Stable Canoe Recommendations

ironstone74

Doing some research on small canoes and came across this thread. A question for those who say the Sportspal doesn't paddle well - How do you mean that? Do you referring to square stern models or all Sportspals? (Square stern canoes all have the same issue of not paddling well).

The full transom model takes considerable effort to paddle, but doable. much nicer with a small electric or gas on there. The 14ft sportspal full transom can also hold a 3hp motor.

So she's comfortable paddling solo then I take it. A short canoe is going to require some skills to keep tracking straight but will be a joy to paddle heeled over to the gunwale. Should be a few choices out there, depending on $.

Maybe a short Sportspal that paddles like a scow may not be a bad thing for her as it would be easier to keep straight.

The J stroke is super easy to learn. I use that or an underwater recovery stroke to keep me going. The J can be learned,kinda, at a demo day I would think, if the people running it are smart.

I'm a canoe snob so don't think sponsons are good for learning how to keep the open side up ;) They have their uses though so won't discount that.

Maybe a short Sportspal that paddles like a scow may not be a bad thing for her as it would be easier to keep straight.

If she likes to paddle(as opposed to the OP who was looking for something stable to fish in IIRC) do not get a Sportspal. Find a place she can 'test drive' a good 14 footer. If she needs light, buy kevlar. It costs but it will give her a more usable and pleasurable canoe.

Unless she uses the oarlocks on the 12' Sportspal and rows it she'll be paddling in circles LOL!

I do love the Sportspals though. They're a light, stable and surprisingly durable craft for hacking around in back lakes.

I'd never consider paddling one on a canoe trip though.

Unless she uses the oarlocks on the 12' Sportspal and rows it she'll be paddling in circles LOL!

I do love the Sportspals though. They're a light, stable and surprisingly durable craft for hacking around in back lakes.

I'd never consider paddling one on a canoe trip though.

I'm not putting makeup on a pig here, but the 14ft pointed isn't all that bad. My brother, who I consider the biggest canoe snob, owns a chestnut prospector (which I've used throughout my years) and even HE admitted that my sportspal isn't all that bad. Infact, when paddling in pairs, me and Sarah can actually keep up to him when he's got a partner.

now if your paddling solo, STAY AWAY from sportspal, it's like paddling a bar of soap, especially in the wind. I put rocks at the front just to keep it semi-straight.

Clearly I'm biased, as I own and love my sporty! laugh.gif

I wouldn't want to have a short canoe in very rough water, 16' or 17' is the only way I would go, any of the people I saw on our trips in Sportspal's or Coleman's were paddling a tank & they noticed how much harder they had to paddle to try & keep up especially in the wind, any of the canoe rental shops sell off their inventor at the end of the year

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

I had a very stable 17ft Old Town. Me and a buddy (who I trust with my life in a canoe) could stand and fish out of it no problem. We could put 4 dozen duck decoys, all our gear, guns, and a dog in it, and go anywhere. I loved that canoe.

It was a great boat until someone decided they liked it more than me, and stole it!

S.

Thanks everyone. She has agreed to look at a 14 ft Kevlar after I relayed your comments.

If you're anywhere near Atikokan call Canoe Canada Outfitters. From time to time they sell off their rental boats at a huge discount.

I know for a fact that they recently had a couple of ultralight kevlar Swift Cruisers for sale for around $600. That's a design based on the time tested Sawyer Cruiser which was a staple for many many years.

Brand new that boat is well over 3 grand.

The Sportspal is and always was made in North Bay Ontario.

The American version is a knockoff.

http://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/

It shows here that sportspal is made in US, and I believe the Radisson is made in Canada. Not a pissing match, was just wondering if you guys are talking the sportspal from US or Radisson from Canada.

Anyways, I could care less where its made, whats your thoughts on Radisson canoes, are they junk, or same thing with lighter gauge aluminum? Lots of conflicting information on google when you type in sportspal and radisson.

Edited by doack

http://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/

It shows here that sportspal is made in US, and I believe the Radisson is made in Canada. Not a pissing match, was just wondering if you guys are talking the sportspal from US or Radisson from Canada.

Anyways, I could care less where its made, whats your thoughts on Radisson canoes, are they junk, or same thing with lighter gauge aluminum? Lots of conflicting information on google when you type in sportspal and radisson.

www.bwmarineproducts.com

Sportspal is made in Canada. (north bay)

Radisson is made in Canada, and sold in US.

Not sure about any US knockoffs or manufacturers, but the ones built in North Bay are good quality...not the best paddling canoe as has been discussed (i still raise my nose and say its good whistling.gif ) but a well built and easily repaired canoe.

IMG-20120425-00038.jpg

www.bwmarineproducts.com

Sportspal is made in Canada. (north bay)

Radisson is made in Canada, and sold in US.

Not sure about any US knockoffs or manufacturers, but the ones built in North Bay are good quality...not the best paddling canoe as has been discussed (i still raise my nose and say its good whistling.gif ) but a well built and easily repaired canoe.

IMG-20120425-00038.jpg

Thanks Rodcaster, is the Radisson made in same plant in North Bay, or is it a sister company somewhere else? And is it the same exact canoe, or is there a difference between Radisson and Sportspal?

Edited by doack

Thanks Rodcaster, is the Radisson made in same plant in North Bay, or is it a sister company somewhere else? And is it the same exact canoe, or is there a difference between Radisson and Sportspal?

Different sticker is all, from what I understand. The radisson guy is a white man like davey crocket, the sportspal guy is native.

Yes they are made in the same plant. Great workers in a clean plant. I couldn't be more impressed with their work quality and service.