if you tow with a mid-size SUV

Raf

I've also been looking at suvs/crossovers for a while now. We only have a Pontiac G6 and the Xterra is exactly what we've been looking at. I don't have a boat or a camper (yet) but plan to have one of the two in the next 2 years so I need one to pull it and fit all my kids crap in the back lol. We have a 10 month old and I'm glad everyone here has confirmed my thoughts on it. Thanks!

You just cannot go wrong with Nissan! The 3.5 litre engine that they built their brand on is absolutely bullet proof! I can assure you, it will go down in history as one of the best motors ever built. I know they just upsized their motors in the Pathfinder to a 4.0 litre, but if its Nissan, it will go the distance.

Ab

My buddy consistently trailers his 19ft Bayliner & 115 HP motor all over the province with a Ford Escape. He's never had a problem and it goes well every time. On the rare occasion he gets to use my other friends 2002 Jimmy, he has always said that the Jimmy tows it better.

go fullsize or go home...

i've got an 00 Envoy - it's small and gutless... pulls both the 16.5 aluminum and 18 fiberglass but it's gutless

next vehicle is gonna be a full size pickup v8, 4 fullsize doors and an 8ft bed

do it once, do it right...

I have to agree with Uncle Buck here that towing with a full size V-8 Pick Up Truck is teats....and you know where I stand on Best Pick Up Trucks...TUNDRA.... :worthy:

Seriously though.......I had a 2004 Ford Escape and it was OK but not like a truck....stopping power and SEEING over the boat while towing in truck is very nice.....also SUV's tend to cost more, sometimes much more for a smaller vehicle.

Either way you decide Good Luck on your choice...

BTW...I have a Internet subscription of Consumer Reports so if you want a certain vehicle looked up as far as customer reviews, etc.....PM me and I'll forward the info...

Bob

go fullsize or go home...

i've got an 00 Envoy - it's small and gutless... pulls both the 16.5 aluminum and 18 fiberglass but it's gutless

next vehicle is gonna be a full size pickup v8, 4 fullsize doors and an 8ft bed

do it once, do it right...

I'm of the belief that not everything has to be supersized to get the job done. Unless you're hauling a boat around every day of the week, full size can be a waste of space, gas and money.

the vehicles i've been researching often times have negligeble or no difference between the 6 and 8 cylinder models fuel mileage wise, particularly on the hwy where this vehicle will spend the majority of its time. a 6 cylinder has to work much harder than an 8 with the same load. when i do tow, it's typically a 400+, sometimes 800km round trip. so why not go with an drivetrain that will stress less?

i've towed a much heavier rig with the cherokee in the past and while the pulling part was no problem; braking and just being manhandled by the trailer were of concern. an escape (as an example) is even smaller/lighter than the cherry.

Billy Bob, you'll have a PM soon

I just scanned all the posts and want to add another one for FORD. I have a 2004 Explorer Sportrac. 4x4 and 16" tires but only a 4' box. Back seats as same as an Explorer which is good becuase we have 2 boys and a dog. With the towing package I have been able to pull everything I have tried. I had a tent trailer and that was no problem. I have a tandem axle 4x8 utility trailer and with a full load of fire wood or bricks it was no prob. As well as my 17' Starcraft with 90hp Yam. IMO it is the absolute best utility type vehicle on the road today. The 2010's are gorgeous. That being said, living in North Bay I would buy a crew cab F150 in a heartbeat if my wife would let me.

P.S. my favourite vehicle before this one was my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 litre H.O. engine. I'd drive on the lake through snow that was over my hood and pull an ice shack to boot.

Raf, you might want to consider a Jeep Liberty with the CRD (common rail diesel). Fuel consumption was pretty good and they will pull a house down. Not a huge amount of room inside, but overall a pretty good SUV.

Raf, you might want to consider a Jeep Liberty with the CRD (common rail diesel). Fuel consumption was pretty good and they will pull a house down. Not a huge amount of room inside, but overall a pretty good SUV.

Worst thing you could do. They are unbelievably unreliable. Leave it to a German to make a diesel engine. If I was you Raf, I would be looking at a Cherokee CRD (with the Mercedes motor) or a 4runner. I have a 96 4Runner myself, and it had the most trunk space of all SUV's I looked at in its class. Not to mention, I get 13L/100km towing a 14.5 w/40hp and full camping gear. I can make it to Lakair from Hamilton on 1 tank. It could use a litte more power I will admit, but you have a smaller boat like me so it will serve you just fine.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Worst thing you could do. They are unbelievably unreliable.

Seems kinda strange that there's a lot of people looking for them because they are reliable and cheap to drive, as for 13l/100km, I do better than that with a Dodge CTD, use 12.5l/100km and I could probably put your rice burner in the back with all the kit and not drop much.. :jerry:

FROM CONSUMER REPORTS.......

