if you tow with a mid-size SUV

Raf

I currently own/tow with a Jeep Cherokee and am starting to look at replacing it. 4x4 is a must. Boat, motor & trailer I'd estimate at around 1000lbs so it's not a big load.

Vehicles I am considering are early-mid 2000s model years:

Another Cherokee

Grand Cherokee w/V8 - I think the I6 is underpowered for the GC.

Chev/GM Jimmy

Ford Explorer

I am not too familiar with the import offerings (pathfinder/4runner - i don't think honda has anything -- CRV is too small)

edit: thansk for the help, got a Grand Cherokee

Edited by Raf

Honda Pilot fits the bill, two different family members have one and love 'em.

I agree. I think my Pilot had more power than my Flex does and it hauls Garry2rs Ranger just fine.

I noticed a guy pulling a bassboat one a single axle (so presumably in the 17' range) with no apparent diffculty using a Ford Escape and another guy pulling a bassboat about that size with a RAV4.

JF

I'll have a closer look at the Pilot.

The RAV4 and Escape are too small and I'd be afraid to take them off pavement. As well, capable of towing does not always equal a good choice for towing.

If you need to get into the backcountry at all, stay away from anything with 4 wheel independent suspension. Try and find a '03-05 ZR2 Blazer/Jimmy Highrider

Edited by bdox

My forester XT hauls around my 16ft alum w/ 40 tiller no problem. It will take you to some pretty crazy offroad spots too.....with ease. I thought it was too small when I got it, but so far, so good. I also have a wife, 2 kids and a 90lb lab that ride in it daily.

S.

If you need to get into the backcountry at all, stay away from anything with 4 wheel independent suspension. Try and find a '03-05 ZR2 Blazer/Jimmy Highrider

Ya, right, the first thing I'd recommend to my enemies, make sure they don't make it to the fight.

I currently own/tow with a Jeep Cherokee and am starting to look at replacing it. 4x4 is a must. Boat, motor & trailer I'd estimate at around 1000lbs so it's not a big load.

Another Cherokee

Chev/GM Jimmy

Ford Explorer

I am not too familiar with the import offerings (pathfinder/4runner - i don't think honda has anything -- CRV is too small)

Get another Cherokee QTII(4low) 05 up has a 5 spd transmission 4.7L so you'll get slightly better mileage then any jeep under 04 and can tow up to 6500#s.

Edited by Bigfisherman

I pulled my DV17 Tracker with a 1995 Jeep GC with the inline 4litre 6 and was fine, lots of low end tourqe, I now pull with another Jeep GC LTD with a 5.7 HEMI and you dont even know the boats there, if you have to get out and pass slow moving vehicles HEMI all the way, the inline 6 was a bullet proof motor with many showing over 400,000 kms and still on the road,

I tow a 16 foot Lund w/ 90 4 stroke, boat, motor and trailer are under 2000 lbs barely. I have been driving a 05 Nissan Xterra since winter 05/06 and its been a great tow vehicle. 265 hp V6 4.0L, tough on gas IF you drive it hard, but not to bad if you take it easy. 80 L tank I can tow about 450 KMs on the hwy, maybe 600 not towing. The Xterra is one of the few SUVs thats not a glorified station wagon. Full frame, solid rear axle. 170,000 Kms and still drives like new, 4 wheel dics brakes are nice for stopping too! The only thing that might keep me from buying another one is I miss having a pick-up.

2005+ nissan xterra. has a very reliable 4.0L V6 engine with 265 hp, plenty of torque and 5000lb towing capacity. i have a 6 speed manual which gives better hwy mileage as compared to other suv's. they also comes with locking differential if you need. the one thing i did notice is that the rear suspension is a bit soft from the factory. i had a leaf installed costing about $200 total and never had a problem since. great vehicle in my opinion and would buy another in a heartbeat.

oops...didn't see pigeontroller posted about the xterra as well. i guess one more vote for the xterra. i just hit 160,000km on mine with the only thing needing replacing was the front u joints.

