Downrigger cannon balls

buckster

I had the same sticker shock when I went looking. I found the ugly duckling variety - not gloss black covering, no signage. I think they were about 25 or 30 each. The holders were almost as much at 18. That was in Cambridge at Fish Tales. Some of the big CT stores have 'em, but I never priced them

$70. I don't mind try to help out the American market,but that's insane.

I bought 2 12 pounders with plastic coat at BPS for $45 each last spring.

Another thing I like about BPS is alot of there sale prices are the same as

regular prices a LeB's.

i checked some out at jb's for you today. really high up there on the price tag. he had a cool new shark one tho.. think its called "the extreme" apparently emits a higher low frequency sound and reflects light alot better? buh.. anyways it was going for $120.. $110 for the standard shark.

Having never needed a cannonball does this sound like it would work?

Take a metal bowl and fill with 5# of lead and insert a dowel of wood in to the bowl middle let harden and remove wood. Repeat and do again and let both sides cool. Install eye bolt thru holes and bolt together. Smooth edge with torch or soldering iron. Paint with epoxy spray paint to seal lead from human contact. If you don't use the dowel of wood trying to drill the lead is difficult at best and usually seizes and breaks the bit unless you drill slow and clean the fluke frequently.

Art

The reason for these expensive cannon balls is to reduce "blowback" when downrigging deep. The more expensive cannon balls are designed to track better and reduce the blowback effect so you can easily downrig below 80' and depths much deeper without your downrigger line trailing way behind the boat.I know there ridiculously expensive but they do work very well and if your a serious downrigger fisher, they solve alot of hassel when trolling deep.

Edited by canadadude