Covering your boat during the winter

I bought a new boat this year and although we still have a few months of fishing weather, I'm starting to think about what I should do as far as storage goes...I have a 20' Tracker, no garage, but lots of storage area around the property...

I saw the "garage-in-a-box" on sale at CTC for $299.97 (12x20x8') and I realize that the bow will be slightly exposed, but I can probably drape a tarp over the top of the shelter and extend it over the bow..any experiences using this??

The other option I was looking at was the blue shrink wrap, but I was told that it's ~ $15/ft so that is going to run me over $300 and I'm not sure if you can reuse it year after year..... :wallbash::wallbash:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! :worthy:

Steve

Those portable garages are pretty good Steve and I think I've seen them 25' long so you may be able to find the size you need.

Another good option is to see if you can find a farm around your area who rents space in their barn. I used to store my last boat high & dry inside a barn for $150 for the entire winter.

Inside storage is the BEST but if not possible I would get what you called garage in the box before I cover it and let it sit out in the elements.

MOISTURE builds up inside a boat that is just covered and left out in the elements causing long term problems down the road with wood floors and even electrical connections.

The garage in a box is great. Been using mine for 3 or 4 years now. The unit lasted a couple of seasons but have had to throw another tarp over the frame to stop the leaks. The cover doesn't last forever but I just watch for the tarps to go on sale at Princess Auto and good to go. Nice and cheap protection for my boat 12 months of the year now.thumbsup_anim.gif

I bought a new boat this year and although we still have a few months of fishing weather, I'm starting to think about what I should do as far as storage goes...I have a 20' Tracker, no garage, but lots of storage area around the property...

I saw the "garage-in-a-box" on sale at CTC for $299.97 (12x20x8') and I realize that the bow will be slightly exposed, but I can probably drape a tarp over the top of the shelter and extend it over the bow..any experiences using this??

The other option I was looking at was the blue shrink wrap, but I was told that it's ~ $15/ft so that is going to run me over $300 and I'm not sure if you can reuse it year after year..... :wallbash::wallbash:

Steve

I have 2 of the 10'X20' and one 10'X10' garage in a box for my toys. I've got room for one more full sized one if I need it. :D

They work well. My boat is 18' so the tongue sticks out but if I had a longer boat I would just put a full one and a short one together to get a 30' garage. You would get a little rain or snow through the joint area but it would not be bad.

FYI

My oldest one was installed in the summer of 2007 I believe and is still on its first cover. The front and back walls are a bit worn but the main cover doesn't have any holes.

The main thing to remember is to go out and knock the snow off the roof in the winter time. I go into the garage with a broom and knock the roof to make the snow slide off.

Another thing, make sure you check and retighten the tension on the cover each spring as it will get streched out because of snow load over the winter.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Thanks guys....the one at CTC is regularly $550 on sale for $300 so I was thinking that's a good savings!!....we're in the process of designing a garage that is going to be attached to our log home, but it won't be until at least next year before we get the plans and permits done...

I guess if you are in the process of having a real garage built the one in a box will suffice and tide you over for a couple of seasons.

Although I would see if I could find an inside storage facility (barn) for the short term. More security and a lot dryer.

Tom

Been storing boats out side for 30 plus years with out a problem.The main thing is to have proper ventilation.

What I do is,I build a rib system over the boat and a minimum of 2 feet past the engine. the extra length is

for air. The back of my tarps are open.To stop any humidity from forming in the boat.

I had a balsa core boat store for 10 years this way with out any dry rote.

Shrink wrap is one of the worse ways you can store a boat. It locks the humidity inside.Do to the air

inside can't change to the condition outside.

When you build your garage. Insulate it very well.So once it gets cold out it stays cold in the garage.

Thanks guys....the one at CTC is regularly $550 on sale for $300 so I was thinking that's a good savings!!....we're in the process of designing a garage that is going to be attached to our log home, but it won't be until at least next year before we get the plans and permits done...