Road TestSport V6

The redesigned Liberty scores worse than its predecessor and is the lowest-rated vehicle in its category. Its ride is unsettled, handling is clumsy, and the noisy engine guzzles gas. Its cramped interior is uncomfortable and sloppily finished. The Liberty, based on the low-scoring Dodge Nitro, at least can tow and tackle tough off-road terrain.

The Driving Experience

The Liberty rocks from side to side over bumps. The ride often feels buoyant and unsettled, and at low speeds it can be stiff and snappy. On the highway the ride is more tolerable, but wind noise is excessive. Handling is ponderous, with pronounced body lean and vague steering that offers little feedback. On the track, the Jeep tends to plow ahead prematurely in turns. That compromised performance in our avoidance maneuver. Jeep claims to have retuned the suspension for improved handling and steering.

Acceleration from the hoarse-sounding, 210-horsepower, 3.7-liter, V6 engine feels sluggish at times and delivers just 16 mpg overall. It towed our 3,500-pound test trailer from 0 to 60 in a leisurely 21.1 seconds. The four-speed automatic transmission is not very responsive or refined. Our Liberty has the optional full-time four-wheel-drive system, which is helpful in winter driving. The Liberty can tackle off-road situations well enough. In our braking tests, stops were long in wet and dry conditions. The headlights had good distance and intensity. The high beams added no intensity over low beams but had slightly more distance.

This dog wouldn't be my first pick..... :whistling:

Seems kinda strange that there's a lot of people looking for them because they are reliable and cheap to drive, as for 13l/100km, I do better than that with a Dodge CTD, use 12.5l/100km and I could probably put your rice burner in the back with all the kit and not drop much.. :jerry:

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. They disappear off dealers lots pretty quick. They may not be the best ride or fit and finish of the bunch but they do the job and can tow 5,000# no prob. They are choppy on the highway, but so are most SWB trucks/SUV's.

I too can get from Burlington to Lakair on one tank in a 2010 Jeep GC V8 with a 3,000 boat, motor and trailer also loaded with gear. So your 13.0L/C KM 4 Runner is nothing special.

And by the way, yes the GC 3.0 diesel is a nice truck, try finding one without getting hosed!

FROM CONSUMER REPORTS.......

Road TestSport V6

The redesigned Liberty scores worse than its predecessor and is the lowest-rated vehicle in its category. Its ride is unsettled, handling is clumsy, and the noisy engine guzzles gas. Its cramped interior is uncomfortable and sloppily finished. The Liberty, based on the low-scoring Dodge Nitro, at least can tow and tackle tough off-road terrain.

The Driving Experience

The Liberty rocks from side to side over bumps. The ride often feels buoyant and unsettled, and at low speeds it can be stiff and snappy. On the highway the ride is more tolerable, but wind noise is excessive. Handling is ponderous, with pronounced body lean and vague steering that offers little feedback. On the track, the Jeep tends to plow ahead prematurely in turns. That compromised performance in our avoidance maneuver. Jeep claims to have retuned the suspension for improved handling and steering.

Acceleration from the hoarse-sounding, 210-horsepower, 3.7-liter, V6 engine feels sluggish at times and delivers just 16 mpg overall. It towed our 3,500-pound test trailer from 0 to 60 in a leisurely 21.1 seconds. The four-speed automatic transmission is not very responsive or refined. Our Liberty has the optional full-time four-wheel-drive system, which is helpful in winter driving. The Liberty can tackle off-road situations well enough. In our braking tests, stops were long in wet and dry conditions. The headlights had good distance and intensity. The high beams added no intensity over low beams but had slightly more distance.

This dog wouldn't be my first pick..... :whistling:

Blow and whistle all you want Billy Bob, BUT, the Consumer Reports Bible Bashers are not the Holy Grail some of us seem to think. Pay attention, I was talking CRD...

Yes it is not the most comfortable, nor best finished, or best ride in the pack but value for money on the used market it is pretty darn good!

Not just me talking.............just sayin'

Best used utility vehicles in Canada. Need a vehicle that will work for a living? Check out some of the best.

2002-2007 Jeep Liberty CRD

Who for? Adventure-seekers, fuel price-averse moms, teenagers, diesel enthusiasts, VIA Rail conductors.

What for? Powerful (160 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft of torque) diesel and great fuel economy means the Liberty CRD is perfect for towing and adventuring — but also for long road trips, if you don't mind a rough ride. Great range. Oh, it's got 4WD, too.

Issues? Diesel pumps are often dirty and smelly.

The model to have: 2006 Sport CRD

Awards? Nominated for "North American Truck of the Year" in 2002

Price range: $30,000-40,000 (then), $13,000-22,000 (now)

Though not an SUV I have a Tacoma TRD sport, rated to tow to 6500lbs.

