40lb salmon caught in lake O today

siwash

40 lbs is massive.. Imagine gettin one of them throwin a cleo of the peir!

I remember a OFC member won one of the weeks last year?...yes?

Yup, TonyB won last year and Percher the year before that.

Let's keep the winning streak alive!

I am so excited to have a charter booked for mid august this year. With all the great reports its look like its going to be another great year for salmon on the Lake.

I don't mean to burst you bubble, but the problem with salmon fishing (more than any other type of fishing) is that it can completely change in a matter of hours, let alone days.. they are nomadic creatures and unpredictable. Unlike a walleye or musky, or bass, where you can be pretty certain they're gonna be within a general area (feeding on a shoal in the eve, dropping back to nearby deeper water at mid-day, etc...) salmon might be off the shores of toronto Islands at this moment and in 12 hours they might be frolicking off the shores of Rochester

My advice is, don't get your hopes up too high and if you catch something that day, great... but the dedicated salmon guys have plenty of fruitless days, even in a "good year".. those guys who post pictures of big fat salmon go out regularly

Edited by swordfish

I don't mean to burst you bubble, but the problem with salmon fishing (more than any other type of fishing) is that it can completely change in a matter of hours, let alone days.. they are nomadic creatures and unpredictable. Unlike a walleye or musky, or bass, where you can be pretty certain they're gonna be within a general area (feeding on a shoal in the eve, dropping back to nearby deeper water at mid-day, etc...) salmon might be off the shores of toronto Islands at this moment and in 12 hours they might be frolicking off the shores of Rochester

My advice is, don't get your hopes up too high and if you catch something that day, great... but the dedicated salmon guys have plenty of fruitless days, even in a "good year".. those guys who post pictures of big fat salmon go out regularly

bubble bursted?

My bubble is not burst. Grew up fishing for salmon every summer with my uncle on Lake Huron and Michigan. Have also gone on Lake Ontario charters and caught 1 fish and 20 fish, I understand how they cycle around the lake and can be gone in a flash. But you have to admit from looking at the size of last years fish in the derby and the size already caught this year, the chances of getting a larger fish appear to be looking up.

• 4 years later...