Rude fishermen infringe on cottage enjoyment

FlyGuy5

The solution is simple, if someone casts on your dock, take your rod and cast back on their boat. If you get lucky enough you might even hook one in the face.

A week ago some moron decided to come 10 feet from my dock and started casting towards a swimming area that had kids wading in the water. Needless to say after some choice words, he's not coming back anytime soon.

Edited by ctranter

A little bit of common sense goes a long ways.

Agreed! This arguement has been beat to death. There has to be respect for each on both sides of the shoreline, of course there will always be rude folks on both sides.

There is no excuse for snagging someones boat interior and especailly leaving it. Put the rod down and take up golf.

Agreed! This arguement has been beat to death. There has to be respect for each on both sides of the shoreline, of course there will always be rude folks on both sides.

There is no excuse for snagging someones boat interior and especailly leaving it. Put the rod down and take up golf.

There's no excuse for casting near it in the first place. Yes, boats and docks hold bass. But there's lots of lake for everyone.

There's no excuse for casting near it in the first place. Yes, boats and docks hold bass. But there's lots of lake for everyone.

I respect your point of view, but I refuse to let a few haphazard anglers ruin my quality time on the water fishing what I love to fish.

I fish docks and boats and will contiune to do so. I am confident in my ablitly to do it safely and with respect for the owners and thier property. If someone starts with the "lip service" I just ignore them and continue on my way. There is some satisfaction in it for me actually, as its the only time I actually can ignore someone "yipping" at me as I don't have to wake up beside them the next day.

Edited by Harrison

Daniel DeKuyper wrote about "Fishermen's Etiquette" and he's right...but the gate swings both ways....how about when I'm in a quiet bay jigging for fish on the first break and the "cottage" guy roars very close to me with water skier in tow....here I got up early and was as quiet as possible to fish this bay only to be harassed by the power boater or water bike showing off right in front of me when there is a LOT of open water to do their activity. Nothing will change and things only get worse IMHO.

Bob

Unfortunately what is going to happen is cottagers are going to get the law changed about fishing docks, and then us smug fishermen who beak off on fishing forums are going to loose another battle.

As Lew mentioned a little common sense goes a long way, however common sense is no longer common.

Dan

Can't say I blame the guy for being mad, plus if his kids sat on a hook or stuck there foot around the dock with a snagged lure, would be another story :angry: .

I couldn't imagine, thats why if you do snag something you ALWAYS get it, 100% of the time.

As in public parking lots, when you ding a car some people will leave a note or track the owner down, others take off.

Boats and docks are on public water, I think the same etiquette applies IMO.

Edited by Harrison

I didn't realize cottage owners owned the water around their docks.

I must have missed that memo.

I pitch around docks all the time, I rarely pitch towards someones boat if it's tied up though. Just be a bit more careful and there are no issues, I'd never fish someones dock if there were people on it though.

Edited by BillM

Should we not have a fisherman's code about this. Maybe something like you shouldn't fish docks if there are people out on them. If you want to fish docks they should be fished early in the morning or during the week when cottagers are less likely to be present. Even though the dock is in the lake it is private property. In fact it can be a very expensive investment. My father in law just spent over 8 grand on his new dock. I could see why he would be upset if someone would damage it.

Dannyboy I'm afraid you have it right here. If anglers are reckless around docks and boats the laws will change.

Harrison, your attitude is what will get the laws changed. What is wrong with making your way to another spot if a homeowner/dock owner asks you to?

In my mind it comes down respecting peoples property. Unless you are a professional fisherman, or in a tournament what is the problem with avoiding fishing a dock or shoreline where there are people present?

I would feel uncomfortable fishing a dock when there are people out on their property. However I can see another side to this issue. If I was fishing a dock early in the morning and a person made their way to the dock specifically to yell at me I might want to make them aware of the law. I guess the time of day/week is the big issue for me. Fishing a dock at noon on a weekend when there are clearly people present is asking for trouble IMHO.

Unfortunately what is going to happen is cottagers are going to get the law changed about fishing docks, and then us smug fishermen who beak off on fishing forums are going to loose another battle.

As Lew mentioned a little common sense goes a long way, however common sense is no longer common.

Dan

I truly hope, and dount it'll get the point where the laws are changed. How often do you hear of injury or civil suits arising from fishing near docks?

As per the article - This is just once side of the story, and I wouldn't doubt the facts are fudged in their favor. However, hitting someone's boat is completely inappropriate.

However, buying a cottage in the first place naturally results in boaters, fishermen, fires, wildlife etc. It's a risk they're aware of at the time of purchase. It's like complaining about someone parking too close to you in a parking lot, or buying a house next to a park and complaining of baseballs going over your fence.

In terms of common courtesy - I've fished by and near docks, sometimes with people there. In most cases they're pleasant and if they're right on the water we naturally stay further away. I'm sure if this person simply asked the fishermen mooring 10ft from their dock for more space out of common courtesy in a respectful manner, they'd get the results their looking for.

Unless you are a professional fisherman, or in a tournament what is the problem with avoiding fishing a dock or shoreline where there are people present?

So, your saying it's OK for some folks to fish around docks and boats, but not others ??

Harrison, your attitude is what will get the laws changed. What is wrong with making your way to another spot if a homeowner/dock owner asks you to?

Unless you are a professional fisherman, or in a tournament what is the problem with avoiding fishing a dock or shoreline where there are people present?

Attitude? I think you have the wrong guy.

As for the second part, HUH?

What I'm saying is that fishing is an enjoyable hobby for most of us. It's not a career. If you read my post carefully you would see that I think fishing around docks is quite fine if you respect the cottage owner. However if I was fishing a tournament I would fish the dock. I would also inform any homeowner who had a problem with me that I was in a tournament. If I was out for a day fishing I would have no problem moving along if I as asked to, providing I found the request reasonable, but I would avoid fishing a dock if I thought I was disrupting the homeowner. I would hate to see a change in the law that would prevent fishing docks. I think respect for people, even if you feel like they are not respecting you, is the best approach. Again this is just my opinion. I avoid fishing docks when people are present.

Edited by fishgreg

Cottagers are group of people who the politicians know pay property taxes and, whether right or wrong, feel that by paying those taxes they should receive some benefit, property ownership also includes certain 'rights'.

We as fishermen, on the other hand, pay a relatively small fee compared to property taxes for a license which allows us the 'privilege' of fishing.

Privileges are much easier to take away than rights under law - so who do you think will win in the end? The golden rule says that the ones with the most gold make the rules.

It is the 1% of fishermen that are the problem, just like it was the 1% of boaters that lead to the ridiculous concept of the boaters card.

Dan

Like most things jack-asses on both sides of the equation.

But in the last few years I have run into more cottagers that seem to think they bought a cottage and therefore own 200 nautical miles out from shore.

Best approach is always common sense and courtesy though.