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Milage is great on the hwy and while towning. My rig loaded is around 2600lbs and it runs around 2000rpms at about 110kmph. It is awesome offroad and blazed many a trail on Lake Winnipeg this winter, my only complaint is it didn't have enough weight to pull out the new f150s that were getting stuck. I can house up to 7'6 rods by running them up from the floor of the passenger seat, 8 footers are relegated to the boat.

Blow and whistle all you want Billy Bob, BUT, the Consumer Reports Bible Bashers are not the Holy Grail some of us seem to think. Pay attention, I was talking CRD...

Yes it is not the most comfortable, nor best finished, or best ride in the pack but value for money on the used market it is pretty darn good!

Hey, I don't write the reviews but I would rather judge by a NON-BIAS person then someone telling me to purchase "their" vehicle....so here's one for comparison...BTW I don't own a SUV...

FROM CONSUMER REPORTS:

Among conventional, full-frame SUVs, the Toyota 4Runner is a good choice. It corners relatively well and its suspension suppresses most bumps. The cabin is quiet, and the brakes work well. The 3.4-liter V6 is lively and relatively economical. The standard 4WD setup is a part time system. The V6, stability control, and full-time 4WD became standard in 2001. The 2003 redesign made the 4Runner our top-rated SUV in its class that is suited for serious off-roading. It offers a V6 or V8 engine as well as a small third-row seat. Fuel economy is unimpressive, but reliability is exceptional. The V6 got a five-speed automatic for 2005, and the V8 received more horsepower.

The realities, as I see them:

1. You live, work and commute in the city. This is where the bulk of your driving takes place.

2. 400-800km round trips?? You been fishing the Amazon all those wknd and not told anybody? Round trips of 400 is being pretty generous, and those are usually easy miles, on the 400/69 Towing....

3. ....a boat, motor and trailer that weighs basically nothing. It's got a plastic 5gal tank. You can easily not even have to trailer it with fuel.

If you were looking at buying a 19' Ranger or big ProV and were going to be doing a PILE OF TRAVEL, you'd be smart to buy a V8. You make maybe one or two monthly drives towing a tiny rig that weighs nothing. Towed my 17' Lund all over hell's half acre with a Jimmy, upgraded at 300,000. Tow it now with a 6 banger Explorer. My Dad and I put close to 700,000 kms on his 6 banger Explorer towing tandem axle trailer loads of rock, green wood in 8' lengths, sand, topsoil. And oh yes...a 17' Boston Whaler every wknd from Port Credit to Point au Baril. 300kms every week like clock work for over a decade. Hard, hard miles. If you think your boat stresses a regular 6 cyl pick-up or SUV to the point of burning more gas or working the tranny/motor excessively, I think you're wrong. That's just my opinion. All I can give you is perspective from a lifetime of personal experience. Not Consumers Digest, not websites, just what I've seen in real life. What you're towing, how often you tow, the distances, and where you do all your non-towing driving (the bulk of your driving, as it turns out) just don't add up to needing a v8.

Unless you're making Caesars. In which case, I'll take ten!

Banger, how has your Grand been otherwise. In terms of reliability and mileage.

It has been very reliable and is at 350K kms now. There have been electrical gremlins (blend door and a couple switches) but nothing that made it unusable. The best I can get is about 22 mpg. Usually averages around 17 mpg. I believe the newer 4.7 version is a bit better on gas ... but not alot. It is a very capable vehicle and I have never been stuck

Edited by Banger68

I know it's not what your looking for, but i town my boat with a VW Golf.. Max load in it is 1260lbs.. Way more then my boat ways. Wicked on gas.. Weather I have a trailer on or not.. Around 700kms per 50L tank. I'm not going to buy a truck until i get a BIG boat. Just a waste of money for me at this point in my life.

I looked into buying the CRD Liberty before my 4Runner actually. After reading the reviews I was steered away. I also work with a guy who owned one and he lived at the dealership. He sold it within a year. It is also tiny. Not looking to start an arguement here fellas just giving Raf my opinion.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Raf, your boat is light dude. You don't need anything crazy to tow it. A V-8 is just burning dollars for nothing. My little 2.5l engine makes as much power as most V-8's anyways. I have no problem towing my rig (which is bigger than yours, and heavier) with the forester. The only time I feel it on there is if there is gale force cross winds.Hills don't even make it grunt!! Trust me when I say I put on A LOT of miles towing my trailer around. The only problems I've had are with the trailer itself.....never the tow vehicle. I've even towed a 17ft princecraft w/ 90 with the forester. No problem.......it was almost 3000lbs. I wouldn't tow it a long distance, but 50km was a breeze.

I'm not saying to go buy a subaru, just saying you don't need anything heavy duty to tow your little aluminum around. Especially where you live. I live in the country and put on a lot of miles, so the V-8 days are done!! I've put 56K on mine in less than a year..........just sayin. I've put 160,ooo on the forester with absolutely no issues at all. Oil changes, brakes, tires and a reccomended timing chain replacement since new. I'd wager it will go anywhere your jeep will too :thumbsup_anim:

S