of running a year? If your boat goes down do you have a back up boat or can you borrow a friends boat? Can you spend the day in a boat with an ass**** and still smile? Can your spouse accept you getting up at 4:00 am and back at dark for days in a row?

I answered all of these questions and decided that I could not be a guide here in the states. My present job pays better than guiding and I can't fish with an ass**** so I get to keep my fishing as fun and not a job. Think hard about it and if you can answer all of the questions correctly then go for it.

Art

Guest Trophymuskie

How did you start ? It was my retirement plan but something happened in 2000 that had me start my semi retirement early ( 35 YOA ). I actually even made a complete business plan like I would for any other business. Then worked on getting the $$$ for the boat and started to advertise right away.

What was your first guide boat ? Been a muskie guide and fishing big waters as well as wanting to offer a 5 star service I needed something big enough and comfortable as well as reliable. So I first stated off with a brand new 2000 Smokercraft 182 Ultima with a Honda 115HP. Already changed boat twice and now I am guiding out of a 2006 Crestliner Mirage 2000 with a 225 Optimax and 15 HP Bigfoot.

Do you like your job ? I love the job, how can you beat fishing for a living. And yes been out there 10 hours a day for weeks at a time in all types of weather and fishing conditions can be difficult. Naturally there will always be a couple of individuals that will try and make your life miserable but that's almost par for any business.

Can you make a good living ? Depends what a good living means to you. I remember been told that we were over charging back when I charged $350USD and the US dollar was at $1.45CAD but even today at $525 CAD per day it's only part of my living. I still need to work in the off season and I have a great wife with a good job with a pension and all the benefits. Muskie season is only 6 months old so I work more hands on with my other business during the winter. Operating my own painting company is what allowed me to guide full time right from the start. The first couple of years are sure to be slow going.

What licenses or insurance do you need ? There are not that many full time guides out there and I think very few of us are doing it legit. I have a fully registered business, actual guiding business insurance, have completed marine first aid and MED A3 courses. I have the proper equipment and comply to boat inspections requirements by the Canadian Government. I am a member of the Ontario Sports Fishing Guides Association which is a great help with all the legalities as well as help with insurance and keeping up to date with all the new Government regulations.

All that been said you can go out there and guide out of anything that floats without any insurance. As we do not have any license requirement or anything else for that mater. But you will only need one incident to ruin your life. I guess it's like any other business and you do what you think is needed for you.

I hope this helps and if you need more details ask here or PM me your questions.

Regarding guides.

I travel a lot and am familiar with most high profile fisheries in Canada. I see very few, true full time independent guides or guide companys, but do see a considerable amount of folks that use it as a sideline. The most professional guide operations I have seen is on the west coast, with most still having their employees doing something else during the slow season. The finest example I have seen is a company called STS guiding on the Fraser River, which focuses on sturgeon and salmon, but also does assorted "eco trips".

Take a peek at his website (STS Guiding) and book a trip if you want to really have your eyes opened about customer service and how to offer a top notch service. This gentleman really has made it a business and does multiple trade shows in both Canada and the US, talks to fishing organizations, involved with conservation, let alone owns a bed and breakfast that works hand in hand with his company. He has roughly 9 Guides in total.

The most cost effective guiding operations I have seen is on the Bow River in Alberta. Using drift boats, it sure cuts down on fuel consumption and equipment costs, etc.. They can get some very demanding customers, particularily around Banff.

Style of trip and the market one caters means a lot. In some areas of Canada, a shorelunch is a nice touch, but other operations offer a great range be it a touch of wine, or finer foods to note. I was out with one operation on the ocean two years ago, that literally had hundreds of Shimano combo's (big stuff for halibut and salmon)..... and an equal amount broken....waiting to be repaired.

If I was to guide in cottage country in the area you decribed I would be sure to access every lodge, every motel, every store, and would definetely want a business plan. Note, that some guides also make assorted deals with various styles of accomodations and both get and give in various ways.....if they are serious and want to make it more of a business and not an occasional subsized fishing trip.

Just a few notes.

