Fillet knife question

taper

I just retired a Normark Rapala knive...the ones with the wooden handle. My son got me a new one for Xmas as the old one had been sharpened so many times the blade was almost gone. Had it for 29 years. You can go and spend more money on a knive with better quality steel that may not need sharpened as often...but I only sharpened mine twice a year and have filleted thousands of fish with it. I was very happy with that knive and I am enjoying it's new replacement as well.

I know it's cheesy with all the gidgets and gadgets but get the Fishermans Solution from Cutco. It's a great knife that has served me well for 17 years and still looks new. You can adjust the length of the blade which is kinda neat when you go from filleting a perch to a nice wally or 2.

I have the 'fishermans solution from Cutco as well". Now, I have had problems with the blade lock on it but it has a life time warrenty and I am on my sixth knife in about 15 years. Super knife, and I really love it but there isn't anything wrong with the Rapalas either and they are a lot less money!

I have an old Rapala with a wooden handle held together with electrical tape cause the dog chewed up the handle.Its got to be 20 yrs old by now and seen quite a few catfish fillets.For the money its a decent blade that holds an edge reasonably well.Sharpens up quickly.

Joe

GCD, is the Small Gerber called a "BABY GERBER"? :blink:

For the record, its called a "mini-gerber", according to the book "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", :lol: by Hunter S. Thompson.

:lol: when I read that book, I didn't even know about Gerber knives, now I own 3 of them.

For the record, its called a "mini-gerber", according to the book "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", :lol: by Hunter S. Thompson.

:lol: when I read that book, I didn't even know about Gerber knives, now I own 3 of them.

There's nothing "baby" or "mini" about this Gerber!

fishin12-28-06021-1.jpg

This knife can handle anything from 30# Amberjack and Grouper down to 9" Crappie, it's the best fillet knife i've ever owned.The sheath to the right has a built in sharpener and 3 pulls thru that thing will give you a razor edge.

Ya cant go wrong with those rapala wooden handle fillet knives... I had a look at the Henckel one.. wow.. what a knife... it runs $70 on sale... Its my wish for fathers day this year....

I have the Henkle Knife as well as several others, however, I find myself always reaching for the Rapala first. Its a good knife, with a nice bend to it.

Cheers

Jen

Here is the knife I have and it is very nice for the finesse jobs.

nice knife