As you design that gagage allow for a bigger boat. You will replace your boat sooner that the garage and the boat will most likely be bigger. When we built our house the walkout basement has a garage that is 25'deep with a 10' door. Also be careful of the height of the door when open. Mine just clears the butt seat when it is down.

As you design that gagage allow for a bigger boat. You will replace your boat sooner that the garage and the boat will most likely be bigger. When we built our house the walkout basement has a garage that is 25'deep with a 10' door. Also be careful of the height of the door when open. Mine just clears the butt seat when it is down.

Our plans right now show the dimensions of the garage at 36'x44'...there should be plenty of room for a bigger boat in the future but I think my 20' is big enough for me....thanks for the advice on the door height as it's something I hadn't thought of...

If there is a Costco in your area try there. The usually have them for $200 to $250.

Been storing boats out side for 30 plus years with out a problem.The main thing is to have proper ventilation.

What I do is,I build a rib system over the boat and a minimum of 2 feet past the engine. the extra length is

for air. The back of my tarps are open.To stop any humidity from forming in the boat.

I had a balsa core boat store for 10 years this way with out any dry rote.

Shrink wrap is one of the worse ways you can store a boat. It locks the humidity inside.Do to the air

inside can't change to the condition outside.

When you build your garage. Insulate it very well.So once it gets cold out it stays cold in the garage.

Anyone that knows how to shrink wrap always vents it so humidity and moisture don't build up.Shrink wraping is one of the best ways to store boats outside aswell as if you leave it in a barn, it keeps the critters,dust and filth off your boat.It is abit on the pricey side,but when you pull it off in the spring and your boat is nice and clean and ready to go it is nice.

Anyone that knows how to shrink wrap always vents it so humidity and moisture don't build up.Shrink wraping is one of the best ways to store boats outside aswell as if you leave it in a barn, it keeps the critters,dust and filth off your boat.It is abit on the pricey side,but when you pull it off in the spring and your boat is nice and clean and ready to go it is nice.

I looked at that possibilty but how many times can you re-use it???....@ $15/ft, I was looking at $300+ for a 1 season use... :wallbash:

Anyway, I went with the flow and bought the CTC one....Thanks guys!!!!

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Looks great.

Bounce sheets keep the critters out. Better than mothballs and smell nicer, Grab a package of bounce and tuck them everywhere in the boat at storage time. By doing this I have not had a mouse in 4 years.

Cheers

I looked at that possibilty but how many times can you re-use it???....@ $15/ft, I was looking at $300+ for a 1 season use... :wallbash:

Anyway, I went with the flow and bought the CTC one....Thanks guys!!!!

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

I agree that shrink wrap is expensive for 1 season and you can't reuse it, it is also a pain to get rid of in the spring, not very enviromentaly freindly to say the least.

I like that shelter you got, just keep the snow load off the roof. The portable garages don't take a lot of weight on the roof so just don't let to much ice and snow build up, other then that it's a sweet place to store the boat.

I guarantee you that if I left my cover with open access (in my driveway) I'd being facing expensive repair costs after evicting the racoons. wallbash.gif

Just make sure you get a security deposit and the first months rent and you should be fine Chris.

Art

Steve

Steve

I have some indoor heated storage with security guard and cameras......$65 a month...

Let me know if you are interested....it's just down the road from you as well.

Can't beat it.

Matt

Steve

I have some indoor heated storage with security guard and cameras......$65 a month...

Let me know if you are interested....it's just down the road from you as well.

Can't beat it.

Matt

Thanks Matt!!.....I'll see how it goes this year with the shelter...even at $65/month, Dec- Apr would cost me $325....Hopefully, we'll have our own garage built by next year..

Guest gbfisher

i'd be real weary of wind and excessive snow buildup with that setup. just my 0.02

It only took one windy winter day to remove my buddies and it was tied and frozen to the ground. As long as you can watch whats going on...it may help.