Most folks are simply not prepared to actually make it into a bonafide stand alone business. I wish you well.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

Here is a bad experience for you. We were at a sales meeting at what is regarded as one of the #1 rated 5 star lodges in Ontario. Our guide ....lol....simply wanted to smoke and I swear was just putting in time. The downside for the lodge was that the nature of the work I do.... can steer a lot of business by people that seriously want to fish. The same day, I had coworkers from ther parts of North America that had a great time with a remotely serious guide (heck....even if our guy had made it funny....anything).

Here is another one...from the guides perspective. A couple from overseas insists on fishing in very cold rainy weather....insists, despite being told that the opportunity for success was greatly diminished. Location: Banff area.

I would suggest that there is some type of opportunity that could slowly be developed in regional Ontario markets. Most gentlemen I have seen have not been equipped....primarily business wise to make it a consistent success. It is much more than the ability to catch a few fish to be a guide, and if you have the background to make it work, I applaud you.

outdoorguy61

why dont you do something part time then when you get alot of clients you can go fulltime? or is that what you already do?

That's what I would have to do, I'm not sure how long it would take to get fully booked seasons for a fishing guide but I imagine it would take at least a couple years anyway, probably depends on the fish you catch or don't catch. lol. :Gonefishing:

im sure you would do good..especially if lets say you dont catch fish you offer a discount..but especially where you live and will be fishing you have so many oppurtunitys..salmon..trout.. basically anything that swims lol.beach babes ..well good luck hope it all works out

That's what I would have to do, I'm not sure how long it would take to get fully booked seasons for a fishing guide but I imagine it would take at least a couple years anyway, probably depends on the fish you catch or don't catch. lol. :Gonefishing:

You don't want to guide for some of my freinds then, they can't catch a cold in the middle of winter :whistling:

Just some other things to consider, health insurance? Pension?

Oh Canada. :worthy: We get free heath care.

The only pension I would get is once I hit 65 years old. lol. The good thing about fishing is you could fish till you die, or at least 90yo. :lol:

But the way things are going in the world, free heath care and social insurance at 65 could be gone or changed in a few years, I guess life's a gamble no matter what you do.

Terry we'll get out one day, once I get my feet wet. ;)

This has been an interesting read for me too. Currently my only job is guiding for a lodge in NW Ont, however, I have been thinking of eventually making the jump to the type of guide service you are talking about.

I have learned a lot about customer service from my boss at the lodge and also gained valuable experience spending over 200 days in my boat with guests over the last 2 seasons.

I know it would be a lot of work and the start up would be costly.... but it's a lifestyle. If you are passionate, go for it. I worked for 3 years in a 'career' type job, sitting in front of a computer and I hated it so I made the jump to something I truly enjoy. One thing I know is I will never go back to a M-F office type job.

Best of luck to you John.

Cheers,

ben.

Hi John, been reading this thread, some good replies by all, I’ll share my experience in this way of life

Can you make a good living?

John, you can earn a living but most that I know don't do it for this reason

It’s a way of Life

We choose this way of life for peace and tranquility

If you’re getting into it for financial rewards, your getting into it for the wrong reasons

Generally folks work some 300 days a year, to be financially stable you are going to work some 200 days in a row. I start May 12 or opener of walleyes and go till mid to end of November with clients then pick and choose my days through ice up unless I have promo shoots to do late in the season for fishing related companies. There are no days off unless cancellations occur

The hardest part is building a family, most if not all will agree with me that the amount of time spent away from ones family working is very strenuous. This has been very difficult for me and my kids but they understand and enjoy the time we spend together whether fishing or other activities.

Guiding Full Time as a means of income means you have a set number of days to earn enough to keep you going during off seasons. There are some guides I know which will vary species from season to season and continue on during the winter; generally they have fewer days in the off season than the soft water season. As Outdoorguy61 posted the best operations for near yearly operations are on the west coast. Although there are several guides that operate what I consider full time, even though it’s seasonal to soft water. Some are more visible than others nonetheless there are a few full guides that do exist that rely solely on this type of income from this way of life. Most guides that operate do so as a means of extra income and have a full time income elsewhere.

