Question on Walleye baits....

ssauvain

I don't know if it matters...but gulp raises my confidence when fishing. I mean...the scent and texture of gulp makes me want to eat them...so the fish have no chance! right??

I've wondered the same thing in the past. When it comes to extremely slow presentations, like dragging and dead-sticking, I use a Powerbaits whenever I can. With faster retrieves, like soft sticks, swimming a grub, and swimming a tube, I'll go either way. Having said that, I've caught as many fish on unscented baits as I have on scented baits. I still have the most confidence in Powerbaits, though. In NW Ontario, I doubt it makes a difference.

Failing live bait, I would choose gulp over regular powerbait.

As for gulp vs. live bait... there is no comparison. Gulp claims to outfish live bait but that's total crap. Last season I guided Berkley Biddel (yes, the guy who started the Berkley fishing company) and he was determined to fish gulp. His brother and I schooled him with live bait and he finally caved in after a day.

On a side note... what a great guy. Very modest and down to earth. He started at age 15 tying flies and leaders in his bedroom and grew his company from there.

Only recently have tried the Gulp baits, just last summer, and they did work, but the jury is still out for me as I tried them after I had used live bait for most of the day.

This summer, I am gonna try them exclusively up front at the start of the day, (with live bait available) and see what happens. My bud and I will switch with each other as to who tries the Gulp baits any given weekend we are out, and track the success, or failure.

But, when fish start to feed, sometimes it does not matter what you present to them, you could put a hook on a toothbrush, and land fish when they are on.

BTW, I am strictly talking Walleye fishing myself. Haven't yet tried for any other species with Gulp yet.

AND, man 'O man, that stuff smells bad, reeks really. Better wear gloves when you eat a "gweech" :lol: , trust me.

Prep H.... :)

As for gulp vs. live bait... there is no comparison. Gulp claims to outfish live bait but that's total crap.

I'd say. Last year I fished with a good friend that hates live bait and insists that plastic is better. I'll just say he got skunked and I ended up with some nice fish, but I have ran out of live bait and went to the plastic reserve before and they do work, I get the scented ones.

As for gulp vs. live bait... there is no comparison. Gulp claims to outfish live bait but that's total crap. Last season I guided Berkley Biddel (yes, the guy who started the Berkley fishing company) and he was determined to fish gulp. His brother and I schooled him with live bait and he finally caved in after a day.

Agreed Trapshooter. Many times guys have tried to outfish me with artificial. No one so far has done it. :D

Last summer I was using gulp and my wife was using minnows. At different times of the day one was doing better than the other but minnows got more action, although it's usually one minnow = 1 fish unless you get robbed and then it's 2 minnows = 1 fish :clapping: . I brought in 3 walleye with the same gulp will my wife rebaited her jig. :Gonefishing:

Last summer I was using gulp and my wife was using minnows. At different times of the day one was doing better than the other but minnows got more action, although it's usually one minnow = 1 fish unless you get robbed and then it's 2 minnows = 1 fish . I brought in 3 walleye with the same gulp will my wife rebaited her jig.

I have caught at least 5 walleyes with the same minnow on more than one occasion, I try to make them last as long as possible.

Speaking of rubber, I use it more for rigging minnows, it's a little trick, you cut a small piece of the rubber worm and put it on after the minnow and it holds it there so the only way it will come off is if a fish rips it off but it will increase your hook ups and save you minnows. ;)

Edited by GbayGiant

Down here all we use is gulp or finn-s minnows for jigging the river. Some use live bait but artificial's definately outfish live bait for vertical jigging. SOmetimes I don't have to change my bait for 2 or 3 outings. Same jig, same plastic. Limit everyday.