Honda Civic....any thoughts ??

lew

Since my daughter was forced off the road and her car totalled a couple weeks back, she's now ready to purchase a new vehicle and is interested in a new 2007 Honda Civic.

She's like me and has always driven GM but is now ready to try something new.

I've heard their sposed to be an excellent vehicle but was wondering if any of you folks have any 1st hand experience with them ??

Any thoughts ??

2CO.jpg

Hi Lew,

I have first hand knowledge on em as I have one sitting in my driveway:) we bought a new 2004 Civic Special Edition as they were doing their year end clearance.. I think we got a good deal on the car.... we have had Zero issues with it and it is a daily driver. I too see ALOT of older model Hondas on the road... sure their may be a few rust spots on em... but the engines are in perfect working order....

Should you require a hand in choosing a dealer and dont mind dealing with a place in Hamilton to purchase the car, I have a name for you. PS... any Honda dealership will service it....

Gerritt.

Hey Lew,

My fiance and I have a 95 civic right now and it runs great, mind you it does have low kms still. Honda makes an excellent engine, IMO.

I did have a friend who had a new one and put a ton of kms on it doing a sales job and the suspension fell apart pretty bad. He was hard on it though.

If your daughter puts a lot of kms on her car, check out the diesel VW Golf or jetta. I had a 2002 golf and loved that car.

Going by past experience on first year model cars history.......avoid the Fusion like the plague!!!! Seen somewhere in my autoline discussion where the Fusion air filter is $150 bucks(US$) It may end up being a decent car in the future.... but...do you want to chance it?

Thanks boyz, it's good to hear all the positive feedback on the Civic.

They've been around alot of years and I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about them and I'll pass all your thoughts onto Sheri.

The Fusion came out in 2006 and uses 2 differnt engines that have been tried and proven.The air filter for 150.00 only has to be changed every 160,000km.If you price out how many air filters you would change in a Honda in that many km's you will find the Ford will be almost half the price.

Hi Lew, from the ones that I have been in, they are excellent cars and they can really boot when they want to. I have heard alot of positive things about them. If I were to ever own a car of my own, that would be at the top of my list. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by fishergirl72

Good point... Honda has a fantastic resale value.. especially to 18 year old punks that put them loud resonators on em LOL

Gerritt.

Gerritt, did you just call my daughter a punk ?? :jerry::lol::lol:

As long as it doesn't look like one of the thousands that show up at Wasaga Beach, way overdone with all the bells an whilstles except for the motor. :D she will like it.

Between Civic and volkswagen is a toss up for the most reliable engine. I've seen many civics with 1,000,000 or so kilometres. :lol:

Edited by GbayGiant

The only problem I know of anyone having with a Civic was transmission related at over 350000K and with 3 young adults under 19 driving it. I don't know of anyone that isn't satisfied with their Honda or Toyota. Heck my daughter and son in law have an Accord and Odyssey, my neighbor a Odyssey, Civic and an Element and they have all been trouble free. My Son bought his wife a Toyota corolla, and a good friend and his wife have a Camary and a Tundra, in fact they have had Toyotas for over 20 years and will not buy another brand. Don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices

I drove one in the virgin islands and I cant say enough good things about the way it drives and handles.

My syster also has an Odysee

Beyond that, the civic is great on gas AND has a high resale value.

Honda builds a solid engine that will outlast any GM IMO

We are planning on gettigna new car in a few months, its most likely gonna be a Civc. The Yaris and the Golf are the next choices, but I hear VW parts can be costly.

Edited by mepps

Well Lew Honda civic gets my vote over Toyota eventhough they are both good.The Civic is sleaker hands down better looking than the Corolla.When buying a small 4 cylinder car japanese are second to none.The Ford Fusion I am sure is a nice riding car but we are not comparing apples to apples.The Fusion is a Mid size sedan and it will not achieve the fuel economy of the Honda.The Ford is in another class midsize.

When I became a sales rep in 2000 I sold my 1989 Honda civic to a lady at the time it had 253 000kms on it.That same car is still on the road today with over 350 000kms on it.I drove the crap out of that little Civic and it just came back for more.

My current Van is a Honda Odessey 2000 no complaints.I had to change the front shocks only because Quebec roads are the worst in Canada.Just replaced the battery and I had to replace the timing belt at 100 000kms just regular maintenance.It pulls my 2600 pound tent trailer with ease.

My boat motor is a 50hp Honda runs like a dream.I had a 24 year old Honda 7.5hp when I sold it ,it ran like brand new.

One more thing the new civic has a very high safety rating!

Honda is the largest manufacturer of engines in the world.

Get the civic.

As for Ford I would buy an F-150 but the Honda Ridgeline is lost in the pickup world.

MTP

Check the CAA and Consumer Reports. Everthing Item has the highest rating. My 99 Civic that I bought second hand last year is running excellent. I drove cross Canada and put 24,000 Kms in a year. Starts no problems in the saskatchewan cold. If she can afford new, the only other comparisons might be a Corolla or Mazda

honda are great.. i had a 93 accord, 92 accord, 97 oddessey. great cars. great engine. also driven the civics. my brother & uncle(used to be the head mechanic at oakville honda i believe) specializes on fixing hondas.

hey lew, ever considering the honda civic hybrid?