Myself the soft water season I guide, the off season I do video editing and time coding and network and coordinated business agreements and book destinations for following year filming for TV show called Outdoor Passion/Passion Plein air

I also network with many other professionals and lodges and outfitters

I guess in a way I earn my living 2 ways, fishing and the fishing business

For myself, it all started when I was younger 12-13 years olds, my dad worked for a TV station affiliate of ctv which aired Izumi's first series of shows. I told my dad, I want to do that later, his reply was work hard enough and you can do become what you want. My dad being a hard working man taught just that (even though I complained about it through my younger years) He gave me the tools to accomplish and overcome any of life obstacles in his teachings of hard work

I wrote to everyone, Bob and In fisherman sent articles to me to read, these articles contained pieces on how to earn a living in the fishing business Guiding, Tourneys and Professional fishing promoter. What every article seemed to key in on is find a “Niche" that you can fill and this will allow for longevity of your career choice or means of earning a living at fishing .For a long time I rolled around to discover a niche, time wasted. How does one discover a niche is pretty simple in nature, you do and fish what naturally attracts you, and then your niche will develop into a reputable part of what sets you apart from others. Too many get into it trying to do what others are doing.

Best you go about it developing your personal niche, because it will bring out the best in you and set you apart. I started doing some local guiding when I was 19, now 39.From 19 to 21 I did a season for an outfitter which was not what I liked so I continued to venture on my own.

I'd say till I was around 23 -24, I was not to serious at it and did what ever came my way in species specific but always had my obsession for muskies and fished em since the age of 16. Around 24 things started coming around in my niche, muskies were getting more familiar to my knowledge and consistency in captures and large specimens soon developed sent in pics to magazines and not long after my phone started to ring with interest of what I was doing.

In ways I have been very fortunate to have been surrounded by many great profiled anglers we know today during my years of learning at this way of life and I continue to learn as years go by. Throughout this lifestyle I have formed another niche in other areas of the business apart from guiding, it’s the networking business side of things, which I enjoy also. What allowed me to financially sustain myself until the time was right was I owned another business which I have sold some 4 years ago now. It provided well but was not where I found peace and tranquility but it allowed enough time for me to build the way of life I currently enjoy. From that business I learned the networking side of doing business in which I currently use in the fishing end of things now. So all in all from the day I wished to be in this way of life until today, every experience and lesson I learned has been useful in allowing me to accomplish my goals,

In most work fields or careers

Most folks can’t wait to go to bed after a good days work

In this way of life you can’t wait to get up :)

As far as legally doing it, its pretty simple business

You can Incorporate, which is really not all that needed unless you have a larger operation running multiple boats

Very costly but also allows personal protection when under large operation

You can register which is economical and simple in nature

You can work as an autonomous worker which is equivalent somewhat to being registered

As far as insurance you need to be insured for your equipment and liability

Generally 1 million to 2 million should suffice

As far liability, Unless you are careless and place you guest in situations that could jeopardize their security not much responsibility should lie upon you .Its an outdoor activity which comes with its naturals perils of injury such as getting hooks in your hands ,cuts and scrapes. You may also waver off responsibilities but I suspect the safety responsibilities of your actions are always liable

Getting started, I suggest you put together a good business plan

Get a good marketing strategy which progressively becomes aggressive in relation to your income .Business networking also allows and offers good marketing strategies

Be yourself, we all go through the Ego phase, then we mature and realize it’s a means of earning a living equal to all other means. As you become more publicly known somewhat of a political correctness or politeness should exist (Wish I learned that one but I am just me) be involved in positive and constructive conservation efforts. Be truthful to yourself and others this allows for prolonged credibility and respect amongst all

Providing the service should come naturally as your knowledge and experience flourish Entertaining and providing good fun and laughs are what are essential simply because you spending 10 to 16 hours confined in tight quarters with people so humor is the remedy to dry spells and confinement

Help others as you progress in your way of life and possibly theirs also

Most of all be yourself and genuine

It should come naturrally

I have always said in this business

There are some that wish to be

Some that want to be

Some that are naturally born to be

To maximize on your niche

You and the fish must become one

Ps,take note on Outdoorguy61 reply,valuable info shared by him

Oudoorguy very good reply and experience shared

Thanks

Marc

Edited by marc thorpe

Guest mistyriver1
In most work fields or careers

Most folks can’t wait to go to bed after a good days work

In this way of life you can’t wait to get up :)

What a great read Marc, thanks. :)