A reply from Kevin Lavers

Ron

First off, I would like to thank the OFC Member who took the time to bring this series of posts to my attention so that I could have the opportunity to reply. What you have read is true. However, like most media releases, you don't have all the facts or all the perspectives.

This trip to Dorset is an annual fishing trip I take with members of my family. We spend a full week at the same location each year. I have never had a problem in the past but last year everything seemed to go wrong. Two of us travelled up there together and we were waiting for the other three to arrive late that afternoon. We had fished and caught three fish each the first day, which I had thought was the limit. That was my first mistake and yes I should have known better.

We put the six fish in the fridge when we got home because we always have a big fish fry the first night we are there. We waited and waited for the others to arrive but unfortunate circumstances kept my other three family members from being able to join us that night.

Not thinking about the failed fish fry the night before and the six fish we still had in the fridge which, according to the law, is technically in your possession; we went fishing again the next morning. That was where I made my second mistake.

I was charged and fined, not for "several fishing offences" as someone posted but for having exceeded the limit of possession for lake trout. It was six fish in our possession that second day and we were told the limit was four. The other party had three and I had three so, in fact, we were each over the limit by one. One fish was released on the spot because it was still in the live well. So, in fact we were over the limit by one fish between the two of us. But because he was over 65, and isn't required to have a fishing license, they only went after my license and laid the charges on me.

The lesson learned was definitely that everyone must eat there fish in their fridge or freezer before they can go fishing again the next day. My reasoning, although flawed, was that we were supposed to have our family fish fry that night so I was saving it.

Fishing plays a huge role in my livelihood. I would never do anything blatantly to put that at risk. Should I have been more diligent with knowing the possession limits in that area? – Absolutely. Did I mess up –YES. Did I take responsibility and pay the fine –YES.

I am certainly not perfect and I try hard to learn from my mistakes but I must say that I find it quite pathetic to see that so many fellow anglers take pleasure in wallowing over some one else's misfortunes. Never mind the fact that so much energy and attention goes towards the negative media and yet there is so little focus on the numerous positive contributions that I and Merland Park make throughout each and every year. Wouldn't it be nice if we stood by one another instead of being so quick to judge and sling mud at each other?

Edited by Ron

No matter how he spins it there is absolutely no excuse for what Mr. Lavers did.

I'm wondering as a camp owner and caretaker of the resource, how would he handle one of his own guests staying at Merlands pulling the same stunt?

My guess is quite harshly.

Edited by solopaddler

Anyway, doesn't matter to me really. He broke the law, got caught and fined. End of story as far as I am concerned.

+1 .. time served. the end.

thanks for posting his reasons though, always nice to see both sides of the story, at least he didn't defend it without admitting his mistake...

Pretty pathetic excuse to me, not only did he exceed his posession limit but also his daily catch and keep limit twice. For someone who fishes the area yearly he should know the limits, since the 2 laker limit has been there for years,I don't think it has ever been 3 fish. Anyway it all sounds pretty lame to me, admit your guilt pay the penalty and don't try to make feeble excuses.

Dont know what to say so I remain silent , solo has my respect and I tend to agree with him , but as I said Im at a loss for words as someone who makes alot of his income for fishing I WOULD NEVER place myself in any way to have something like this happen to me , sorry for you hope things work out but , WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU USEING FOR BRAINS . sorry dude I really respected you and now YOU WILL HAVE TO PROVE YOURSELF ALL OVER AGAIN ...

annual trip

same location every year

didn't know it was a 2 fish limit

??????

And FWIW once YOU catch 2 trout YOUR limit is done and you can not keep any other fish even if you're buddy hasn't filled his limit. It's not a shared limit per boat. You have to land the fish yourself to be legal for your limit

I still do not get the part where the mnr said and the judge agreed based on the evidence that he tried to cover it up by telling someone to hide the fish. That is why the fine is so big, the obstruction of justice.

This is very surprising to me. I would not have made this guess in a 100 years.

Not acceptable.

I am certainly not perfect and I try hard to learn from my mistakes but I must say that I find it quite pathetic to see that so many fellow anglers take pleasure in wallowing over some one else's misfortunes. Never mind the fact that so much energy and attention goes towards the negative media and yet there is so little focus on the numerous positive contributions that I and Merland Park make throughout each and every year. Wouldn't it be nice if we stood by one another instead of being so quick to judge and sling mud at each other?

Just admit you made a series of mistakes and move on. The over limit thing is one issue but the obstruction charge? You usually have to work for that one.

I would expect no less from anglers being disappointed in hearing this news. I don't think it is taking pleasure in your misfortunes because that would assume that it was just bad luck that you were charged.

Yes you are involved in the fishing industry and Merland Park does make positive contributions, so man up, move forward and learn your lesson. Maybe you could make a couple of those positive contributions now, instead of slinging mud back at those who are disappointed in you.

Edited by Michael Brown

what you are suggesting is totally against the law and the MNR have been fining people for doing that lately

and it's the guy who reels it in and or the guy he gives the fish too

even if you give the fish away for that day it's part of your limit and part of the limit of the person you give it too

Edited by Terry