Marine Grade Plywood

I dont use marine grade.... I forget what it's called, fur or something like that. Its solid stuff. I had it on for 2 seasons now and havent had any issues. I just painted it up real good and put sylicone around where I drilled my holes and what not and she was ready to go! still gotta replace the on board wood though.

$270.00 CAD ? Huh :w00t:

I have to replace the transom on my little tinny soon.

The piece that is their now is approximately 8" x 48" x 1" with a section in the middle that is extended down and is about 10"x10"

Could I use some hardwood that I have left over from a job and put about 8 coats of laquer on it instead?

$270.00 CAD ? Huh w00t.gif

The piece that is their now is approximately 8" x 48" x 1" with a section in the middle that is extended down and is about 10"x10"

Could I use some hardwood that I have left over from a job and put about 8 coats of laquer on it instead?

if your transom is 1" just glue 2 peices of 1/2" ply together if its 1 1/2" use 3/4" ply after that give it a couple coats of resin to seal the wood i just used spruce i think when i did mine

$270.00 CAD ? Huh :w00t:

Wood used in boats-teak very expensive,south american mahogany a little less expensive than teak, or the cheap alternative is white oak.The problem might be structural integrity, you'll have to laminate a pc that big and marine epoxy cost and time spent it might be cheaper to just buy the plywood.

i did my boat 16 foot fiberglass with a 50 hp on it

i used 1/2" (Douglas fur) its good for this use doubled up screwed with resin between the 2 layers then coated the outer sides with resin to seal it up.

good luck

Edited by pikeguy

home depot sells it. i think you have to buy the whole sheet tho.. $50 somethin dollars.

Home Depot doesn't carry marine grade plywood. You may be confusing it with exterior grade.

Hamilton Plywood is where I got mine.... $120 for 4x8x3/4 iirc.

"Wood used in boats-teak very expensive,south american mahogany a little less expensive than teak"

Ya but you are going to be hard pressed these days to find a boat with teak or mahogany on it for anything other than trim. They aren`t using it for filler in transoms or for decks on boats, well maybe if the boat has a million dollar price tag.

My 75 SeaRay Sundancer had some small pieces of teak trim on it, and I bought a 4x8 sheet of teak faced marine plywood and rebuilt the cockpit seat, it was like $128.00 back in the early 80`s.

Glue a couple of pieces of plywood together to get the right thickness, use water proof glue cut it, varnish the heck out of it and you should be good for 10 years.

Wood used in boats-teak very expensive,south american mahogany a little less expensive than teak, or the cheap alternative is white oak.The problem might be structural integrity, you'll have to laminate a pc that big and marine epoxy cost and time spent it might be cheaper to just buy the plywood.

Just a heads up, a guy told me once never use Oak on aluminum, you get a chemical reaction. there must be a reason they use plywood.

I just researched this and the best place the I could find was Monaghan in Peterbrough. Best prices and they will deliver to Toronto for a very reasonable fee -- cheaper thant a lot of local suppliers.

4x8 x 3/4 = 85 bucks plus tax

http://www.monaghanlumber.com/

I am in the process of rebuilding my boat now.

A friend asked me about marine grade plywood. I know there was a post before about it, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know where you could buy it? Is it a special order? Price?

Thanx in advance.

Edited by musky_man

8 inches times 48 inches times 1 inches + waste = about 3.5 board feet of lumber. i pay about 2$ a board foot so its a 7-8 dollar board. i can buy an inch and a quarter board at about 6 places within 15 minutes of my house, plane it to one inch in about 5 minutes, cover it in spar varnish and the boat will fall apart around it. all im getting at is lets not overcomplicate it, if you have a buddy with a planer find a local mill or lumber supply and pick out a piece you like - if you're anywhere near hamilton pm me and we'll set you up in the lumber of your choice. of course it may be easier just to laminate some ply and be prepared to repeat ovber the years.

good luck.

The "correct" way to do it is to use marine grade and cover it in resin/fiberglass although what most guys are saying will probably work as well, just won't last or be as permanent.

The advantage mg has is that it is very dense - there aren't voids in the various layers of wood which can create a spot for water to hold if it does get wet at some point. The layers are put together with water proof glue that won't let go if it does get wet and those layers are also thinner so there are more of them than in a standard 3/4" sheet.

I rebuilt the transom in an older bass boat - 2 1/4" thick - 3 courses of marine grade ply offset. Took about 1.5 sheets. When all assembled, it weighed maybe 125 pounds. It is heavy stuff.

• 3 years later...

Just an update for those searching in the future:

Cheapest I could find in the GTA: Robert Bury in Brampton $103/sheet for 3/4 Okoume G2S 7 ply. (pick up 8am-3pm)

Monaghan Lumber in Peterborough sells a marine pine ply for $71/sheet but they wanted $200 to $250 for delivery to Burlington.

The difference between marine plywood and exterior grade fir plywood is in the quality of the plys put together to make the plywood, no knots or voids, the weather resistance and glues are the same. The only application where a marine plywood is required is if the actual hull is made of plywood, like those Sea Fleas that were built from plans in Mechanics Illustrated back in the 50's, especially where there is bending of the sheet going on. For a transon the regular exterior grade fir ( not fur :wallbash: ) will be fine. Don't use pressure treated plywood if the hull is aluminum, electrolysis is nasty.

I too have a floor to replace in the spring. I have been checking all kinds of sites and have decided to go with pressure treated plywood. It may not last 20 years but for me 5 0r 10 will be fine. Just need to treat any cut edges or holes drilled with a sealant. Think about it decks last how long ?

I too have a floor to replace in the spring. I have been checking all kinds of sites and have decided to go with pressure treated plywood. It may not last 20 years but for me 5 0r 10 will be fine. Just need to treat any cut edges or holes drilled with a sealant. Think about it decks last how long ?

Dude what ever you do don't use pressure treated plywood in aluminum boats unless you want it full of holes in 2 years.The electrolysis will destroy your boat

Edited by tb4me

Why not use composite board ?

You'll never have to worry about sealing it or rotting

Actually you may be on to something here..I can see many plus sides to using composites other then the weight of the stuff.

One of the reasons plywood is used is its strength from having no directional grain. Without having some kind of certification from the manufacturer that their product is rated for this use I would hesitate to put all of that time and money in something that can fail in a tragic manner.

Art