Edited by JayZ

Another Cherokee

Chev/GM Jimmy

Ford Explorer

I would take a look at the Ford Escape V6,I currently tow with a 2007 Durango with a 4.7L V8 and since I have had the Stratos 175XT it is clear that I don`t need this size truck the Escape may be a nice option.

Honda Pilot dude, you will not regret it. 3.5 liter, 250 HP, tows more than you'll ever need effortlessly. Tons of room, great on gas (VTM engine) very smooth ride with great acceleration.

Had the Jeeps, and had nothing but problems and costly repairs.... Never again. Also forgot to mention I hate their dealerships, freggin rip off central.

i will give another nod to the xterra, i love mine, no problems what so ever out of it, just basic maintenence so far, it has about 125,000 miles on it, pulls my boat from southern ohio to elk lake each year loaded to the hilt.

on the other side i had a gmc jimmy that was a problem a month, so glad to be rid of it, nothing but trouble.

jason

Another Cherokee

Chev/GM Jimmy

Ford Explorer

Yup best non fishing site on the internet... "insert green emoticon giving us all the finger here"

G

I'm a norther boy. I say get a p/u there is no end to what u can pull.

personally i drive a GM and never had a problem pull my boat or anything els

you can also haul the stuff you need if you got a project to build (wood,stones,and the bigger stuff)

Explorer!!!!!!! Try either the 05's for around 12-14grand. It's the last year of that model and is good reliable vehicle. The 06's were a model change and have some issues, make sure the transmission is in good shape and you'll be ok. 07 models are very nice and improved upon, but not that easy to find for 20grand or less.

Honda or Toyota, you're either looking or at least 5grand more, or a year or 2 older than the simular Ford or GM vehilce.

I pull my 18'6" starcraft with a FWD escape and only time I have had a problem pulling it out of the water was on a very steep ramp that everyone has a hard time with if it's a good grade no problem but I will be buying a pick up in a few years and agree that that would always be the way to go for towing but SUV's are nice for the family.

I'll add another vote for the XTerra.

I have an '02 that I bought only a couple months ago but absolutely love it so far. I tow a 14' tinny full floor with 25hp so it's pretty light but you don't even know it's there. Mine is a 5-speed, 3.3L V6 without the supercharger, not the gutsiest vehicle out there but...the supercharged version requires premium gas. I get close to 500km per 60L tank with or without the boat and have 150 000km on it - doesn't burn a spot of oil. The manuals are rated for 3500lbs., the autos for 5000lbs. - go figure?? The timing belts need to be done at around 160k (I think), I did mine right when I got it and that and the water pump and thermostat cost $900 so definitely be aware of that issue with whatever vehicle you buy if it's a belt and not a chain.

Thanks for the input fellas. You've given me some things to think about.

As much as I miss driving a turbocharged vehicle, I'm not keen on running premium in a truck so any of the forced induction vehicles (SC Xterra or the turbo Subaru) are propably out. A Hemi powered Grand Cherokee would be nice.. :whistling:

My Cherokee is one of those 4.0L I6 motors with 400,000kms. Owned it since about 200k and other than maintenance and a power steering pump that went out, never had any issues with it. It has not had any easy life, that's for sure. It's more than capable off-road for my needs and pulls the boat just fine. The motor is bulletproof, has enough power but, the body is starting to show its age. My only complaint is when towing (I do not tow in OD) the RPMs are up there at 95-100km/hr due to the gearing.

As far as SUV vs Pick-up, that's another one I'll have to ponder. I think I would miss having the ability to crash in the back and indoor storage. Also, how the heck do you guys fit an 8'+ rod in the bed of one of these smaller pickups? I can fit an 8'6" rod in the Cherokee along the ceiling. I know it can go in the boat but I need to get to my boat. ;)

Edited by Raf