New Boat Suggeston & Experience

RangerGuy

I haven't been here for awhile, been really biten by the dog trail game :)

But love my walleye,musky fishing and duck hunting hehe!

We are currently trying to decide on a boat to replace our old Ranger we sold in the fall.

I'm looking to buy new or lightly used 20' Lund Wilderness Alaskan Dual Console.

Looking for input since I can't find one anywhere to check out in person.

Check the U.S. You should be able to find one down there. See if any of the Lund dealers around here have one in stock so you can check it out in person. Unfortunately, the prices down in the U.S. are still so much better that it makes it tough to buy a boat here.

I have fished and hunted out of a 20' alaskan tiller. Amazing boat. It sold me. I ordered a 16' console for myself. At the last minute I changed it to an Explorer simply for the raised deck and storage. I do hunt and fish out of it with no problems. I would highly recommend the Alaskan for you. If you hunt, get the camo pattern, I wish I did. It is tough and holds up well. My buddies boat has that and it's at least four years old with no problems in his either.

Thank you guys for the input. I'm expecting the 20' Alaskan to be pretty stable, I don't expect it to be as stable as the Pro-V but would like the boat to be atleast as stable as my old 17' Ranger with a 83" beam.

Next important question Dealers?... I'm looking for a dealer with a good reputation on Service.

Any suggestions?

Just DON'T buy a Tracker (CRACKER) :worthy:

All I can say is Bay City in Hamilton. Bought 6 boats, and motors I can't count how many. But thats the closest dealer for me and I found them the cheapest.

Just my opinion

Edited by Fish Farmer

Guest gbfisher

Thank you guys for the input. I'm expecting the 20' Alaskan to be pretty stable, I don't expect it to be as stable as the Pro-V but would like the boat to be atleast as stable as my old 17' Ranger with a 83" beam.

Next important question Dealers?... I'm looking for a dealer with a good reputation on Service.

Any suggestions?

Call Clarence. Bay City Marine in Hamilton.

Where are you located?

I would select a dealer that carries the makes and models of boats and motors I've got on my "short list" and who are relatively close for service. The last thing you want to do is buy a boat and have no service nearby as your savings on the purchase are quickly consumed by your time, energy and gas trailering back & forth a greater distance for service. I would also say you'll get better after sales service and service overall by continuing to work with and building that relationship with the dealer you purchase the boat from as we all want our boats fix now or by tomorrow when something goes wrong, right! If you end up somewhere else chances are pretty good you're just the next in line as dealers look after customers who have purchased boats and motors from them first.

Hope this helps.

Cheers G.

• 6 months later...

Ok so I got a decent quote on an 18' foot Lund Alaskan.

Here's my next couple of questions.

1) Why is there a $1800 difference in price between the E-Tec and Opti? Is it because the E-tec is a more expensive engine or am I paying for both motors in a roundabout way because lund only ships with Mercs?

2) Would anybody with a new merc mind sharing the cost of the dealer required maintenance to keep the warranty valid on a new merc?

Oh I didn't ask the dealer yet because I wanted a consumers view ;)

Thanks again everybody for the great advice :)

Edited by RangerGuy

Guest gbfisher

I wouldn't buy an Etec myself. It's the only engine I have seen problems with.

The injectors specifically.

Edited by gbfisher

Bought a Lund from a dealer in Southern Ontario and have had no issues with a small bit of warranty work handled by a dealer in Lakefield who was not the seller.

135 Merc Opti. The plugs are expensive and the number six one is difficult to get at but they do last as much as 300 to 400 hrs.

The impeller does however need to be changed more frequently, very tight tolerances on it. Most of the usual maintenance was done by me/us and the warranty was still good so long as I kept the records and receipts for proof.

Tom.

I,ll think you,ll find the price difference is the rigging, most boats come rigged for mercs,cables, gauges ect, personally i,d go with the e-tec.

Waynechute has it correct.

Because Lund is part of Brunswick it comes rigged for Merc.

Also dealers can purchase as a package to get better pricing.

But often can recoup a little on a loose Merc too.

We sell both Merc and Evinrudes. I'm partial to the E-tec, maybe it's because it's ingrained after so long.

Injector issues with Etecs? Hmmmm I would disagree with that. They have proven to be as reliable as any other make. Seen very few issues.

Most problems fuel related are common on all makes....Bad gas and not using stabilizers!